Andrew's 2x 1/72 S-Model Jagdpanthers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
They look very good indeed. Far better than the price and the part count would suggest. Wheels and tracks in one piece work at this scale. Thanks Jakko and Tim for the info. Definitely a make to look out for.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
They look very good indeed. Far better than the price and the part count would suggest. Wheels and tracks in one piece work at this scale. Thanks Jakko and Tim for the info. Definitely a make to look out for.

My Magic carpet Mk7 is hovering nearby awaiting updates. Looks interesting Andy.

Jim, Doug

A very, very belated thanks for the support. Most remiss of me!

See below for the latest update!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I've been plodding on with this slowly. The main construction is almost complete, I've just got to finish one set of 'tracks'.

As some of you may recall I like to take these simple quick build kits and add a bit of detail.

To that end I've added some attachment points for some tow cables and some some weld seems on the main joins. To do this I added some 0.3 or 0.5mm stryene rod in the appropriate places and once the glue had dried, coated it again in TET and then left it for about 15 seconds to soften up, before rolling over it with a rough, round, needle file. It's probably a bit out of scale but it adds a bit of interest.

Three out the four set of tracks are done. As you will have seen these are very simple one-piece affairs. The sprue attachment points were pretty chunky and, unfortunately, the two halves of moulds were not aligned properly, creating a step and a bit of seam line right around the tracks.

To address this, I simply took a No. 11 blade and scraped it through 180 degrees in the dip to get the tracks even. I then sanded it down before 'painting' it with Humbrol's poly glue to smooth it all out. It's not perfect and obviously wouldn't pass muster on a display kit but for wargaming it's fine.

They may not be up to display kit but there is no mistaking what they are!

All comments welcome as usual.

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------

My weld seems and a rear detail shot
Just remember is was only £15 for the pair, so it won't set the modelling world alight!
The green bits you can see on the rear of the superstructure are little plastic tubes that will hold the radio antenna.

VERY simple tracks
But at least I don't have worry about all those individual wheels or track links!
As you can see quite bad misalignment but it looks ok in the end

The one on the left has received the 'scrape' treatment but not been painted in glue.

A 'raw' one with a finished one

Tracks in place....just a dry fit.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks great Andrew......very similar to 1-87 scale in construction. I've not used the rod method, as you stated, it is a little out of scale. I scribe the existing weld lines deeper and then fill them with putty and tool in the bead using a dentil probe.....works the bomb! Nice touch on the track clean up. :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The tracks are usually the weak point of these S-Model kits, yes. It would be better if they moulded them in a couple of sections so they can get some detail on the outer faces, but I guess ease of assembly is more important. But quite odd, given how well-detailed the rest of the model tends to be.

Last edited:

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Nice looking builds. The added weld detail is a nice touch! Removing the mold seam from the tracks might be tedious but vastly improves their look.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks great Andrew......very similar to 1-87 scale in construction. I've not used the rod method, as you stated, it is a little out of scale. I scribe the existing weld lines deeper and then fill them with putty and tool in the bead using a dentil probe.....works the bomb! Nice touch on the track clean up. :thumb2:

Thanks Rick! Good point on the putty. I hadn't thought of that. Will save it for next time!

The tracks are usually the weak point of these S-Model kits, yes. It would be better if they moulded them in a couple of sections so they can get some detail on the outer faces, but I guess ease of assembly is more important. But quite odd, given how well-detailed the rest of the model tends to be.

I know what you mean Jakko. Everything really is very nice all things considered.

Nice looking builds. The added weld detail is a nice touch! Removing the mold seam from the tracks might be tedious but vastly improves their look.

Thanks Ernie. It actually wasn't too bad once I worked out the bst way of going it and getting into a rhythm.

Thanks again chaps!

ATB

Andrew

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Late is the hour i join the frong.The secretary of our local club showed me some S model kits last week.I was very impressed with them indeed.I think Peter said Plastic soldier company used to bring them to uk.I love dabbling in 1.72nd from time to time and your jagds are looking rather fandabbydosey.
Great work chap.
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s working up well Andrew. Nice refinements on a nice kit I’d say.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just had a quick catch up on this one, looking very neat and tidy Andrew:thumb2:.... tiny little blighters aren't they!! ;)

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Late is the hour i join the frong.The secretary of our local club showed me some S model kits last week.I was very impressed with them indeed.I think Peter said Plastic soldier company used to bring them to uk.I love dabbling in 1.72nd from time to time and your jagds are looking rather fandabbydosey.
Great work chap.
Richard

Good progress. You've definitely sorted out those tracks.

Andrew,
The tracks look a lot better now. That's a nice looking build.

That’s working up well Andrew. Nice refinements on a nice kit I’d say.

Just had a quick catch up on this one, looking very neat and tidy Andrew:thumb2:.... tiny little blighters aren't they!! ;)

Thanks all! Glad your liking them!

Richard - he's right I certainly used to see them on Plastic Soldier Company website a lot. Not been on their much recently but don't recall seeing them last time I was on there. These were an Ali Express purchase.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good afternoon all

So a bit more work on this yesterday afternoon and this morning, on the engine deck.

The PE supplied as mesh for the various fans and vents wasn't up to the job, as the proportions were all wrong - unless it was meant to represent armour plates that I have seen mentioned, which were apparently fitted to protect them from damage from above.

Instead I have used 18 count print screen mesh. I got some of this from an old member on another forum I was one. He really took me under his wing when I first came back to the hobby; he was an absolute genius at 1/72, amongst the best I have ever seen.

As you will hopefully see below, it does look very good....and if not absolutely perfect scale wise, a vast improvement on the supplied PE.

But as you will also see, I have not quite finished it.

ATB

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------

So the supplied PE compared to the Mesh
...it may not look like it but there are holes in that PE. The white squares you can just see are the cutting matt 1cm squares.

Initial pieces
I actually did more rectangles than needed, so I could choose the best ones

And in place (mostly)
Not perfect but hopefully ok from a distance.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow!!! What a difference that mesh makes Andrew. 1000% improvement over the etch supplied for sure...One thing puzzles me though Buddy, Is the coin in the pics all that you earned from your money laundering skills??? Not too profitable, I would say.........

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow!!! What a difference that mesh makes Andrew. 1000% improvement over the etch supplied for sure...One thing puzzles me though Buddy, Is the coin in the pics all that you earned from your money laundering skills??? Not too profitable, I would say.........

Prost
Allen

Thank you Allen. They aren't looking too bad are they?

As for you're other question, I'll have to plead the 5th (at least I would if I was in the US!!)......suffice to say it doesn't pay to flaunt ostentatious wealth around on the internet does it??!?!? ;)

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks again all for the support.

So the last update for the weekend, with me attempting the tow cables.

Not used these before but all in all very impressed.

Copper is very soft and easy to bend as you wish, although I did have to very carefully make the holes a bit bigger. I did make the cables a bit shorter too, maybe a bit too short but I can make them work.

Thanks again!

ATB.

Andrew