Airfix 1/48 TSR2

First Name
Dave
Thought I would build this next.The wife got me some resin seats and an Eduard coloured PE set for the cockpit for Xmas.Made a start assembling the intakes and glueing them to the fuselage halves.A few gaps to fill when the glue has set.I then assembled some of the cockpit and attached some PE to the side consoles.Will paint the white areas grey tomorrow.

T

tecdes

Looks some machine Dave.

Some nice detail work.

Seems to be a lot of Airfix going on at the moment.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice Dave, those Eduard cockpit details look spot on. Always thought the TSR2 was a interesting machine.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Thanks lads.This kit is one of Airfix's earlier attempts at recessed panel lines.Some 'experts' would probably say they are too deep.But they look fine to me.Its a big model,around 20 inches long.Normally I would airbrush the cockpit first before adding the PE.But I was doing it on the dining room table yesterday evening and didn't fancy going down the bottom of my garden to the shed where I do my airbrushing.

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Impressive stuff Dave, you do know what this means dont you? It means that youve no excuse for not going to Cosford in April , the surviving TSR 2 is there so you can get some top reference pics !!! Looking forward to seeing this come together , its a mighty fine looking machine and a true classic, cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good. I am saving mine until I can find loads of goodies to pimp it out with.

The PE looks great.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice Dave. The Great British if only. If only the politicians had kept their nose out.

First Name
Mike
Looking good Dave. I took a few pics of Cosford's TSR.2 last time I was there; I wish I'd taken more but if you can use any for reference, be my guest:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Migrant/library/TSR2?sort=4&page=1

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This is good regarding this aircraft:

Si:smiling3:

C

Caledonia

Nice choice Dave, was able to crawl over the real thing at Cranfield in the late '70's, it's a surprisingly large aircraft

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking good Dave. I took a few pics of Cosford's TSR.2 last time I was there; I wish I'd taken more but if you can use any for reference, be my guest:http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Migrant/library/TSR2?sort=4&page=1
Thanks Mike.The kit instructions have the undercarriages as all white with chrome shock struts.Your pics show a few more colours so will be very useful

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That was a very interesting link Eddy.

I cant help thinking what would we be flying now if the project had gone through. Also how would the British Aero industry be.

Some good reference material there as well.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I've made quite a bit of progress over the last few days.Finished applying the PE to the cockpits,built up the undercarriage bays and glued the fuselage halves together. The kit is quite cleverly designed with various fuselage inserts which will cut down the amount of seam sanding required.Ive started to paint the CMK resin ejection seats.The seat belts are not moulded very well.Which is disappointing as I bought them because the kit supplied seats don't have any belts on them.The 'Quickboost' seat I have bought for my Lightning is much better and was cheaper.

First Name
Mike
That's looking excellent Dave, I really like what you've done in the wheel wells and the cockpit looks nifty too.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress Dave , its a very cleverly designed kit isnt it, not many seams to clean up . The U/C bays look great too , cheers tony