Airfix 1/48 Canberra PR.9

First Name
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Away from home, you could spend every night in the pub like everyone else ! However, the sensible option, build something. This kit appears old, but the detail looks quite nice.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice Dave. You don't fancy a bit of Ripple do you? Good idea doing some building while you're away too, straight to the airbrush when you get home.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

It's hard getting your hands on these now... Still a good kit to pick up though, it builds up into an excellent model. This is another model airfix needs to reissue.

Waiting for the paint

Cheers, John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Dave,

so this one all done by HS,?

or wait till you get home,

and just think all the coin you save not having a few pints each night,can get another kit, ;)

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Ooooooh, nice!!:cool:

Got this waiting for me, in homage for been the fist kite (B (1) Mk 12) I worked on in my air force days. It was designed for oompa loompas to work on, @ 6' 1" it was a bit of a beast, I needed to be a contortionist with eyes in the back of my head....!:confused::mad::eek:

Fist day on the flight line, when she started up I thought the bloody engine had just blown up!!:eek: That is when I learnt she used pyrotechnic charges!! :P :p

But, for all her quirks and foibles, she remains the queen of the sky's in my books, beautiful in flight!!:cool::cool:

First Name
Dave
View attachment 114051

View attachment 114052

View attachment 114053

View attachment 114054

View attachment 114055

I've finished the cockpit and glued wings ,tail plane and other bits and pieces together.The cockpit has detail that won't be seen.But I've painted it anyway.I need to check what firing handles the seats had and make some.The cockpit is glued to a fuselage insert which in turn is glued into the fuselage.Hopefully it will be a good fit.Im off home tomorrow as there is no work where I am this weekend. So I will carry on with the model on Monday evening when I come back.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
\ said:
nice start Dave,
so this one all done by HS,?

or wait till you get home,

and just think all the coin you save not having a few pints each night,can get another kit, ;)
There's always time for a couple of beers every evening Monica.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
There's always time for a couple of beers every evening Monica.
........................................ :D ................................... there is :rolleyes: :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'll bet you already know you'll need loads of weight up front to stop this one tail sitting!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, the cockpit is looking A1. A quick check shows the PR.9 was equipped with the MB Mk.3QS for the pilot and the navigator a Mk.4QS.

Mk.4QS:

View attachment 114073

http://www.martin-baker.com/products/ejection-seats/mk1-9/mk3#prettyPhoto

http://canberratalk.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&num=1344074286

mk4qs nav.jpg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
On the B(I)Mk12 the navigator had to deploy an air dam, open up the hatch and manually bail out!!:eek::eek:

He unfortunately, did not have an ejection seat....... :sad:

Spotted them (navigators) practising the "roll out" manoeuvre in the hanger onto a mattress on the floor under the kite! :D :D:confused:

A very undignified exit!!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I'll bet you already know you'll need loads of weight up front to stop this one tail sitting!
The kit suggests putting 100g over the nose wheel bay.Thats quite a lot of weight

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice work Dave, the cockpit is looking A1. A quick check shows the PR.9 was equipped with the MB Mk.3QS for the pilot and the navigator a Mk.4QS.
Mk.4QS:

View attachment 125162

http://www.martin-baker.com/products/ejection-seats/mk1-9/mk3#prettyPhoto

http://canberratalk.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&num=1344074286
Thanks for the link Joe.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 114408

Wings and tail glued on.

I'm in a different hotel this week.Room and beer are crap.Having to model sitting on bed with tray on my lap. Visited the real ale pub up the road a bit earlier.Had a couple of pints of 'Pressed Rat and Warthog'!.

image.jpg