LTD models IAR 80 A in 1/48

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is looking great Tony. I like the Romanian scheme and paint finish is top drawer.
Not long to the finish now and the final reveal. Looking forward to it.
ATB
Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
With this being a limited run kit most of the smaller pieces need a fair bit of cleaning up or if they are round section ,replacing . So the machine guns (4x ) ,aerial , pitot and undercarriage retraction jacks have all been made out if various sizes of brass tube / rod . Theyve had a coat of etch primer ready for the paint. IMG_4479.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I'll bet this kit has never had so much love and skill lavished on it. You're doing a superb job.
Cheers jim , you could say its needed a little help here and there ! Cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Up on its own two feet now , just a case of all the last little bits now , guns , aerial, pitot , gunsight etc. Ive unmasked and painted the windscreen and drilled the hole in the top corner . The aerial is a strange thing - going through this hole and onto the coaming inside the windscreen , partially obscuring the pilots view !? Why they had it like this Ive no idea . IMG_4480.jpegIMG_4481.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
More final little bits done today . The vac form canopy has been unmasked and a rear view mirror added using one of my trusty nail art jewels . These have a mirror like silver finish on the underside that is perfect for mirrors , just needs the red painting. Ive added the aerial wire and gave it a few insulators with blobs of poly cement ( tube ) again these will be painted later. Nav lights have been added to the wingtips with Tamiya clear red and green and the four aileron mass balances stuck on under the wing . A bit of soot staining was applied round the vent pipes under the cowling and round the guns , I applied very little to the two main exhausts as most photos show hardly any staining here .
Last job now is fixing the canopy and then its done , photo time . Cheers tonyIMG_4482.jpegIMG_4483.jpegIMG_4484.jpegIMG_4485.jpegIMG_4486.jpegIMG_4487.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tony I don't know what is more impressive the build or the cleanliness of that paint booth !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tony I don't know what is more impressive the build or the cleanliness of that paint booth !
Thanks john , it doesn't usually look like that ! I’d only just put a new filter on it , usually its a filthy ,hairy grey !

• Haha
Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
With a final push its now done . I scratched the strange double reflector gunsight and fitted it , made a grab handle for the canopy and fitted slide rails for the same using steel wire (guitar string) . A little bit of chipping was added on the wing and cowling leading edges and on the pilots grab handles - none on the wing though as the cockpit is way behind the trailing edge ! Heres a few pics to finish off the thread , more to come on a ‘completed’ thread .thanks to anyone whos been following , cheers tony IMG_4500.jpegIMG_4502.jpegIMG_4503.jpegIMG_4504.jpegIMG_4505.jpegIMG_4506.jpegIMG_4507.jpegIMG_4516.jpegIMG_4509.jpeg

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Tony,
I just had a catch up on this. very nicely done indeed and a great repair to the wing decal.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautifully done Tony. The gunsight and the other small details are the ‘icing on the cake’.
The weathering is spot on too. It’s there but not overpowering.

Quality work
Paul

john hutton

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Tony,
Only just found this. What a fantastic job you have made of this apparently troublesome kit. Scratch building in the Cockpit , in fact all the additions you have added is top notch work mate. a great save on the lower wing decal too. Plane in it's finished livery look's fabulous .

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks great Tony, you should be very pleased with that result