Airfix 1/48 Canberra PR.9

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Been watching this quietly in the background Dave.......... Looks like some good work going on here.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Haven't caught up on this one for ages. Really nice work. The pit looks awesome for such an old model. BTW, I use milliput and tamiya's stuff for filling. However, is the squadron stuff good for large areas, or will it melt the plastic like the tamiya stuff does?

John

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Looking good Dave, loving the filler. Got a sneaky suspicion my current build is gonna need a bit after a couple of dry fits.
What filler do you use?

Regards

Phil
It will, but they are easily avoided if you are careful in construction. With a bit of common sense and engineering, it shouldn't pose too many problems.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Haven't caught up on this one for ages. Really nice work. The pit looks awesome for such an old model. BTW, I use milliput and tamiya's stuff for filling. However, is the squadron stuff good for large areas, or will it melt the plastic like the tamiya stuff does?
John
It's ok for large areas.Ive used Squadron green a lot over the years and only once had a problem with it melting the plastic.That was on a vacform kit at a point where the plastic was extremely thin.

First Name
Dave
I'm back home for good now,so decided to spray some primer on the model.This has highlighted a few areas that need more filler.Especially along the edge of the cockpit insert on the right hand side.Ive also glued the canopy on and painted the framework in the interior colour.

View attachment 115191

View attachment 115192

View attachment 115193

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Robert
\ said:
I use a product that's been around for years called Squadron Green.There are a lot of newer products on the market but I like this one.I use Mr Surfacer 500 as well.But it's only any good on small gaps.
Love what you've done with the Canberra up to now. Your filler nightmare is not an excel isle in bad modelling, I made this same kit few years ago and it had lots of filler round the cockpit area, tail boom and around the bomb bay. I think the kit is an old kit and the quality of moulding although good detail is a bit warped in places.

At the time I think I used humbrol filler but now I use squaddie green and white ( think I have enough to patch a hole in the titanic ( good deal and bought 6 of each )

Oh and my Canberra ended up in the angry frustrated bin

Hope this turns out well

Awesome what you done up to now

Regards

Robert

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Love what you've done with the Canberra up to now. Your filler nightmare is not an excel isle in bad modelling, I made this same kit few years ago and it had lots of filler round the cockpit area, tail boom and around the bomb bay. I think the kit is an old kit and the quality of moulding although good detail is a bit warped in places.
At the time I think I used humbrol filler but now I use squaddie green and white ( think I have enough to patch a hole in the titanic ( good deal and bought 6 of each )

Oh and my Canberra ended up in the angry frustrated bin

Hope this turns out well

Awesome what you done up to now

Regards

Robert
Appreciate your comments Robert.My answer to avoiding the frustration bin is to have another model on the go at the same time.When I get fed up with one I put it to one side and concentrate on the other one.This way I always finish a model.At the moment I've got this one,a Tamiya P51 and an Italeri Boston on the go.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Getting there Dave. Always nice to the first layer of primer going down.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The joys of working with these kits-lots of filler :eek:

Will turn out to be a great model though, no doubt

John

D

Doug Hughes

Only just spotted this thread Dave - what a great idea to build something on your travels (and it's looking good!). What does your travelling modelling tool kit look like? I hope to head off to the Lakes for a few days' backpacking soon. Maybe there'll be a 'built in a tent' thread shortly!

First Name
Dave
View attachment 115539

View attachment 115540

After two more applications of green putty I still hadn't got the cockpit insert faired in to my satisfaction.So I've given the area two coats of Mr Surfacer 500.After rubbing it down I think it's done the trick.Ive now sprayed a couple of coats of Alclad filler primer on.I will know when it's fully dried tomorrow if the seam has finally disappeared.Then I will rescribe the lost detail.image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dougie

Reminds me of my current build, I had so much filler and filler primer on it to get it flat. It can be hard work