1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb

First Name
Jason
I'm living dangerously at the moment, tackling stuff outside my comfort zone. I picked this one up in my LHS yesterday. I think it is a new release? After a quick search I cant find it posted previously so here are the box and sprue shots.

View attachment 85988

View attachment 85989

View attachment 85990

View attachment 85991

View attachment 85992

View attachment 85993

View attachment 85994

View attachment 85995

The parts are very finely detailed, there are about 30 parts that go into assembling the the cockpit tub alone! Hardly any flash or parting lines and the canopies are nice and clear and free from distortion.

The decals are well printed and the instructions are very nicely drawn, once you decide on the variant you want to build and read them through a couple of times it looks pretty straight forward.

Out of the two decal options provided I shall be building this one, purely based on the pilots name....

View attachment 85996

And already I have a couple of questions for you all:rolleyes:.

These wing strengthening bars? Would they have appeared on the aircraft during active service? Or are they retro fitted to restored aircraft?

View attachment 85997

And a question about the aerial. The box art shows the wire running from the antenna atop the fuselage to the tail but I have seen it with two antenna running either side of the fuselage to the tips of the horizontal stabilizers. Which would be correct?

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

DSC_0382.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_0384.JPG

DSC_0385.JPG

DSC_0387.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0391.JPG

D

dubster72

That looks a nice kit Jason, it will be an interesting build.

Can't help you with your questions I'm afraid, I'm a novice with aircraft myself!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Remove the strengthening strakes as these weren't fitted until July 1942 and your subject could not have had them.

The wire running from antenna mast to the top of the fin was for the old HF radio, but this had been superceded by the newer VHF radios by your time period. Your aircraft did have the little wire attachment point near the top of the mast, but no wire.

The wires running from the horizontal stabilisers to the fuselage (near the centre of the roundels) were antennae for the IFF system. I'm fairly sure that this was not fitted to the Malta Spitfires. I remember a document about removing them and ballasting to compensate but can't remember the date.

The operation Spotter aircraft arrived in Malta with the standard Dark Earth/Mid Stone upper surface desert camouflage. The Mid Stone areas were over painted with a locally mixed grey colour. Photographs of your subject reveal that this was not done as exactly as a factory paint job.

Your man McNair remembered the repainting and the lack of contrast between the upper colours in black and white photographs certainly supports his contention.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice Jason will keep an eye on this one :rolleyes:

B

Bunkerbarge

Steve, Your breadth and depth of knowledge never fails to amaze!

First Name
Jason
Cheers Guys and Gal, hopefully it'll be a build worth watching. Last plane I tried was a disaster.

Thanks for the info Steve its a great help.

Jason

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's a couple of pictures of your subject in Malta.

You can see that the grey colour was fairly roughly applied, not the overspray over the demarcation with the lower surface colour on the rear of the fuselage.

I have a profile which, like the kit instructions, gives the under surface colour as 'Sky'. Some think this might have been one of the blue colours applied to some Mediterranean deliveries. Luckily, as with the grey colour applied over the Mid Stone on Malta, you can't be wrong because nobody knows for sure :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Jason
You're more than welcome Ian.

Cheers again Steve, where do you find all this stuff. The images are a great help:smiling3:. Hmmm now I need to make my paintwork look rough. Should be easy then.....

Would the horizontal stabilizer always sit in that position when on terra firma:confused:?

Jason

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The elevators drooping was most likely due to the pilot pushing the stick forward when exiting the cockpit. There was a control lock which locked the control column in place but there is no way of knowing whether it has been fitted in those photos. A look at pictures of parked Spitfires would seem to show that drooping elevators were quite common though some are neutral and a few are even up. You've got a free hand with them.

I found the IFF document which comes courtesy of the ever industrious and generous Edgar Brooks, a result of his ferreting in our various archives. It is from a later date than your subject and I don't know when the mods (modifications) mentioned were first introduced. I can't see the IFF wires on the Spitfires from the early Malta deliveries (like Spotter) but your guess is as good as mine whether they were there or not. My guess is that they were not and that they were removed in line with 'Spitfire Local Modification No.4'. There is no point in having such a system fitted to the aircraft if the infrastructure to support it isn't present on the ground.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Jason
That solves that little problem for me. Didn't fancy tackling those IFF wires. Lots of potential for gluey fingerprints everywhere:smiling3:.

Thanks again Steve for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Jason

First Name
Dave
Just seen this after I posted my review of the same kit!.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Just read Dave's review. It really looks to be a nice looking kit, Airfix have done well.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think this might be a 'Spotter' Spitfire leaving HMS Eagle. It is certainly a British carrier, US decks were wooden and looked very different.

Note that the codes have not been applied and the relatively high contrast between the camouflage colours indicated the Dark Earth/Mid Stone combination. The serials would be in the standard black. The camouflage was adjusted, codes applied and serials reapplied in white, after the aircraft arrived on Malta.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Just seen this after I posted my review of the same kit!.
Sorry Dave. Didn't intend this as a review mate, just start most of my build threads this way.

View attachment 86101

Work has begun and its progressing well! Decals to add, a little touching up to do and waiting on a PE harness because I think it would be a shame not to:smiling3:.

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0402.JPG

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Sorry Dave. Didn't intend this as a review mate, just start most of my build threads this way.View attachment 86513

Work has begun and its progressing well! Decals to add, a little touching up to do and waiting on a PE harness because I think it would be a shame not to:smiling3:.

Thanks for looking

Jason
No problem.I should have looked through the posts first.I look forward to seeing your build.Youve made a good start.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is a kit that is waiting for me to buy, so I will be watching this. (and yours as well Dave). I am rather wondering if the Hobby Boss MkVb in 1/32 might be a good candidate for the Maltese camo. it does look rather good.

Anyway. I will make do with watching for the moment.

Ian M