Airfix 1/48 TSR2

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Another problem I have is painting the canopy.I vaguely remember when I was doing an airframe fitters course at RAF Halton in 1976 they had a TSR2 canopy in the work shops.An instructor explained this canopy had a very thin translucent layer of gold leaf between the Perspex layers.Airfix instructions say to paint the canopies with clear orange.Ive tried this with some Tamiya clear orange on a spare canopy and I'm not sure if I like it or not.
I think clear orange might be too strong; the effect looks fairly subtle from the photos I've seen and it looks more yellow than orange. I'd be tempted to get some clear yellow and mix it with Future/Pledge so that the effect is heavily diluted, and brush that on. If you don't like it should come off easily with some rubbing alcohol.

First Name
Dave
Some interesting ideas for the Gold effect.The gunze paint would be good if I can get some.My local hobby shop does a good range of Vallejo.so I might try Vallejo model clear no.70.828 wood grain,which looks a golden brown colour on my paint chart

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That clear wood from Vallejo is very dark Dave. I'm not at all sure it will give you the gold colour you're looking for.

Gern

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That clear wood from Vallejo is very dark Dave. I'm not at all sure it will give you the gold colour you're looking for.Gern
Thanks Dave,you've saved me a couple of quid.Ive found the Gunze paint that Joe suggested on eBay.So I will get some of that.Ive not used Gunze paints before so will need to find out what you thin them with.I shall also have to buy a few jars to make the postage cost worth my while.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Gunze have a clear gold colour, GX111 is the code.
The wife's just bought a jar on eBay for me.Coming from USA and should be here at the end of the month.Free delivery and cheaper than UK suppliers.Suppose I will be hit with import tax.Thanks for the info Joe.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Dave, this will be a real beauty when finished.

When I tinted the screen of my Eurofighter I used thinned Tamiya smoke and Johnson's Klear. For the gold, I'd probably go with the clear yellow as Mike suggests.

I don't think you'll have to pay any import tax as I think the duty is free under a certain price.

Looking forward to the finished jet

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Dave
Tonight I've painted and assembled the undercarriage units.ive also removed the instrument panel and combing,trimmed them and refitted them to the model.So now the windscreen fits properly.Next job is to mask the gear bays and prime the model.the tyres don't just have flat spots but bulges moulded into them where they sit on the ground.The most realistic looking tyres of any kit Ive built.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave, those tyres do look very good. Glad you sorted the paint issue out.

K

Kressy_13

Coming along nicely mate. I have some of the gunze paints here. I normally use water to thin them. Never had a problem, they seem to be thinner straight from the bottle then say a tamiya paint. Best to test it and get the mix you like.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Coming along nicely mate. I have some of the gunze paints here. I normally use water to thin them. Never had a problem, they seem to be thinner straight from the bottle then say a tamiya paint. Best to test it and get the mix you like.
Thanks.i will try water if it needs thinning.

First Name
Dave
I've just put a second coat of Vallejo White primer on the model.And I've masked the canopies for the exterior colour.when the clear gold paint I've ordered arrives I will paint the inside of the canopies with it.When that's dry I will then have to mask over the transparent areas and paint the interior colour on the canopies.

M

mobear

looking good ,arent you glad theres not much masking for the canopy? lol

First Name
Dave
\ said:
looking good ,arent you glad theres not much masking for the canopy? lol
Yes.The canopies on this kit are easy to mask.Although Ive got to do the insides as well after painting.

M

mobear

i really dont like doing inside unless its open and the framework is inside

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks good Dave , coming together now ,cheers tony

J

Jeff66

Enjoying seeing this go together, high on my wish list to build (will have to start building up a stash). Am hoping to persuade the Mrs, on the benefits of another visit to Cosford too drool over the real thing....jeff

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Good stuff so far Dave. Will you be putting a matt finish on this? I seem to remember the one at Cosford being matt.

Gern

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Good stuff so far Dave. Will you be putting a matt finish on this? I seem to remember the one at Cosford being matt.Gern
After I've put the decals on I will give it a coat of matt varnish.