1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Nice work.Im interested to know how you do the filter.
Dave, for this one I used a pre mixed MIG filter. Orange for desert camo, applied with a large flat brush.

Getting there! Given a dark wash in the panel lines, a coat of matt clear and the orange filter. Some oils and pigments used to tone down and fade the decals. Just a few bits to finish and then some chipping, streaks from the MGs and the exhaust stains. Trying to find some decent reference images for that.

View attachment 86617

View attachment 86618

View attachment 86619

Quick question. Is the undercarriage right? looks like a funny angle to me, but that's where it fits. Should I modify it?

View attachment 86620

View attachment 86621

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0429.JPG

DSC_0430.JPG

DSC_0431.JPG

DSC_0432.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

First Name
Dave
Your undercarriage doors don't look right to me.They should be lined up in the direction of flight.Not at an angle like yours, if that makes sense.Something I will have to watch out for when I build mine.Ive read that the undercarriage attachment is a bit vague on this kit.Thanks for the filter explanation.Fantastic work on the paint finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

I'd agree with Dave, to my mind the wheels should run parallel to the line of the fuselage & the bay doors parallel to

the wheels. Of course, that might not be so!

Lovely paint Jason, it's got that perfect weathered look while remaining in scale & not overdone.

P

Polux

The colour and the tone are exquisite Jason.

Top work :smiling3:

Mmmm...forget, I love the exhausts ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's looking really good!

Exhaust stains are hard to see on most Spitfire pictures and there is a reason for that.

However the stains are visible on these aircraft being operated in difficult circumstances. I'm guessing water for washing down their aircraft was difficult for these Aussies (?) to come by.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Jason
Thanks Chaps, I worked the undercarriage a bit last night and it looks acceptable now.

Cheers for more excellent pics Steve. I'm reckoning that those boys were quite busy over Malta so I'll be dirtying it up a little.

Jason

First Name
Jason
She' finished.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/airfix-1-48-spitfire-mk-vb.28018/

Jason