Airfix 1/48 TSR2

First Name
Dave
Some of the fuselage joins have needed a bit of filler.Sanded those down and rescribed some of the detail.Pretty sure this model isn't a tail sitter.But I've filled the nose cone and space fwd of the instrument panel with lead just in case.Airfix give the option of open bomb doors and airbrakes.But I decided to glue these all in the closed positions.Theres a choice of a rather toy like bomb or auxiliary fuel tanks for the bomb bay.I fitted the tanks and closed the doors.The tail cone area needs to be painted a metallic colour.So I will leave the tailplanes off to make masking easier.

B

Bunkerbarge

I've got a couple of these in the stash so very interesting to see it going together. Thanks for the thread Dave, very interesting and informative. I like the wheel well weathering as well, not easy to get white looking realistic.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I've got a couple of these in the stash so very interesting to see it going together. Thanks for the thread Dave, very interesting and informative. I like the wheel well weathering as well, not easy to get white looking realistic.
All I did in the undercarriage bays was spray them gloss white then use Florymodels dark dirt and mud washes.Ive then removed as much as I could.But I think I might have overdone the wash as the aircraft was a prototype and probably didn't get this dirty.Never mind,it's highlighted the detail,which is what I wanted.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Nice Dave. The Great British if only. If only the politicians had kept their nose out.
A bloke told me recently that one of the factors (including cost) that killed TSR2 was because, being so very advanced, the Soviets threatened to retaliate by escalating the cold war if it went into service. Any truth in that?

A

Andy Mac

Wow! 1:48th, that's gonna be impressive, and it's coming along well so far Dave.

I just watched that you-tube video that Si posted up, the bit where he says "he engaged only 1 of the 2 afterburners but left behind the Lightning chase plane that had both afterburners lit", Blimey! that thing must've had some performance capability, such a waste to have it cancelled..

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Wow! 1:48th, that's gonna be impressive, and it's coming along well so far Dave.I just watched that you-tube video that Si posted up, the bit where he says "he engaged only 1 of the 2 afterburners but left behind the Lightning chase plane that had both afterburners lit", Blimey! that thing must've had some performance capability, such a waste to have it cancelled..
It's certainly a big model Andy.its 21 inches/530mm long.

W

Willi262

I am not sure about the TSR2 (although I am willing to bet it was for similar reasons), but the Avro-Arrow project was cancelled for a host of factors, both economical and political. In the case of the Arrow, Ostensibly the costs had started to mount, problems with the radar/sensor suite needed improving and then suddenly, the ICBM was deployed, thus at a stroke, rendering all supersonic bomber interceptors obsolete. There are some 'back room stories' which also suggest that real reason for the cancellation was then PM Diefenbaker was bowing to pressure from the Americans to scrap everything, (He and Kennedy never liked each other) because they wanted to be the first on the continent with a supersonic fighter/interceptor and were still having engine troubles, while our design was already bettering Mach 2.

First Name
Dave
I've done a bit more filling and sanding tonight.Sprayed the wheel hubs and inside the undercarriage doors gloss white.Then I test fitted the canopy sections.They are very thick but a good fit.Apart from the windscreen that is.The glare shield above and in front of the instrument panel sits too high.So I'm going to have to remove it and the instrument panel and make some adjustments.Another problem I have is painting the canopy.I vaguely remember when I was doing an airframe fitters course at RAF Halton in 1976 they had a TSR2 canopy in the work shops.An instructor explained this canopy had a very thin translucent layer of gold leaf between the Perspex layers.Airfix instructions say to paint the canopies with clear orange.Ive tried this with some Tamiya clear orange on a spare canopy and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Coming along nicely Dave I've watching from the wings ,

Can you tell me what the green stuff is in the panel lines ?

You mention something about weathering in an earlier post and I was wondering if that was connected to it

Thanks

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Can you tell me what the green stuff is in the panel lines ?
Looks like Squadron green putty

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Coming along nicely Dave I've watching from the wings ,Can you tell me what the green stuff is in the panel lines ?

You mention something about weathering in an earlier post and I was wondering if that was connected to it

Thanks
As John says, it's 'Squadron Green' filler.Ive used it for years and prefer it to everything else Ive tried.It dries quickly and is easy to sand.Ive used Mr Surfacer 500 where the wing meets the fuselage as its better for filling small gaps.Ive removed most of the green from the panel lines where Ive rescribed them. Will have to check I haven't missed any.Does anyone know of a clear gold paint?.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
As John says, it's 'Squadron Green' filler.Ive used it for years and prefer it to everything else Ive tried.It dries quickly and is easy to sand.Ive used Mr Surfacer 500 where the wing meets the fuselage as its better for filling small gaps.Ive removed most of the green from the panel lines where Ive rescribed them. Will have to check I haven't missed any.Does anyone know of a clear gold paint?.
cheers Dave that's a big help As for clear gold I've never seen any

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can not say what it might do to the clear plastic, but if you have any Alclad Gold, or clear yellow that might give the effect. I have a nasty feeling that it will fog the clear parts. So try it on an old/spare one first!

Looking good by the way.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tamiya do a clear yellow dave , maybe thin some of this with Klear to tone it down a bit? cheers tony

p.s the TSR2 is looking great , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Coming along nicely Dave.

I like the Squadron Green for filling but .....

how do you stop it drying up in the tube? I've had to throw away half of the last two tubes as it's set inside - despite the fact I replace the cap as soon as I have taken out what I need.

Gern

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Coming along nicely Dave.I like the Squadron Green for filling but .....

how do you stop it drying up in the tube? I've had to throw away half of the last two tubes as it's set inside - despite the fact I replace the cap as soon as I have taken out what I need.

Gern
I've not had that problem myself.Sometimes I have to clean the cap as it dries inside the threads stopping the cap fitting properly.