1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There's a build of this kit in this months AMW including some handy tips on some parts that might frustrate you in your choice of aircraft Dave.

Z

Ziper_it

Just came across this thread.

One ticket please, I'm going to follow it.

Francesco

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice Mk V. Airfix does seem to be lifting their game. I like the cockpit mate. What brand of seatbelts are you getting?

John

First Name
Jason
Thanks Guys. Nice to have you all along for the ride

\ said:
What brand of seatbelts are you getting?John
I'll be using Eduard PE ones John.

Jason

E

Edgar Brooks

Although one should never say never, photos of tropical Spitfires with external windshield armoured glass are proving impossible to find. Unless Hobbyboss have altered their kit, it contains only the external armour, which restricts it to home use.

Edgar

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Although one should never say never, photos of tropical Spitfires with external windshield armoured glass are proving impossible to find. Unless Hobbyboss have altered their kit, it contains only the external armour, which restricts it to home use.Edgar
cheers Edgar. So an after-market canopy..

Ian M

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Thanks Guys. Nice to have you all along for the rideI'll be using Eduard PE ones John.

Jason
Yep, good decision I always use the eduard seatbelts. And in terms of PE and sometimes resin, I always get it from them. Absolutely top class PE

John

D

dubster72

Those seatbelts look awesome, much better than my recent homemade attempt!

Looking forward to seeing more Jason

First Name
Jason
Thanks Fellas,

Pleased you like it! Airfix have done such a fantastic job on it, it would be difficult to make it look bad. Worth the addition of the PE belt though just to finish it off.

Jason

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
look great ,s far keep up the good work,:rolleyes:

First Name
Jason
Just a quick update for you. I reckon its taken about 3 hours over the course of the week to get to this stage.

View attachment 86352

View attachment 86354

I think I made hard work of the wing root. I don't know how but it was perfect when I dry fitted it but somehow I ended up with a small step:confused:!!!! More care to be taken next time me thinks.

The only issue I have found with the kit itself is the armoured fuel tank cover. It has been referenced in the Airfix magazine review and I took the authors advice and left the cockpit tub loose inside the fuselage to allow for adjustment but this part still required some serious thinning with the Dremel to get an acceptable fit.

The wing strengthening strakes were simple to remove with a new chisel shaped blade and some light sanding being careful not to damage the other detail on the wings.

A little bit of filler here and there and few panel lines re-scribed and all in all fairly straight forward assembly job.

Right! Time to fire up the airbrush!

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0414.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

L

Laurie

Looking good Jason.

One of the Airfix new tooling jobs. And they are very nice to work with from my recent experience.

Laurie