Letting a part dry after spraying

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Bob I'm a slob all the way with Si on this one same as him with 72nd (armour) even then only for a varnish coat 35th will just have to live with it. Dave
Spray and go......see what I did there

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow, you all seem to take this paint drying seriously, I just spray and leave it!
YES John so do i as the real thing get dust on it so i just spray an leave it as knownin my luck id proberly get a finger mark on the painted area

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
What do you put a kit or parts into to dry after spraying?

I use a heated horticultural propagator a bit like this. . .

pr2000041236.jpg

Silly question possibly

Not at all. . .

Miko (relatively dust free)

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The issue of dust is far worse if you're spraying a gloss finish. On tanks and aircraft it's just the first stage in weathering.
As some will know I share my work room with the Mrs who sews and knits and that creates fluff and dust etc so i have to be more careful.
Glad I'm not the only one sharing the space with SWMBO, and for sewing and embroidery. Must admit I've not had a problem with drying on the work bench. But then I'm only doing matt AB so as someone said, dries pretty quickly.

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Wow, you all seem to take this paint drying seriously, I just spray and leave it!

I'm with you - A dedicated paint drying 'thing' would have never occurred to me... Mind you, I do have a propagator standing idle.

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
. Mind you, I do have a propagator standing idle.

You know it makes sense! I'm considering installing a small vacuum device to mine to remove those last dust motes that always seem to settle where they are least welcome!

Miko (taking proverbial a sledgehammer to solve peanut valued problem! Ha!)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You know it makes sense! I'm considering installing a small vacuum device to mine to remove those last dust motes that always seem to settle where they are least welcome!

Miko (taking proverbial a sledgehammer to solve peanut valued problem! Ha!)
You wouldn’t solve it, you’d just make it worse. You’d be better off putting a filtered pressure feed on it. Any leaks in the arrangement would then blow outwards and not let dust in. All a vacuum device will do is pull in dust from the surrounding area. Clean room design 101…..work in a filtered air positive pressure environment to keep out contaminants.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You wouldn’t solve it, you’d just make it worse. You’d be better off putting a filtered pressure feed on it. Any leaks in the arrangement would then blow outwards and not let dust in. All a vacuum device will do is pull in dust from the surrounding area. Clean room design 101…..work in a filtered air positive pressure environment to keep out contaminants.
Trivia but that reminds me of the debate we always had between US & UK vehicle painters.

As a rule they ran their spray booths under positive pressure, to keep the dust out as you say. In the UK we run negative pressure. Not great as dust always tracks in from somewhere, but it stops the harmful fumes being blown out and reaching the unprotected souls outside!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko

Brilliant!! didn't think of that, best use the vacuum outlet and not input! It's be warm too!

Miko (learning stuff today)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Trivia but that reminds me of the debate we always had between US & UK vehicle painters.

As a rule they ran their spray booths under positive pressure, to keep the dust out as you say. In the UK we run negative pressure. Not great as dust always tracks in from somewhere, but it stops the harmful fumes being blown out and reaching the unprotected souls outside!
Weird. I’d think in a professional environment like that you’d just have HEPA filtered clean air inlet and carbon filtered foul air outlets on your HVAC? You could even have clean air laminar flow over the spraying area inside the room if you needed a higher grade of air quality. Both strategies are commonplace in the Biopharma world and have simple design and control so I’m surprised it hasn’t crossed over.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I think I'll just paint myself pink with yellow spots and run around going slobby slobby slobby........oh wrong one ok I'll put some weight on and run around going slobby blobby