My first layout

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Hi Les I have sorted out your pictures for you.
All you have to do is click on the "full Image" option when you have uploaded them and are ready to post the thread.

AS it is on the same layout, I have also merged the two threads to keep everything together where we can find it. ;)
Thank you for doing that for me, my thread did look a bit untidy :thumb2:

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Next big job is preparing the riverbed and banks. As you can see I have dug out the river and temporarily inserted the shortened viaduct which needs to be completed. Under the other tunnel by the lock I have removed the excess wood so the river is at the correct depth. It looks very deep, but the river bed and banks will be built up a bit so hopefully it looks more realistic. So out with the sculpture mould to create this. I have started to build a low road bridge over the river this will also help me judge the depth of the water so the narrow boats can go under. Once this is laid, it’s back to the beach to do some more work there.IMG_3934.jpegIMG_3931.jpegIMG_3929.jpegIMG_3935.jpegIMG_3936.jpegIMG_3937.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Les well from what i can see as the pics look blured so can you please post full size pics then i'll be able to see your wonderfull work ?
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, I did post them full size. If I click on them they seem clearer…
HI Les yes a bit better but om my laptop the pic is only about 4inches sqaure but when you load your pics up an it say insert pics if you press the insert an hit full size the picks will come up a lot clearer an bigger which to look at you wonderfull work needs to be so but thats just my opinion but from what i see nice work

Reactions: MrT

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
HI Les yes a bit better but om my laptop the pic is only about 4inches sqaure but when you load your pics up an it say insert pics if you press the insert an hit full size the picks will come up a lot clearer an bigger which to look at you wonderfull work needs to be so but thats just my opinion but from what i see nice work
Thank you Chris. I did press full size for the pictures maybe there is something I’m missing; I will check it out.
Thank you Ron. I agree there are so many conflicting opinions about modelling. I mainly look for inspiration as I do not have anyone to bounce things off. I have many hurdles to overcome track laying, electrics, analogue or DCC to name but a few. I want to keep it simple because I’m not a purist I want to enjoy it and not get bogged down in the mud of technical perfection. I will look at your method though. Thank you for your input.
Thank you Ron. I agree there are so many conflicting opinions about modelling. I mainly look for inspiration as I do not have anyone to bounce things off. I have many hurdles to overcome track laying, electrics, analogue or DCC to name but a few. I want to keep it simple because I’m not a purist I want to enjoy it and not get bogged down in the mud of technical perfection. I will look at your method though. Thank you for your input.
Hello Ron, I have painted the sea ready for a coat of clear epoxy or water effects or as you suggested varnish and silicone. What do you think will it pass as sea by a beach? IMG_3942.jpeg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
While waiting for some acrylic colours to arrive and standing back to ponder the beach construction I have made a start on the lock and river.
I know to some of you, it may seem like I will have uncompleted projects going on the layout, I feel that the river and beach scenes are an extension of each other. Anyway enough babbling from someone who hasn’t had his first cup of coffee and his slice of toast yet I will elaborate. You will see from the pictures that the river from one end of the lock has not been constructed yet, this is because I am trying to work out where the viaduct will be for the river to flow under, this in turn is dictated by the track incline and decline position; so my thinking is not to plot the river course until the track is planned. However before I do that I need to put the backscene up. My head is starting to hurt. My wife built some beach huts yesterday it was nice to have her there with me working on the layout, I find her input invaluable her perspective contrasts well with my thinking. Anyway guys as convoluted as my build is, here are some pictures. The tunnel where the river flows through still needs work, but the mirror installed gives it some interesting depth.
View attachment 508791View attachment 508792View attachment 508793View attachment 508794View attachment 508795View attachment 508796View attachment 508797
That’s beautiful I hope some day make a Static model railroad using old Airfix railroad kits and the theme will be somewhere in the UK.Maybe I need to get started soon I’m not getting younger lol. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: MrT

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
That’s beautiful I hope some day make a Static model railroad using old Airfix railroad kits and the theme will be somewhere in the UK.Maybe I need to get started soon I’m not getting younger lol. Thanks for sharing
If you can, do it. I find the process therapeutic and totally relaxing. I do not rush anything, I frequently stop and ponder, it is surprising how some of my inspiration comes from just looking at my progress

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
If you can, do it. I find the process therapeutic and totally relaxing. I do not rush anything, I frequently stop and ponder, it is surprising how some of my inspiration comes from just looking at my progress
I might this winter. I do the same with my current layouts never in a rush and running them are relaxing

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Hello everyone, I will try not to bore you with too much information. Just a little bit of background. I have been a fan of the various buildings card kits that are around. I have tried several different companies even though I have been told that some are not so good. I am not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoy what I build ( It is my way of relaxing.) The problem is I was running out of space to but all these finished kits. I am a complete novice and have square eyes from watching Utube videos on how to do...
My wife has agreed to let me have the kids old play room which is 16'x11' :nerd::thumb2:. so now the journey begins. because my main interest are the buildings, I have decided to only have a twin looped track going all the way round for animation. here my very patient friends are some pictures of the room. It looks very cluttered as I was constantly moving things all the time while I prepared the base. I told you I am a complete novice. If you are interested I will give you updates of my work. and guys i have hundreds of questions if you don't mind.
View attachment 508562View attachment 508563View attachment 508564View attachment 508565View attachment 508566
Hello again my friends. Firstly can I say thank you for the interest you guys are showing in my efforts. It is both encouraging and heart warming as I realise that most of the posts on here are for military modelling.
So here is an update
I have not had an opportunity to do much this last few days, however I have been tinkering with the beach part of the layout. I have added a few random rocks and large stones as I felt it looked a bit to uniformed. I am reasonably happy with the painting of the sea so proceeded to add the sand. I like the white of the sand even though it is unlikely to be like that in reality. My layout is a mishmash of things I like, so purists please look away lol. Today I intend to lay a thin coat of epoxy and then a ripple and wave effect. So wish me luck with thatIMG_3951.jpegIMG_3950.jpegIMG_3953.jpeg

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Hello again my friends. Firstly can I say thank you for the interest you guys are showing in my efforts. It is both encouraging and heart warming as I realise that most of the posts on here are for military modelling.
So here is an update
I have not had an opportunity to do much this last few days, however I have been tinkering with the beach part of the layout. I have added a few random rocks and large stones as I felt it looked a bit to uniformed. I am reasonably happy with the painting of the sea so proceeded to add the sand. I like the white of the sand even though it is unlikely to be like that in reality. My layout is a mishmash of things I like, so purists please look away lol. Today I intend to lay a thin coat of epoxy and then a ripple and wave effect. So wish me luck with that
So, the resin is poured, I even purely by error managed to create a Little Rock pool, rocks to be painted when resin has cured. Then apply the ripples and small waves the resin has even given the effect of wet sand…IMG_3963.jpegIMG_3965.jpegIMG_3966.jpegIMG_3964.jpegIMG_3968.jpeg

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Hello chums, lol, not sure how to address everyone without sounding formal or sounding like someone who you would wish to avoid. Anyhow yet another update…I have had a couple of days of head scratching, pondering, consulting with my better half and a little cussing. I now realise that there has to be a certain amount of planning. My notion of the layout being organic in its growth has come to the point where it has to have an injection of a processed formula. Enough of me trying to come across as clever, my wife wants two stations on the layout, so I have had to plan where it is going to go, which I have done, although the pictures show it looks chaotic I know where the track will go. It means scratch building another bridge over the river. Then I realised that I had cut off a portion of the layout from any traffic, so am in the process of scratch building a fly over.
(no picture of this yet) I have painted the river bed ready to take the resin. The colours look strange, but I am going for a murky river look and felt the colours would add the illusion of depth. However guys I am open to your input if you think the colours are wrong. I am also playing with mirrors to give the illusion of depth / continuation under the small viaduct the temporary buildings placed will hopefully avoid anyone seeing themselves when looking at this area. Sorry about all the reading. Hope you are not bored. Here are some pictures explaining said life story.

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3990.jpeg
    IMG_3990.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3989.jpeg
    IMG_3989.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3988.jpeg
    IMG_3988.jpeg