Ade's Good Evening Da Nang F-4C Phantom II

First Name
Adrian
Well after a full 12 rounds I think I won on a split decision!!! I've filled and sanded 4 times now and think its a reasonable finish. I've rescribed the panel lines I managed to remove.

The tail section was just as bad as the front nose for fit and took a lot of CA to hold in place.

I'll be using the new Stynylrez white surface primer for this and see what I need to work on once its down.

View attachment 115410

View attachment 115411

View attachment 115412

Comments welcomed

Adrian

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Nice work Ade I admire your patience n perseverance I'm sure that new primer will cover any minor imperfections you may have missed:smiling3: Keep up the hard work cheers John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Nice Ade, great perseverance it's coming along after your epic battle. Hope the primer is kind and shows little filling needed.

Cheers

Phil

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Me too! But their FW 190 D-11 weekend version is a dog as well!
all the fw 190s by eduard are dogs. If you think the dora is bad-the A series is even more diabolical!:mad:

They build into excllent replicas though, and are the most accurate on the market. (well, off the market now, they aren't being produced any more)

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

the f-4s are typical eduard limited editions. Take a really c**p kit in terms of fit and detail, and give it resin, masks and PE. I am not really surprised about the quality of fit. I think this is the academy kit that eduard boxed.

however, sometimes eduard rebox their own kits and give it limited edition status. I grabbed their 1/48 Spit MK IX "The Longest Day D-Day" in limited edition and it has resin PE, masks and best of all, excellent plastic

Good to see you are sticking this through. Apparently, when built correctly, these kits build up into excellent F-4s.

John

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think you have mastered this beast now Adrian, it's looking good.

P

Polux

Wow Adrian....seems it's a problematic kit....but you are doing a really good work so far.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
all the fw 190s by eduard are dogs. If you think the dora is bad-the A series is even more diabolical!:mad:
They build into excllent replicas though, and are the most accurate on the market. (well, off the market now, they aren't being produced any more)

John
Oh did you have to say that I have the Fw 190D JV44 Combo set in my stash and was looking forward to building two aircraft side by side, but if I'm going to have double the problems I think I'll pass :sad:

Adrian

D

dougie

Looking good, fingers crossed the primer shows nothing untoward

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Oh did you have to say that I have the Fw 190D JV44 Combo set in my stash and was looking forward to building two aircraft side by side, but if I'm going to have double the problems I think I'll pass :sad:
Adrian
Ahh! Got my eye on that boxing on ebay. Am going to get that one soon, as I cannot resist JV 44 doras :D

I encourage you to build at least one dora. Although hard to build, they make excellent replicas and they are the most accurate doras around

John

First Name
Adrian
Quick update and also need some advice :smiling3:

So used the new Stynylrez white primer on my build and I'm really happy with it, shame its going to be hidden under masses of pre shading :smiling3:

I pretty happy with the way the side pod came out, it took a lot of work but I think its paid off,

View attachment 115646

View attachment 115647

Now for the question, looking at the instruction for the resin seat it shows some .2mm wire added, see the attached picture, my question is what colour would this wire be?

View attachment 115648

View attachment 115649

Thanks all in advance

Adrian

005.JPG

006.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Apparently it's a guillotine hose. Whatever that means :smiling3: http://www.ejectionsite.com/f4seat.htm
View attachment 126953

View attachment 126954
If I recall from my introduction to bang seats training, when the pilot separates from the seat after ejection a cable fires a cartridge to operate a guillotine to cut through a cable attached to the parachute pack for automatic deployment.

Rescue winches also have a cartridge fired guillotine to cut the winch cable and jettison it if it becomes snagged. It is essentially a blade that cuts a cable and a small explosive charge provides the inertia.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Weapon load out done for my Phantom, and just incase any rivet counter passes by when its on display I have checked and double checked they are correct for that theatre !!
View attachment 127272

Adrian
Someone will find something Adrian for sure ........ You better make sure the "Arming Wires" are the correct length to scale :D