LTD models IAR 80 A in 1/48

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This has now got the decals on , bit of a trial as they were very fragile , most of the crosses splintering and having to be carefully joined back together. Eventually though they all went on , the only problem now was the yellow I had sprayed under the wings , round the fuselage and on the tail and cowling was too pale . Seeing it next to the decals really highlighted the difference .
Obviously this would have bugged me to death so the only option was to overspray the yellow bits with a more orange yellow . This was successful but a stray bit of masking tape pulled off some of the port underwing cross. I should be able to touch it up though. IMG_4431.jpegIMG_4432.jpegIMG_4433.jpegIMG_4434.jpegIMG_4435.jpegIMG_4436.jpeg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work as ever Tony.
It’s a shame about the decal because the paint scheme was going so well. I’m sure you’ll sort it.
I think I get one of those ‘oh no!’ Incidents in every build. I kind of expect them now! There will always be something along the journey that does not go to plan. Just bite the bullet and get on with it.

Have you a spare cross or will you touch in with paint?

ATB
Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
the thin blue and white lines will be a test but masking to get a straight line is a no no
I guess that risks pulling more of the decal up.
I've been racking my brain to recall any Romanian crosses that I can give you that would be suitable. I don't think I have any in 1/48. I did spot these on a Google search:

Either way, I'm sure that you'll sort the marking issue. :thumb2:
ATB
Paul

D

Deleted member 6598

masking to get a straight line is a no no so its going to have to be done freehand
What about using some Post-It notes to mask it? Cut a few millimetres off the top of the note (to get rid of the dust that always collects there) and it should probably be safe on the decal.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Definitely worth changing the yellow, it would bug me too. Shame about the collateral damage to the decal but I'm sure you'll fix it up just fine.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I guess that risks pulling more of the decal up.
I've been racking my brain to recall any Romanian crosses that I can give you that would be suitable. I don't think I have any in 1/48. I did spot these on a Google search:

Either way, I'm sure that you'll sort the marking issue. :thumb2:
ATB
Paul
Definitely worth changing the yellow, it would bug me too. Shame about the collateral damage to the decal but I'm sure you'll fix it up just fine.
What about using some Post-It notes to mask it? Cut a few millimetres off the top of the note (to get rid of the dust that always collects there) and it should probably be safe on the decal.
Thanks for the input guys , I thought I’d first give it a go hand painting , and if that didnt work then maybe some more decals. As it turns out it doesnt look bad at all after a blue faced ,breath holding session with the fine paintbrush! What do you reckon ? IMG_4456.jpegIMG_4457.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Impressive Tony, your hand is definitely steadier than mine.
Adds to the realism to me. In the field, any damage around large markings would be initially repaired by hand before being given to a larger repair unit for spraying.
Give yourself a big pat on the back and double of whatever is your favourite tipple.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That is incredible!
You’d be hard pressed to spot the retouching on the model if you didn’t know where it was.
Well done mate :thumb2:

Paul

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been of grid for a while Tony, just caught up on this build.your putting some great work into this, keep up the great work.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Impressive decal rescue Tony. I've done it with shark-mouth markings, but that cross is reasonably complex.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the cowling on and its now had a panel line wash and a couple of coats of matt varnish. Highlighting the panel lines was a bit of a job as they are very shallow so it took about four attempts. Every time it came to wiping off the excess I just ended up taking it all off . Also masked up and painted the sliding section of the canopy - the windscreen will be painted later , ive got to drill a hole in it for the strange aerial fixing .IMG_4475.jpegIMG_4476.jpegIMG_4474.jpegIMG_4477.jpeg