Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkI/MkIIa

M

MrGotty

@Roman Thanks Roman, Really appreciate your kind words, you are my inspiration :smiling3: this is actually my 2nd model but my 1st one that I am going to complete successfully! The 1st model I did all wrong because I did not research as much and learn more, so I stopped and used it to practice paint chipping on and other techniques before applying to a new project. I am actually surprised how good it looks considering its my first painted model. @Laurie Thanks Laurie, and the mother of my little girl is just my girlfriend at this present time, but Im planning to propose one day haha, and nope I wont forget, now the fuselage and wings are painted its time to get the tiny parts painted and glued on :smiling3: .

Also guys I have just ordered 2 new models off Model Zone, damn I love that website, good deals and free delivery on order over 10 pound, cant beat it. Anyway, I have ordered the Academy 1:72 Fockewulf FW-190A8 "Heinz Bar" with Kubelwagen and also the Revell 1:72 BAe Hawk Mk. 1 'Red Arrows' Model Kit.

I chose to do these two because the Fockewulf I seen someone else build and it looked awsome, So thought id give it a go, and the Red Arrow, I always loved watching these fly over when I was a kid, soo I just had to get one haha.

Thanks Again guys

Scott

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work Scott,

For me, the learning process is one of the great parts of the hobby. I like to think on every build I can improve in some little way. With your enthusiasm you'll be knocking out some great models very soon.

Colin M..

B

Bunkerbarge

I often wonder just how many modellers cut thier teeth on an Airfix 1/72nd Spitfire, it's so satisfying to see you doing just the same. You are also taking on quite advanced techniques though, I don't think I even painted my first one and I hand painted canopy frames for many years before I descovered the delights of masking!

Great job on this model and really good to see you looking forward to the next build already.

V

Vajled

Well Scott...

You done it all arround for your firts model... Great job and skill you show all the way...

I cant wait to see your next project because I have strong feeling it will be also great and better in techincs

And remember what I always said: Next will be mutch better, and also next one, and next one...

Well done my friend

Roman

M

mobear

darn good first shot is what i say,Roman is right saying it only gets better

mobear

T

tecdes

Great stuff again Scott. Soon be on number 2.

Make sure , as I have, you preserve this first model. I look on mine with great pleasure. Not all that good at all but I still treasure it. The "Tiffy" my Hawker Typhoon.

Laurie

M

MrGotty

Thanks soo much for the nice comments guys means a lot! :smiling3: @Bunkerbarge Thanks man, I actually did an Iyushin Sturmovik before this one, but I made mistakes and it got damaged so I scrapped it and now use it for practicing techniques, so yeh this kind of still is my first model, my first successful model anyway lol.

@Roman Don't worry I will remember next will be better and better lol @Laurie Yup I will be saving it to look back on, not sure where to store it safely though lol maybe put it in the bedroom for a while once its completed.

Anyway guys, here is some more pics with the canopy on, did not really have to glue this on, it nicely popped in place after a bit of sanding down at the back of the canopy, but I still applied a little bit of glue just in-case :smiling3:

Thanks

Scott

View attachment 45047

View attachment 45048

View attachment 45049

View attachment 45050

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Scott thats looking fantastic, Are you going to give it a coat of future before the decals?

Great job so far.

M

MrGotty

Thanks Aaron :smiling3: Not sure what you mean, coat of future? What I am doing next though is adding the decals, and going to use decal fix and smoother, then finish it with a coat of Satin Finish I think, any opinions on that?

Scott

First Name
Aaron
Sounds like a plan, Future cuts out the need for set and sol but your way will work fine

B

Buttonman

Hey scott nice little spit your little one got a formans hat on? lmao

On the top of your camera is there a dial with different icon's ?? if so try the ladies head or a pic of a flower thats for close up also if you can set the flash on .

And lots of practice as it's digital doesn't cost a thing.

Hope this helps

Martin

M

MrGotty

Hey thanks Martin lol, and I use the little flower for taking photos of my models, wont let me turn flash on on micro mode :sad: don't really need it anyway as long as I can get some good lighting :smiling3: I will have to set up my own little area for taking pictures, not sure where though lol

Thanks

Scott

T

tecdes

Scott. Future

When you put your decals onto the painted surface you need to have a very smooth surface. Applying Johnsons Future (A liquid applied to floors to make them shine) or a gloss varnish will give you that very smooth surface.

If you do not the great likely result will be little white rings under the decals which spoil the affect. The rings must be air between the decal & paint ie the decal at these places is not in contact with the paint. This is even if you use micro sol etc. Disbelieved all this on my first model & learnt the hard lesson.

On the finish for me I use for WW11 a matt varnish as more appropriate as the paint finishes on the aircraft where matt. With a satin finish the aircraft would be more likely to reflect light & give themselves away. But that is a personal decision on how you wish your finished model to look.

Laurie

PS on lighting. Try placing your light just to one side & fractionally behind the camera. As if the light is your eye looking at the object.

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

I would definately have a practise on some scrap items and decal techniques before you commit to your Spitfire. If you have any unused transfers hanging around then paint yourself a piece of plastic with the same paint as you have painted your Spit and try getting the decals to sit down properly. You have a very matt paint there that will resist all attempts to hold decals so forst you will need to gloss the surface, which will let the decal sit properly and exclude all air from underneath it, then you can matt over afterwards. I think you will have a challenge even with repeated use of softening solutions to get the air out from below the decals on the Spitfire so having a play with scrap bits will be really time well spent.

This doesn't allow for differing standards of decal, unless you have some spare markings in the Spitfire sheet, but you should at least get a better feel for how the various solutions work. If you don't have any Future then simple Tamiya acrylic gloss varnish will work just as well.

M

MrGotty

Can I not use a Satin Varnish? Because I am going to do some chipping details to make it look wear and tear, soo I dont want it to look too shiny or too Matt, so can I use Satin Varnish instead?

Scott

D

dubster72

Even if you have a really gloss surface, once the decals are on, when you do the wash to bring out the panel lines, that will tone down the shine. Then, once you've finished the weathering, if you think it's still too glossy, a coat of satin or matt varnish will bring it to the level of finish you feel happiest with.

It's a bit trial & error, what work's for one person doesn't always do the same for another.

Cheers

Patrick

M

MrGotty

Okay thanks Patrick, looks like il have to spend an other couple of quid on gloss varnish too, I wont be using Washes on this model as I am on a short budget :smiling3: I will get some washes at some point though hopefully :smiling3:

Scott

D

dubster72

No washes?? You don't need to shell out for ready-made stuff like those from Flory Models. I do mine with oils mixed with a wee bit of ground up pastels or even talc for extra body.

If you don't have them, a thinned wash of enamel or acrylic paint is just as good but remember they're quicker drying than oils.

A wash will do wonders, giving depth to the model.

Cheers

Patrick

M

MrGotty

Thanks Patrick :smiling3: Do you have any links about applying washes?

Scott

*Edit* Nvm I found this guide http://www.scalemodelguide.com/guide/painting/paint-washes/ :smiling3:

Last edited: