Andrew's 2x 1/72 S-Model Jagdpanthers

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So now the studies are almost complete, I have selected the next victims to fill the month gap between the end of my studies and Andy's Japanese Plane GB. I'm going back to my roots and doing these. Nice and simple quick-build wargaming kits but not bad all the same and two kits in the box

I did buy metal barrels as usual but I should have waited for the kits to arrive before ordering them. The kit ones are quite good, have some nice detail and in any case, I can't make the metal ones work. :sad-face:

I'll be starting these the middle of next week, at which point I'll share some sprue shots!

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not heard of S-Model so it will be interesting to see how they go together.
I’ve built a number of their kits, and they’re all very good. Usually the suspension comes moulded in a single piece of wheels and tracks all in one (I’m guessing this kit will have at least the outer wheels separate, though), with relatively few parts overall but very well-moulded and with some photoetched parts for extra detail. Oh, and you get two to the box for most kits, unless the vehicle is very large. I would definitely recommend them.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I built two of the Renault tankettes a while ago and would highly recommend them as well. Excellent fit and finish, and very highly detailed. Looking forward to these :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

Ok, so as you may have seen we've just had a short family break and having landed yesterday I thought I'd start this thread properly.

As some of you have not heard of of S-Model, they are a Chinese Company that produce a lot of kits, some simple like this and some more complicated.
(https://fox3000.com/sModel.htm).

In this case the box contains two 1/72 Jagdpanther G2s, some super-simple instructions, a few decals and some PE. All-in-all, considering what these are designed for, the detail is pretty good, as Tim and Jakko said. Oh, and this kit cost less than £16.....or less than £8 per model not bad at all!!

I'm not sure I'll use the PE but more about that later. I also bought some metal barrels but as I said the kit ones are pretty good and in any case I don't think I can make them work with the kit, although we will see.

These will nominally be marked as from 654. Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung. As you know our little battles are nominally based in Normandy and, as far as I can make out, this was the only unit in Normandy that was equipped with them, if not at at a full complement (although I may be wrong on that front).

It so happens that in its very first combat, three Jagdpanthers from this unit caused havoc amongst the 3rd Tank Battalion (Scots Guards), 6th Guards Tank Brigade on Hill 226. Now, by a complete fluke, many years ago I decided Junior's Churchills would be from the 6th Guards Tank Brigade and having discovered they faced Jadgpanthers, I felt duty bound to add some to my stash - he does significantly outnumber me after all!! ;) :smiling5:

Reference material identified so far:

6th Guards Tank Brigade in Normandy - www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2591
654. Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung - www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1537
hurchill tanks in Normandy - www.gf9.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=404
Jagdpanther tank destroyers of Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 654 - www.militaryimages.net/media/jagdpanther-tank-destroyers-of-schwere-panzerjager-abteilung-654.85569/
Jagdpanther (Sd.Kfz.173) - https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/jagdpanther.php

There is a book available on this unit but it currently goes for about 8 times the price of the kit, so Il'l have to make do with the internet.

Anyway enough waffle, below you will find some pics.

ATB

Andrew

--------------------------------------------------------

Standard S-Model box art!

Who says instructions have to be complicated!

Plastic - not that bad IMHO

Metal and decals - the holes in the PE are FAR too small and will block any view what is underneath but I have a cunning plan of truly Baldrick-like proportions!

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I’ve built a number of their kits, and they’re all very good. Usually the suspension comes moulded in a single piece of wheels and tracks all in one (I’m guessing this kit will have at least the outer wheels separate, though), with relatively few parts overall but very well-moulded and with some photoetched parts for extra detail. Oh, and you get two to the box for most kits, unless the vehicle is very large. I would definitely recommend them.
I built two of the Renault tankettes a while ago and would highly recommend them as well. Excellent fit and finish, and very highly detailed. Looking forward to these :thumb2:

Tim, Jakko

They're not bad are they and thanks for replying to Jim and Bob, I just didn't have the time!

Not heard of S-Model so it will be interesting to see how they go together.
Me too Jim, a interesting build, count me in Andrew

Hi both, hopefully you know a bit more now thanks to Jakko and Tim.

