1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb

D

dubster72

Looks very good Jason. I know what you mean about dry fitting vs glue sticking! For some strange reason, parts often misbehave once they have a drop of cement on them!

First Name
Jason
Thanks for the comments chaps. You gotta love acrylic paint on a warm day, it dries so fast. Managed to have my first proper crack at pre shading.

View attachment 86370

View attachment 86371

View attachment 86372

That is actually Sky but I couldn't get the lighting right. It looks more effective in the flesh and once its got a wash in the panel lines I think I'll be happy with it. Topside to do next.

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0417.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

DSC_0421.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I like the look of the preshade, you made a good job of that.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Jason

What an intro to aircraft builds - Superb work! Can't say I'm really surprised given the work you do on the automotive stuff.

Great work on the Spit - beautiful cockpit, good pre shade skills - I look forward to seeing this complete.

BTW, seeing as you've made the leap over to winged stuff I thought I'd restore balance to the model building universe and attempt 2 bike builds next.

All the best mate

Paul

D

dubster72

Your pre-shading looks very good Jason, those circular bits below the leading edge are a pain as I found on my XIX!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great. Sky, one of my very favourite colours.

First Name
Jason
Thanks again for all of your comments. I'm really having fun with this. So much that I've bought another winged thing:smiling3:

\ said:
BTW, seeing as you've made the leap over to winged stuff I thought I'd restore balance to the model building universe and attempt 2 bike builds next
That pleases the modeling gods Paul. Although they're wondering how you'll find the time with a squadron of Spits on the go;)

Jason

First Name
Jason
Finished the camo. The edges were masked using blue tac. The colours used were Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth and XF-54 Dark Sea Grey. both were lightened a little for the horizontal surfaces but looking at it now they might be a bit too light. I don't want to do any more as it will totally obscure the preshade so I'll live with it.

I let some of the grey go past the demarcation line with the underside to give it a more painted in the field look as per Steves reference photo.

Anyway here it is.

View attachment 86429

View attachment 86430

Klear and decals next.

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0424.JPG

DSC_0425.JPG

First Name
Dave
Superb paintwork Jason.I will be doing this one as part of my Malta collection.

First Name
Jason
Thanks Dave. It is a great kit to build, I'd like to do another posed in flight. Can you get decals for alternative 'spotter' spitfires? I wouldn't have a clue what I was looking for:confused:

Jason

First Name
Dave
'Rising Decals' do a sheet with three Malta based Spitfire mkV's on it.One is for Malta ace George Buerlings aircraft.The sheet is currently out of stock at Hannants though.

First Name
Jason
All of the decals are done. They are very nicely printed and react well to Micro Set & Sol and a little bit of help from the hairdryer. The only tricky ones were the roundels as they were quite thick, I had to cut them into the panel lines to get them to lay down properly. I though I might get some silvering on a few of the smaller ones but they seemed to dry back fine.

View attachment 86517

View attachment 86518

View attachment 86519

Washes, filters, pigments and chipping next!

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0426.JPG

DSC_0427.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG