Letting a part dry after spraying

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon all

A ??

What do you put a kit or parts into to dry after spraying?

I tend to use a large plastic storage box or shoe box. Read somewhere that the box should have a grill of sorts to let the fumes out?? Getting the occasional bit of dust!

Silly question possibly

Bob

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Me personally i just cover with kitchen roll. The air can still get in and about it but it'll keep the majority of dust off it. Some parts i don't even bother to cover.

Suppose you could use a light cotton or nylon sheet. Although nylon has more static properties to it so might attract dust more.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I use one of those large plastic storage boxes. I have holes in the lid and a low wattage bulb to provide a bit of warmth. The bit of black tape is just to cover where the lid is cracked. A bit of thin plywood makes the base level.
P1050670.JPG

P1050669.JPG

P1050671.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have a food dehydrator. Even when not switched on it's a good, dust free but vented place to let things dry.

Then if I'm impatient I can give parts a bit of warmth too

2024-05-1213.00.318562199172141392867.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wait what!. We have to have drying boxes as well! I have an air fryer and a mini oven, will they work?
Seriously though, if they fit in the spray booth, I just leave them there a while until the paint is dry. Cover the opening with a clean cloth.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Wait what!. We have to have drying boxes as well! I have an air fryer and a mini oven, will they work?
Seriously though, if they fit in the spray booth, I just leave them there a while until the paint is dry. Cover the opening with a clean cloth.

Wow, you all seem to take this paint drying seriously, I just spray and leave it!
Ok, you two have convinced me!!!
Saves a job, more time to ponder on, do I Matt spray today or not???
There’s always tomorrow!!!
I mean, I don’t want to rush things, (not that I do). Work averted, glad I looked at my phone now.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The dust is prob getting pulled in by the spray booth anyway Bob. The best start to a dust free finish is probably keeping the spray booth clean.
I always hoover the booth and desk first, impossible to keep bugs, spiders out. I would imagine where ever you sprayed dust etc is a problem. Of course ships being long and especially 1/200 it's a big problem. Will ask modelshed on YouTube, he's built some superb 1/200 kits and is helpful?

Was wondering if a ceiling extractor fan might help?

Thanks all some good stuff!!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Dust, what dust, I do not do dust.... All I do is dog hair when the storm into the room looking for their treat or to see what the noise is about, or SWMBO decides it is haie washing time and walks about brushing her hair.... And if I complain all I get is Aaaaawwwwwww! Shaddap!!!!!.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I always hoover the booth and desk first, impossible to keep bugs, spiders out. I would imagine where ever you sprayed dust etc is a problem. Of course ships being long and especially 1/200 it's a big problem. Will ask modelshed on YouTube, he's built some superb 1/200 kits and is helpful?

Was wondering if a ceiling extractor fan might help?

Thanks all some good stuff!!
Probably doing as much as you can then Bob. As the booth is an extract fan all airborne particles will be pulled in there across the workpiece by the extraction airflow. I don’t think a ceiling extract fan will help with this, though it will keep you cooler in the summer ;)
My booth is filthy, by the way. If I’m spraying something dust sensitive I give it a quick brush out and then spray the inside with water to keep the dust down. I actually think most of the dust we struggle with is dried paint aerosols off of the filter fronts.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The issue of dust is far worse if you're spraying a gloss finish. On tanks and aircraft it's just the first stage in weathering.
As some will know I share my work room with the Mrs who sews and knits and that creates fluff and dust etc so i have to be more careful.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Well, laquer and acrylic paints sprayed at low pressure dry very quickly anyway. I've also gotten into the habit of using a small hairdryer ("borrowed" from my daughter - she just doesn't know it yet). This really makes life a lot easier. Especially with clear coats.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Upturned food container for 72nd and slightly bigger for 35th If I can be bothered.

The Mrs gave me one of her old unused make up brushes to use as a duster in case I forget to cover.