Nice one Andrew, look forward to watching these

Welcome to the party Mick! Glad to have you on board!

Thanks chaps for joining the ride!

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andrew, why do they even bother with that etch...in 1-72 there should be plenty of raw material for you to make your own screens and covers. ;) Very basic kit it is, but much can be done to improve even the "larger" scale gaming pieces.:tongue-out3: I have never had to cut my JP's off a sprue (come pre-assembled) but that's about where my build begins once I have pulled them to pieces. I am amazed you get them so cheap, in my scale they would run about 12 Pounds apiece. Looking at your sprue shots, I find the details to be comparable. All good fun! I'll follow along and keep an eye peeled for the rest of the "rabble":thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew, why do they even bother with that etch...in 1-72 there should be plenty of raw material for you to make your own screens and covers. ;) Very basic kit it is, but much can be done to improve even the "larger" scale gaming pieces.:tongue-out3: I have never had to cut my JP's off a sprue (come pre-assembled) but that's about where my build begins once I have pulled them to pieces. I am amazed you get them so cheap, in my scale they would run about 12 Pounds apiece. Looking at your sprue shots, I find the details to be comparable. All good fun! I'll follow along and keep an eye peeled for the rest of the "rabble":thumb2:

Hi Rick

Don't worry the etch is out....the more I look at it the more I realise how they failed in their attempts to achieve the effect that they were after. I'll post some shots up later. My solution though is much better IMHO!

ATB

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Andrew,

Wow, great to see you posting a build of these Kitty's and they look like fun. I guess now that your schooling is over, you have time to hit the table and enjoy yourself a bit. I'll try and keep up with you now, my friend...

Prost
Allen

PS, Are they done yet???........

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morn Andrew,

Wow, great to see you posting a build of these Kitty's and they look like fun. I guess now that your schooling is over, you have time to hit the table and enjoy yourself a bit. I'll try and keep up with you now, my friend...

Prost
Allen

PS, Are they done yet???........

Thanks Allen.....studies not quite done! Last Friday, before we went away, I printed off the final draft of the assignment and then put it to one side. I then had another read through this morning. I've got some changes to make and then I'll put aside for 24 hours before submitting tomorrow morning. The deadline is the 5th so I have plenty of time!

Oh and thanks for asking!!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Evening all!!

So as some of you know I've been on holiday the whole week, although we only got back from Amsterdam late Wednesday night. I've therefore made good progress with these already, in between the final tweaks to the assignment and its eventual submission. Progress was also helped by my wife and Junioress heading off yesterday morning for an overnight stay and they're still not back.

The main parts are all together and there's no mistaking what they are, as you can see.

The fit was very good as Jakko and Tim said, the only issue was attaching the track guards and accompany side pieces that run the length of the hull, as the attachment points are minimal. But by the third one I had a system worked out.

I decided to ditch the AM barrels, as I couldn't make them work due to the way the gun attaches to the kit and the kit ones actually have better detail around the base anyway. Plus given they're 88mm, the barrel is pretty robust and less likely to break (the main reason I use metal barrels).

The grey strips you can see in the hatches in one kit are rudimentary 'seats' made from old bits of sprue for the AM crew. The one piece suspension/track pieces won't go on until after they have been painted, as it will be much easier that way.

The side skirts will be left off, as all the pictures I have found of JPs from 654 show no skirts, plus it makes the tracks much easier to attach!

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

----------------------------------------

Shame I couldn't make the AM barrels work but never mind!

The rudimentary crew 'seats'

Coming on nicely and detail is ok although some of it is moulded on, which is a shame...

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Andrew, won't be long before you are slapping on the wet stuff! :thumb2:

That's the plan Rick! I wanted something nice and simple to get me back into the swing of things and I hope to have these done before Andy's Japanese Plane GB starts in July but as you know I love to procrastinate sometimes! ;)

Great start andrew , cant wait to see the cunning plan for the grilles , cheers tony

Thanks Tony.....the planning is truly cunning and IMHO far superior to the PE.....Baldrick and Blackadder would be proud!! :smiling5:

That’s nice progress, and good-looking models.

Thanks Jakko, they're not bad are they?

Thanks as always chaps!

ATB

Andrew