1/24 messerschmitt bf 109 e 3 or 4

A

AJay

Great looking 109 and big one, too! I like what you did with the cockpit and all the little details.

M

mobear

thnx ajay,just wishing i never looked at a detailed walkaround of this plane,because all the bits that move will now be made moveable

mobear lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's the leading edge slats.

The slats on all Bf109s were a passive system,that is they were not controlled by the pilot. They ran on a runner system (different on the E and F to later versions but working in the same way) and were operated by aerodynamic forces. At low speeds they would deploy channeling high energy air over the wing giving extra lift. At high speed they would close. On the ground they would normally fall open but it was common practice for ground crews to push them in to avoid the ingress of dirt or debris into the mechanism. I'm not on my own computer or I would post a picture of a Bf109G being pushed out with one slat down and one up,so you can pose them on the ground however you like!

The colour of the area of wing revealed by the deployment of the slat,on an "Emil", would normally be RLM 02 but I have seen them with the camouflage colour which was presumably applied with the slats down.

Here's a link to Lynne Ritger's site and a page explaining them quite nicely.

The 109 Lair- The Online Source for Messerschmitt 109 information

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

thnx for that steve,i only read it helped with slow speed turns so the theory was they could out manouvre the hurri and the spit,so when i looked at them on the wings of the model,i thought oh well better cut them out then lol

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Even the most ardent fan of the Bf109E would not claim that it would out turn a Hurricane or Spitfire at low speed,at least not with competent pilots on board.

It had other areas of performance where it was stronger than either of its British adversaries,people will argue over which was best until the cows come home! The truth is there is no right or wrong answer.

Both the Hurricane and Spitfire were easier to fly than the Bf109.

Here's that picture showing asymmetric flaps on the ground.

Cheers

Steve

M

mobear

who da man?................................. you da man,only makes my model harder to look at,seen on the web wing tech or dragon do the model with them on show,so why didnt the big manufacturers do it lol

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
seen on the web wing tech or dragon do the model with them on show,so why didnt the big manufacturers do it lolmobear
Your Airfix kit is very old and such details were rare when it was designed. IIRC the 1/32 Dragon/Cyberhobby kit initially did not have seperate slats,they were added after the pre-production build photos were published which caused a bit of a hoo-haa amongst the Bf109 experts,some of whom were advising on the kit.

In most modes of flight and usually (though by no means always) on the ground the slats would not be deployed so a model with them moulded into the wing is not intrinsically inaccurate.

Cheers

Steve

M

mobear

Steve you are killin me lol,though you knowledge is outstanding,but after this its 1/32 and 1/48 in aircraft,the rest i`m not sure of lol,however all the model companies should try to find a happy medium in this day and age.this messie is gonna be the death of me,as at the moment i`m hell bent on the outer detail being right as the model is soooo big

mobear

ps thnx again steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing work so far Ole. Interesting info about the slats and slots.

M

mobear

i know i`m starting to fear this beast of a plane,but the info does help immensly

mobear

V

Vajled

looking good now?

but, how is that you do that now?

I will put them besides and glue them after all paint work... my oppinion

Roman