Airfix 1/48 Canberra PR.9

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Dave all that hard work is paying off geezer! Looking awesome haven't seen this thread for a while but it looks cracking, my local shop has one of these and I know john said they're hard to come by, would you recommend it?

Can't wait to see it finished

Phil

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave all that hard work is paying off geezer! Looking awesome haven't seen this thread for a while but it looks cracking, my local shop has one of these and I know john said they're hard to come by, would you recommend it?
Can't wait to see it finished

Phil
If you don't mind doing some filling and a fair bit of sanding I'd say get one.The only real problem area is the cockpit insert.Done a load of work on mine and still haven't got rid of the join completely.But I'm still pleased with how it's turning out.Its a surprisingly large model in this scale.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
If you don't mind doing some filling and a fair bit of sanding I'd say get one.The only real problem area is the cockpit insert.Done a load of work on mine and still haven't got rid of the join completely.But I'm still pleased with how it's turning out.Its a surprisingly large model in this scale.
I think it's what separates the men from the boys when it comes to putting in all the extra hard work and time on the more difficult models, saying that I'm praying my next couple go together nice and easy! Sounds like we've had a similar build.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I think it's what separates the men from the boys when it comes to putting in all the extra hard work and time on the more difficult models, saying that I'm praying my next couple go together nice and easy! Sounds like we've had a similar build.
With hindsight I think if I'd fitted the cockpit insert slightly proud of the surrounding fuselage and filled the gaps with plastic card it would have saved a lot of filling and sanding.But I was building it whilst working away from home in less than ideal modelling conditions.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That loos superb Dave.......... A lot of hard work has proper paid off. I like it a lot.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
\ said:
vortex generators
Are the vortex generators fixed on top of the wings? That is a pig of detail.....:mad: Weren't the wingtip tanks standard fitment?o_O

The B(I)Mk12 had extending air brake channels that popped out of the lower and upper wing surfaces, unfortunately they are not an aftermarket feature either. :sad:

Your kite is looking a charm, she is as big as I remember her!! ;)

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Are the vortex generators fixed on top of the wings? That is a pig of detail.....:mad: Weren't the wingtip tanks standard fitment?o_O
The B(I)Mk12 had extending air brake channels that popped out of the lower and upper wing surfaces, unfortunately they are not an aftermarket feature either. :sad:

Your kite is looking a charm, she is as big as I remember her!! ;)
I've painted the wing tip tanks separately.Will glue them on last

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just caught up with this Dave.

The Canberra looks excellent and I'm amazed that you started it 'on the road' so-to-speak.

Excellent stuff

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive been following this one from the wings dave , its looking fabulous now . Top work on the poor fitting cockpit insert and the paint job looks brilliant . Ive got the B I 8 in the stash and watching this is making me want to break it out! Keep it up mate , nearly there , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful work Dave, almost hard to believe this is the same Airfix kit you started out with in the hotel room :smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Sweet paint job, bub!!:cool:

She is looking spectacular!! :smiling3:

You see that row of "little squares" on each wing, out board of the engine nacelles? They are the retractrable air brakes I mentioned earlier on.