Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkI/MkIIa

D

dubster72

That's a good one Scott, or check out Swanny's Models that's more based around aircraft & has all sorts of interesting stuff.

I work on a tight budget myself & I'll always look for cheap ways of doing something! I've nothing against people who use ready-made washes or pigments, but my set of oils cost £5 & the pastels £1 and they've lasted me over 3 year's now!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is looking very good indeed for your first completed project, even if not yet finished.

I know that it is your build and all that but a word of caution. Most (if not all) RAF aircraft where kept rather clean.

As a result the dirt and grime would of been minimal, A bit of exhaust staining and blow back from the machine guns, is all you really need.

Also as a result of the constant cleaning the paint acquired a natural sheen. So a satin finish would be better than a totally flat one.

A pin wash in the panel lines just to darken them a little can be made from a few drops of dark grey Humbrol Enamel (or artists Oil) paint in some turpentine. mix it like coloured thinner, not as thin paint. Then load a very fine brush with the mix and just touch the tip of the brush to the panel recesses. The wash will run along the grove and the jobs done.

Ian M

M

MrGotty

Hey Ian, Yeh I am finishing it off with a Satin Finish, as I know they are kept clean, so don't want it too shiny, Im going to do a bit of brush chipping on one side of the wing next to the fuselage to represent wear and tear from pilots stepping into the cockpit, then a bit of exhaust stains and blow back :smiling3:

Thanks for the tip :smiling3:

Scott

M

MrGotty

Hello everyone, sorry its been a few days since I have updated as I have been waiting to get some supplies, So now I have received my gloss, I have glossed up the spitfire and also added the exhausts and Antanae, looks awsome! weee! lol any way enough of being giddy haha, next up is to add the decals and use Decal Fix and Decal Medium from vallego, and also to add a wash and a bit of weathering after I have done a little research, then I will finish it with a Satin Finish!

Enjoy!

Scott

View attachment 45305

View attachment 45306

View attachment 45307

View attachment 45308

Gloss 1.jpg

Gloss 2.jpg

Gloss 3.jpg

Gloss 4.jpg

D

dubster72

I think that gloss coat has tied in the camo colours nicely! Good stuff Scott.

Cheers

Patrick

M

MrGotty

Thanks buddy, appreciate it :smiling3: Can't wait to see it finished :smiling3:

Scott

First Name
Aaron
Looking awesome Scott. Sounds like its a fun build =)

You will notice a difference when you decal up over gloss, Its the same rule for afv as well, decals over gloss for the win.

V

Vajled

I wish you luck in decaling that decals set good and all arround will be pleasure to watch...

You done excellent job so far...

Roman

M

MrGotty

Thanks Guys :smiling3: Here is some progress with the Decals, now I have to say so far, I bloody hate decals :smiling3: I am terrible at it, but I am guessing its one of those things that take a lot of practice and patience, so I will keep trying my best :smiling3: But so far I have made a few mistakes but nothing major, hope you guys like it and hope I have not ruined it lol. Any tips and suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

View attachment 45343

View attachment 45344

View attachment 45345

View attachment 45346

Decal WIP 1.jpg

Decal WIP 2.jpg

Decal WIP 3.jpg

Decal WIP 4.jpg

D

dubster72

That looks ok Scott. It would probably be an idea to invest in some setting solution ; the roundels look like they could do with sitting closer to the wing, but they'll probably be better once the 2nd gloss coat is over them.

Cheers

Patrick

M

MrGotty

yeh I used a setter and a smoother, not sure if im putting too much on or not though :/ any ideas?

Scott

D

dubster72

Perhaps some more is needed? I'm just thinking that I can't see any of the wing surface detail beneath the roundel - especially in the groove just back from the leading edge.

I am an amateur with aircraft though Scott, so get some advice from the experts!

Cheers

Patrick

V

Vajled

I'm using setter and softer from Mr. Gunze... and I'm bring it to the decal with ordinary brush square size 6... thats my way

Like putting paint on it... ok... first apllying decal in ordinary way... water, slide it to the model who is before glossed... then with cotton swab dry when I positioned it well... then:

First with brush applyed with setter start from middle till all ends, then in every direction ... up to down, left to right etc...

Like that decal same into panel line, I'm see when I brushing it with setter all air came out and I have put silvering to a minimum.

Whn I done that, i put one more light coat of seter with brush size 2 or 3 and leav it to seter work on decal.

If you see that edges of decal are wrinkled ... dont touch... must be like that, sometimes only edges are like that, somethimes all decal... it will flatten by self very soon... dont look at it, dont touch it... leave it :smiling3:

if somethimes decal didnt came into panel lines... i put on brush another amount of seter and verticali touching decal with brush, expecialy wher is panel... and also like that if I see somehvere silvering...

some modeler stab it with sewing needle, hobby knife... my way is like this... with brush... because I think brushes "hair" are stong enough to penetrate a decal.

And of course when I'm brushing a decal is gently moves...

And another thing, I fgigure this way after many and many decaling process, I see decal befor touching it with brush after first setting procedure... somethimes you cant touch it right away because you will tear it down...

practice, practice...

Hope been helpfull

Roman

M

MrGotty

Very helpful, thanks Roman so much, Lets hope the other decals turn out better! :smiling3:

Thanks

Scott

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's all looking good now Scott. I know decals can be a bit of a pain sometimes. But stick with it - to me, they bring a model to life adding another level of detail.

First Name
Aaron
Looks great to me Scott.

Fantastic job, Whats next on the bench?

M

MrGotty

Thanks guys really appreciate it :smiling3: @aaron Thanks buddy, erm... I just got few more decals to put on, mostly really tiny things grr, hate them ones haha lol then to do a bit of weathering then a coat of Satin Varnish then its done :smiling3: Then next on the bench will be a 1/72 Fockewulf 190 A-8 :smiling3: Can't wait to start that one, just got to get this one finished :smiling3: Not long now!

Scott

M

MrGotty

Hey guys, I have finally finished this spitfire but I am afraid it did not turn out the way I had hoped, I messed it up with weathering and the wheels snapped off so lessons I have learnt.

1. Put Wheels and Antanae on last!

2. Practise Weathering Majorly! lol

Decals look alot better now, I have come up with my own way of doing it :smiling3: I leave decals in water and move around a bit until they float off the paper then stick them on and use setter and smoother.

Hopefully the next one will be a lot better :smiling3:

I hope I have not ruined it for you guys but hey its all a learning process.

Thanks for all the support!

Scott

View attachment 45411

View attachment 45412

View attachment 45413

View attachment 45414

View attachment 45415

View attachment 45416

View attachment 45417

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg