Valentine Mk 1 1/35 scale AFV CLUB AF 35178.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Down, w/o knowing traverse mechanics I'd imagine so due to age & Russian tendency to simplest solution.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Russian tendency to simplest solution.
This is a British tank, though, so almost certainly the opposite is true ;)

Years ago, I was talking to someone about the turret hatch on the early Crusader tanks, which sort of slides horizontally backwards. I mentioned that this seemed a pretty good idea, but a kind of peculiarly British-engineered solution as well, and wondered why no other tanks used it. “Because,” he replied, “the catch holding that hatch open is also British-engineered.”

Anyway, I maintain that the barrel up will be more interesting for the diorama, which you can call artistic licence if it turns out to be impossible to have that way IRL ;)

• Haha

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’d go for down as well John. My mechanical mind says so and I tend not to argue with it much these days :tongue-out:

That base is looking very good :thumb2:
I bow to your superior mechanical mind Si, so thank you.

Tank turrets are fairly well-balanced, else they become hard to traverse on an incline, so I wouldn’t think it’s implausible for this one to have its gun barrel up into the air. And there will be a turret lock that secures it in whatever position the turret is in when it’s applied, but I admit it would be odd for that to be engaged with the turret at about 10 o'clock rather than at 12 or 6.

Think this up or down is my fault for not saying why the tank is actually in the water. My idea is it has been blown, or turned away from the explosion ( see the hole on the high land ) and landed thus. Causing the crew to abandon it.

I would say down as the clutch on the traverse box would have slipped given the weight and momentum of the turret/barrel.
Thanks Paul.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Down, w/o knowing traverse mechanics I'd imagine so due to age & Russian tendency to simplest solution.
Thanks Paul.
This is a British tank, though, so almost certainly the opposite is true ;)

Years ago, I was talking to someone about the turret hatch on the early Crusader tanks, which sort of slides horizontally backwards. I mentioned that this seemed a pretty good idea, but a kind of peculiarly British-engineered solution as well, and wondered why no other tanks used it. “Because,” he replied, “the catch holding that hatch open is also British-engineered.”

Anyway, I maintain that the barrel up will be more interesting for the diorama, which you can call artistic licence if it turns out to be impossible to have that way IRL ;)
An interesting reply, thanks .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well apart from doing some work on the base, adding some tuffs of long grass I've been busy finding out colours for the Valentine. Now you all know I would rather spray in 4 BO;), and did, BUT none of the Lend Lease its seems were in green but a SCC 2 Brown. What a nasty looking colour !
So I've been looking for a some what lighter shade as this Valentine will have been outside in the sun and a winter maybe two.
Just finished stripping it down , it even removed the metal primer and black . Once washed and dried I will start again.
In the famous words of Arnie " I'll be back "

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You think so? It’s a kind of milk-chocolaty brown, that IMHO looks not bad at all. But maybe that’s because I like milk chocolate :smiling3:
Looks more dark to me lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m basing that description on the colour chips in Mike Starmer’s books, which are actual model paint mixed to match the real paint. If you want, I can look up the mixes he recommends.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’m basing that description on the colour chips in Mike Starmer’s books, which are actual model paint mixed to match the real paint. If you want, I can look up the mixes he recommends.
Hi, well I've got some chocolate brown ! and some lighter browns. I'm thinking as It's been abandoned for several seasons the paint might well have faded somewhat .
Now if you have some mixes from one of his books that would be great, I shall look fwd to seeing them :thumb2:.Of course I'm using AK 3 rd gen but having an idea on the colour would be great .

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Wobble,
I seem to be detecting a theme here, if the driving is so bad in the Russian Army I can reccomend a good driving school 'You Crash 'Em - We Pass 'Em'....

Base looks really good, you had me worried when I saw the WWS bottle (ok for rail layouts), but then you explained it was for your diluted pva, I cancelled Matron....

Cheers

Wibble

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Now if you have some mixes from one of his books that would be great, I shall look fwd to seeing them :thumb2:.Of course I'm using AK 3 rd gen but having an idea on the colour would be great .
He recommends 5 × Revell 86 Olive Brown + 6 × Revell 84 Leather Brown — these being the enamels, if you were to mix the acrylics it may nor may not end up the same colour. Alternatively, the book says White Ensign Models (now Sovereign Colourcoats) ARB05 is slightly light, but it’s presently unavailable anyway.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wobble,
I seem to be detecting a theme here, if the driving is so bad in the Russian Army I can reccomend a good driving school 'You Crash 'Em - We Pass 'Em'....

Base looks really good, you had me worried when I saw the WWS bottle (ok for rail layouts), but then you explained it was for your diluted pva, I cancelled Matron....

Cheers

Wibble
Fear not Wibble , things are in hand, yes that bottle contents have been long gone, its that bottle I use came with a lid. The spray part is washed out every time.
As for the driving, looking at U tube the Russians in general are pretty poor to begin with . :smiling:

He recommends 5 × Revell 86 Olive Brown + 6 × Revell 84 Leather Brown — these being the enamels, if you were to mix the acrylics it may nor may not end up the same colour. Alternatively, the book says White Ensign Models (now Sovereign Colourcoats) ARB05 is slightly light, but it’s presently unavailable anyway.
Thanks , I can cross ref those on https://www.modelshade.com/.https:/...shade.com/paint-conversion-chart/revell/36184

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Beware that if you take paints from a different brand, that are individually the same colour as the Revell ones, you probably won’t get the same final colour when you mix them.

A little research also turned up a Tamiya mix: 5 × XF-68 NATO Brown + 4 × XF-3 Flat Yellow + 1 × XF-1 Flat Black.

And I just remembered I have a bottle of AK 3rg Gen No. 11385, S.C.C. No. 2 Brown. Comparing it to the swatch in the book, it seems to be slighty darker, so add a little bit of a sand colour and it will probably be spot-on.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beware that if you take paints from a different brand, that are individually the same colour as the Revell ones, you probably won’t get the same final colour when you mix them.

A little research also turned up a Tamiya mix: 5 × XF-68 NATO Brown + 4 × XF-3 Flat Yellow + 1 × XF-1 Flat Black.

And I just remembered I have a bottle of AK 3rg Gen No. 11385, S.C.C. No. 2 Brown. Comparing it to the swatch in the book, it seems to be slighty darker, so add a little bit of a sand colour and it will probably be spot-on.
Hi , I've used Chocolate brown from AK 3rd gen , there's so much difference in all of the paints when you view them on Model shade.

2022.jpg2022_4.jpg

I took Wibbles advice as usual :thumb2: and clipped the tracks together, they've been primed and after weathering will be refitted once the tank is done. Looking at the photos they are somewhat light than in real light
2022_5.jpg
Think I need to reset the camera phone. Any way quite pleased with the overall look.

Just reset the phone to 6400 k and an ASO of 400 ?

Last edited:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry for being late on parade and missing your build My friend.I got a Rubicon 1.56th Valentine kit for my birthday which makes a mark.9,10 and 11.I loved the Bronco one Nightshift did on youtube.Think you have done a great job John.Looks mighty fine to me dear boy.
Richard