Airfix 1/48 TSR2

M

mobear

well rescued and sometimes it takes the build to be nearly done to spot a mistake,or something like undercarriage not sitting right to be spotted.so i say awesomely done

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Magnificent work on the UC it looks much better

Thats typical of me.Doing the research when the models nearly finished.
- ooo, I hear ya buddy! That feels very typical of me.Can't wait to see the finished thing

Cheers

P

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Excellent recovery Dave, this really is looking a superb build with the paintwork and decals in place it really does bring it to life.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Dave
I've just tried giving the canopies a gold tint.First I sprayed the Mr Clear Color gold thinned wth cellulose thinners.I had a feeling this might attack the plastic and tried it out on an old spitfire canopy first.Sure enough it reacted with the plastic.So the two week wait for the gold to come from Taiwan was a waste of time.Luckily it was cheap.Next I tried some Tamiya clear orange that ive had for years.Thinned it with some Tamiya thinner and tried it on a test piece.Quite pleased with it so I took the plunge and sprayed it on the kits canopies.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That looks really good Dave, gives a lovely finish and is unusual to see on an aircraft. Nice job, pity about the first product but as you say tested and didn't work out, at least that saved you from a nasty surprise.

Si:smiling3:

A

Andy Mac

That tint looks really effective, and to think you already had the paint all the time.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That tint looks really effective, and to think you already had the paint all the time.
I didn't try the orange before as I wanted a proper gold finish.But this will do as I want to get the model finished

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The Tamiya paint has worked well Dave, thank goodness you didn't use the Mr Color on the canopy after all that. Glad this has worked out for you.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yeah.... cellulose thinners and plastic are never gonna be best buds.

You know what Dave, I think the Tamiya clear orange is probably a better 'scaled' representation of the gold anyway.

Looks great, very effective. As for the Mr Color I'm sure it will come in for some project or other.

Cheers

P

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think the orange is spot on Dave. Thank heavens you tested the gold stuff first. That's the sort of thing I might forget to do !

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I think the orange is spot on Dave. Thank heavens you tested the gold stuff first. That's the sort of thing I might forget to do !
I've learned my lesson in that respect Colin.Ive ruined a few models by rushing and not thinking about things when I'm nearing the end of a build.Thats why I'm taking my time finishing this one off.

H

Harry Labanville

Very neat build especially the decal work. White is a difficult paint too get right at the best of times but you seem to have mastered it

I like the gold effect on your windows

Coincidently I just watched the video at the beginning of the thread..50 mins out of my life but well worth it and very interesting.

I think I would be correct in saying that if the TSR2 had gone into production there wouldn't be any Tornados.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Probably not Harry, Britain's proportion of financial contribution to the Panavia Tornado was 42%, a cost that would have not been necessary had the TSR2 gone ahead. They had already wasted 46 million pounds on the abortive F-111K too. Not sure what Italy and Germany would have done in that case, probably just operated the TSR2.

First Name
Dave
Well I've been putting off masking and painting the insides of the canopies as it's a rather fiddly job.This morning I've found the patience to do it.I was worried the tape would pull off the orange paint from the transparent areas.But luckily it hasn't.With regard to the orange tint,It didn't work properly when I thinned it with Tamiya thinners.It went on ok.But as it dried it started to pool in orange lumps.So I cleaned it off.Then I thinned it with Klear floor polish and painted it on again.This time it worked.Just need to finish dirtying the model,apply a clear satin coat and it's finished.

First Name
Dave
I've dirtied up the model with Florymodels wash and given it a final coat of Vallejo clear satin varnish.Its not perfect but I'm calling it done.I will fix the canopies open and post some pics in the completed aircraft section.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks the business Dave , great build matey , cheers Tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Result!

Looking for the finished build soon.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Fantastic Dave it looks better than the real thing top marks :smiling3:

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
I've just tried giving the canopies a gold tint.First I sprayed the Mr Clear Color gold thinned wth cellulose thinners.I had a feeling this might attack the plastic and tried it out on an old spitfire canopy first.Sure enough it reacted with the plastic.So the two week wait for the gold to come from Taiwan was a waste of time.Luckily it was cheap.Next I tried some Tamiya clear orange that ive had for years.Thinned it with some Tamiya thinner and tried it on a test piece.Quite pleased with it so I took the plunge and sprayed it on the kits canopies.
Just a bit of safety info.

Blended cellulose thinner will attack most plastics except urethanes. If painted on injected plastics it will soften the surface, and as seen above on clear will frost it. Ideal for frosted windows on building dio's but not much else.

But for some reason un-blended cellulose thinner can be used to clean injected plastics with no problem, but will frost clear just as blended does.

I don't know why, but have found out by experience in my past trade.

B

Bunkerbarge

What a cracker. The wash suddenly brings it to life and boy does it have a presence. Lovely job there Dave, you've done it proud. I also think the canopies came out spot on.