Airfix 1/48 Gannet

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
They probably figured, “We’ve got them anyway, even if the most recent one left was made 25 years ago, and a ship is a big target so the poor accuracy is not a problem. Stick them on!” :smiling3:
They're quite effective when fired in salvo mode!!! Aiming one or even two, your chances of a 'hit' was minimal. So a spread of RP's was more effective. Used to get Harriers and other aircraft firing at ships towed splash targets with good effect. Also witnessed them to good effect on Salisbury Plain ranges. Have a bad memory of the things. Fire on a carrier with a few thousand of them ready for loading when the fire developed in a galley the deck right below the weapons!!!
2 inch RP's became standard fit across many RN aircraft.

Wx5 On Ops Malaya.
Wx5 Far East-6.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The main parts are now primed up and dry fitted again:

1000006349.jpg

And I've masked all of the canopy parts inside & out. Like the Airfix Me410 I did recently the transparencies are quite fragile so I've managed to crack a couple but it's not too noticeable.

The bubble canopies were a swine to mask. An aftermarket mask set would be a good idea when one is available.

As a side note, two front screens are included in the kit. One with a wiper moulded on, one without, in case you should go for a PE part:

1000006350.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention, the three bubble canopies have a seam line down the middle that needs sanding & polishing out. Hence my sausage fingers cracking them.

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The main parts are now primed up and dry fitted again:

View attachment 500684

And I've masked all of the canopy parts inside & out. Like the Airfix Me410 I did recently the transparencies are quite fragile so I've managed to crack a couple but it's not too noticeable.

The bubble canopies were a swine to mask. An aftermarket mask set would be a good idea when one is available.

As a side note, two front screens are included in the kit. One with a wiper moulded on, one without, in case you should go for a PE part:

View attachment 500685
Beautiful job of priming.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Doug. The Mr Color Surfacer does a really great job but since I'm moving indoors I may switch to something less odorous for priming, where I might be putting a relatively large amount of material down in one go.

Their Aqueous version is an obvious choice and people rave about it, including our own David Lovell. To be honest I found their Aqueous paints almost as offensive as their lacquers, having a very strong Tamiya-like smell, but hopefully the primer is different.

Or I'll give the water based Stynylrez / One Shot / UMP another try. I wasn't keen on the white, but that's often the worst in a range anyway.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
To be honest I found their Aqueous paints almost as offensive as their lacquers, having a very strong Tamiya-like smell
If you use them enough, you won’t smell them anymore ;) I speak from experience … I don’t smell Tamiya paint at all, and haven’t for 25 or more years, unless I put the bottle right under my nose and breathe in. Almost the same with Mr. Aqueous, which I’ve only really started using over the last couple of years, though they do smell a bit different from Tamiya. But the times I’ve opened a bottle of Tamiya paint in the presence of someone who isn’t a modeller, have almost invariably been met with comments of how much the paint smells …

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Pretty much like me Jakko, I've been using automotive paint for so long that the lacquer smell doesn't bother me, but other solvents do.

Oils & enamels are the worst. I can't use them without feeling bilious and getting headache, even using the so called odourless thinners. Steve Jones recommended a citrus smelling one that I can just about cope with but it's still short bursts with my extraction on.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
They probably figured, “We’ve got them anyway, even if the most recent one left was made 25 years ago, and a ship is a big target so the poor accuracy is not a problem. Stick them on!” :smiling3:
When I was in the Army '65-'77 we were getting rations that were made in the 1943's by mistake and when opened were still as good.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Pretty much like me Jakko, I've been using automotive paint for so long that the lacquer smell doesn't bother me, but other solvents do.

Oils & enamels are the worst. I can't use them without feeling bilious and getting headache, even using the so called odourless thinners. Steve Jones recommended a citrus smelling one that I can just about cope with but it's still short bursts with my extraction on.
Tamiya Extra Thin glue I find that offensive.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Doug. The Mr Color Surfacer does a really great job but since I'm moving indoors I may switch to something less odorous for priming, where I might be putting a relatively large amount of material down in one go.

Their Aqueous version is an obvious choice and people rave about it, including our own David Lovell. To be honest I found their Aqueous paints almost as offensive as their lacquers, having a very strong Tamiya-like smell, but hopefully the primer is different.

Or I'll give the water based Stynylrez / One Shot / UMP another try. I wasn't keen on the white, but that's often the worst in a range anyway.
Hi Andy great work so far as for the smell only complaint I get is when I clean/flush through with mr colour tool cleaner ,like a few on here I work from the dining room table back in the day when I used a lot of lacquer paints when the hamster stopped running in his wheel I knew it was time to open the patio doors.Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude! Your primer has a better finish than my top coats lol.
The Tiger Moth I have just built has one of them thar jig things. Helps cut the back of the fuselage off...

Looking forward to the next episode.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So, as a switch from my usual lacquers I decided to have a go with acrylics on this one. I found some Vallejo Model Air Sky in the back of a drawer and gave it a blast. It's a bit monotone at the moment as I couldn't manage my usual black basing / mottling, but it has a nice even foundation for some further post shading & highlighting.

I don't have any extra dark sea grey in water based paint so will mix something close when the time comes.

1000006427.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sticking with acrylics I finally got the EDSG on this evening, lightened up in some areas with a bit of neutral grey.

It's in desperate need of a wash to bring out the panel line and rivet detail, plus break up the monotony a bit, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how well the AK sprayed through my Mr Hobby PS-275, compared to the Infinity I normally use for acrylics.

2024-02-12 19.48.59.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you very much gents.

Everything got a few coats of GX-100 gloss in readiness for decals. This is the biggest lacquer session I've done in the new room and I was really pleased.

Unsurprisingly there was a slight odour in the room whilst actually spraying such a large area, but after cleaning the airbrush I left the booth on about half speed while I had a cuppa and it soon cleared. It didn't drift into the rest of the house at all, so thanks to those that convinced me it wouldn't be as bad as I feared

1000006549.jpg

The new airbrush pot / holder is pretty good but takes up a fair amount of space compared to the usual ones so it might not stay, but I may be able to fix the holder part onto my old one.

1000006551.jpg