Airfix 1/48 Gannet

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As per usual your painting is top notch Andy .Doesn't seem to alter regardless of which make of paint you use.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks John.

The biggest surprise was how well the airbrush performed. Maybe my problem isn't with acrylics but rather the way my Infinity deals with them.

I'll definitely be trying them with my detail airbrush.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks John.

The biggest surprise was how well the airbrush performed. Maybe my problem isn't with acrylics but rather the way my Infinity deals with them.

I'll definitely be trying them with my detail airbrush.
Great work Andy I sometimes think none of us give things a proper chance I just accept now that not every day is a good day no matter what I'm squirting through the airbrush ,once again great work you must be well chuffed leaving the shed behind. Dave

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Doug.

If anyone cares to zoom in you'll see the horrific paint finish on the underside, where I was a bit enthusiastic with the lacquer varnish and it has crozzled the Model Air.

I'm hoping to disguise this further down the line but it's another reminder that mixing paint types doesn't always go to plan.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just been on my knees praying that when I venture into doing mine that it will turn out as good as yours... The temptation to start it is getting stronger, but I must resist and clear the bench first... Is it ok to just lift the lid and sniff the plastic bags.....
Great job on the paint and shading.

Now you see you have ruined the illusion, by telling us you botched the underside, but as an old car cleaner once told me - you can only look at one side of the car at a time....

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jim and Dave.

I've been busy in the real world building a full sized Africa Twin motorbike, but I've made a start on the decals and the many tiny stencil markings:

View attachment 501892

I've got a quiet weekend so I'm hoping to make some good progress on this.
Just caught up with this one Andy,
A big old brute of a plane this one eh?! Looking great in those colours for sure,a great base for some light weathering I'd say :thumb2: .
Looking forward to the next update mate :tongue-out:.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looking good,I think crozzled must be a northern painters word ,down south we prefer the term 'pickled' lol
Dosnt look bad from what i can see ,a wash and some weathering will sort it out.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just been on my knees praying that when I venture into doing mine that it will turn out as good as yours...
Your skills and experience are on another level to mine Mike so I don't doubt it for a minute.

As for that saying - it gets used a lot in my industry :smiling5:

Thanks all, and yes, crozzled is one term, another starts with an F and ends the same way...

1000006587.jpg

My worry is that a wash at this stage would only highlight it. Even the decals have conformed to it lol.

Obviously I should have repainted it, but I'm quietly confident that I can fudge my way out instead.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ooh! See what you mean thats a shame, good luck with the fudging,sure youll get it looking ok. Wet flat and a relaquer maybe.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks Doug.

If anyone cares to zoom in you'll see the horrific paint finish on the underside, where I was a bit enthusiastic with the lacquer varnish and it has crozzled the Model Air.

I'm hoping to disguise this further down the line but it's another reminder that mixing paint types doesn't always go to plan.
Well I can't see anything untoward!!

Until you enlarged it that is!! Who is going to look that closely at it? (Other than you Andy). We are all very critical when it comes to our builds!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Crozzled , yes I understood perfectly andy , its how I like my bacon , must be just a sheffield thing. Youre right about not giving it a panel line wash , it would just get in all the nooks and crannies and be a bugger to get out again . Perhaps another coat of satin , acrylic might fill in some of the wrinkles ? If it works I might try it on my face !

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What about a Flory wash?...SO easy to use,gives great effects,and... If you don't like the outcome... Just wipe it off again :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Might polishing work?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the suggestions chaps but I think I'm on the way to sorting it.

A light nib (sanding) and a few coats of Aquagloss have buried the worst of the texture:

1000006596.jpg

It's only in the odd place where I sprayed too wet and the lacquer has eaten into the acrylic, so hopefully by the time it's had a clay wash (UMP's version of a flory wash) and a satin varnish, it should be acceptable from a normal viewing distance (like the moon) :tears-of-joy:

I've got the props & spinners finished too. I may add a light bit of chipping to the blades but overall I'm not doing too much in the way of weathering:

1000006595.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks for the suggestions chaps but I think I'm on the way to sorting it.

A light nib (sanding) and a few coats of Aquagloss have buried the worst of the texture:

View attachment 501925

It's only in the odd place where I sprayed too wet and the lacquer has eaten into the acrylic, so hopefully by the time it's had a clay wash (UMP's version of a flory wash) and a satin varnish, it should be acceptable from a normal viewing distance (like the moon) :tears-of-joy:

I've got the props & spinners finished too. I may add a light bit of chipping to the blades but overall I'm not doing too much in the way of weathering:

View attachment 501926
Wowser's Andy, loving that prop. Superb finish on the spinner and props!!