Airfix 1/48 Mosquito mk6

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
They look rather nice I'll have to get me some of those.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
View attachment 93312

A bit more progress.I glued the canopy on then realised I hadn't fitted the gun sight.So off came the canopy,gun sight fitted and canopy glued back on again.Ive also glued the machine gun assembly into the Nosecone and then glued the nose onto the model.I wasn't sure how to mask the guns.So I've painted them and then masked with Maskol.Im probably going to wish I'd left them off untill the end!.Just got to sand the Nosecone to fuselage join and then it will be ready for painting.image.jpg

0ne48thtel

This is coming on very nicely Dave the guns look really good. I would have done it the way you have done sticking it all together and masking the barrels off.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good way to mask those barrels is to use a stiff paper and roll it into a tube and slip them over each one then a blob of white tak on the end to keep them in place..

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
A good way to mask those barrels is to use a stiff paper and roll it into a tube and slip them over each one then a blob of white tak on the end to keep them in place..Ian M
Some cotton buds have hollow stems, cut the bud off one end and maybe it will slip over the barrels.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I really like the stuff.I filled the gaps between the engine cowlings and the undersides of the wings in the manner you described.Would have taken a lot more work with my usual squadron green.
Here's a video of what it can be used for.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's looking good dave in fact it's making me seriously think about getting the rebox , that tail looks much better than the tamiya one :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That's looking good dave in fact it's making me seriously think about getting the rebox , that tail looks much better than the tamiya one :smiling3:
The rebox is a mk16 with the longer two stage Merlins.Although I think they still include the original parts to build a mk6 in the kit.I would like to build one of those as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I hope it does but if not I don't mind doing the bomber version :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Got some more paint on the model tonight.The Airfix painting guide shows medium sea grey on the upper surfaces as well as the undersides. I thought the upper surfaces should be Ocean grey and dark green.A bit of research on the Internet shows Airfix were probably right.In doing a 418 squadron aircraft and although the Airfix decals are no good,the Monogram kit I'm also building has decals for an aircraft from the same squadron.The code letter red is too bright,so I will use some from my decal collection.But it does have a nice nose art decal for 'Lady Luck' which I will use.

View attachment 93644

View attachment 93645

View attachment 93646

View attachment 93647

View attachment 93648

View attachment 93649

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

S

steve scan

Looking very good Dave really like the way it has come together and those barrels look good.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
The Airfix painting guide shows medium sea grey on the upper surfaces as well as the undersides. I thought the upper surfaces should be Ocean grey and dark green.A bit of research on the Internet shows Airfix were probably right.
The beautifully restored Mosquito KA114 has the medium sea grey on the upper and lower surfaces.

View attachment 93650

The bomber versions appear to have worn the Dark Green/Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey undersides (the same as the Fighter Command day scheme) whereas fighter-bomber variants appear to have worn the overall Medium Sea Grey with dark green on top.

The MSG oveall with disruptive green pattern on top is in fact a Night Fighter scheme initially prescribed in AMO 644/42 "Camouflage Colouring and Marking of Aircraft" . A number of Mosquito FBVI were painted in this scheme. The standard day scheme was DG/DSG over MSG undersides and was also in use on FBVI. I guess it comes down to researching your chosen subject thoroughly.

444copy-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: