Andy`s 1/48 Beaufighter

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks very much Guys :smiling3: ..
Will answer in more detail soon,but for now.. Decals on... and we're ready to rock...
IMG20230108170742.jpg
... You have to put the red dot in separately?!..
IMG20230108182429.jpg
IMG20230108182436.jpg
It's certainly coming along now, just going to seal that with some semi gloss tomorrow,then do the Flory wash,(when it arrives),add the Aircrew,and then it'll be more or less done ;)

Attachments

• IMG20230108182445.jpg
    IMG20230108182445.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20230108182436.jpg
    IMG20230108182436.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 6

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking sweet in her stickers Andy. Don’t understand the separate dot idea myself. Some decal manufacturers do it and some don’t.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking sweet in her stickers Andy. Don’t understand the separate dot idea myself. Some decal manufacturers do it and some don’t.
Cheers Tim :smiling3:
.. yes,that is a bit of a mystery eh?! ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Love it!! Especially the wheelbarrows!!

Keep up the great work!

ATB.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Cheers Tim :smiling3:
.. yes,that is a bit of a mystery eh?! ;)
I believe it's something to do with avoiding the decal being out of register. So they are telling us we can line up the centre than their machine can do it.

But anyway, the Bea' is looking splendid.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Well Mr. Smiff, my Revell 1/48 Mossie decals also had the red dot to be added to the markings. On the other hand, you can't blame Cohan for the backwards tailfin decals. I do believe he is color blind and couldn't tell the difference or how they were supposed to go on. You're supposed to be helping him Andy...Nice work though, and the paint job looks great!!!

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I believe it's something to do with avoiding the decal being out of register. So they are telling us we can line up the centre than their machine can do it.

But anyway, the Bea' is looking splendid.
So they can line up the white on the blue, but not the red on the white LOL…

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well Mr. Smiff, my Revell 1/48 Mossie decals also had the red dot to be added to the markings. On the other hand, you can't blame Cohan for the backwards tailfin decals. I do believe he is color blind and couldn't tell the difference or how they were supposed to go on. You're supposed to be helping him Andy...Nice work though, and the paint job looks great!!!

Prost
Allen
Careful there Allen. Cohan is not colourblind. He sees more colours than we do. He can see UVA light….we can’t. :cool:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking excellent andy , the seperate dot is just a precaution against it being out of register as each colour is printed on the decal sheet one after the other any slight shift between printings can cause the red dot to be out of centre. Obviously this can happen with the other colours too but most of the time it isnt noticeable but the dot only has to be out a fraction to look obvious. Surprisingly the good old mk1 eyeball can get it spot on fairly easily. I remember a good few decals back in the day that looked very wonky , Novo were notorious for it , but their decals were terrible anyway , see through , out of register and used to disintegrate in the water!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking excellent andy , the seperate dot is just a precaution against it being out of register as each colour is printed on the decal sheet one after the other any slight shift between printings can cause the red dot to be out of centre. Obviously this can happen with the other colours too but most of the time it isnt noticeable but the dot only has to be out a fraction to look obvious. Surprisingly the good old mk1 eyeball can get it spot on fairly easily. I remember a good few decals back in the day that looked very wonky , Novo were notorious for it , but their decals were terrible anyway , see through , out of register and used to disintegrate in the water!
Interesting, because it seems a recent “innovation“ to me Tony, and I would think printing technology is much more accurate these days. Mind you, I have some out of register Xtradecals in the stash so you are probably right.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Interesting, because it seems a recent “innovation“ to me Tony, and I would think printing technology is much more accurate these days. Mind you, I have some out of register Xtradecals in the stash so you are probably right.
I think it started quite a bit ago Tim , when all decals were screen printed , one colour at a time one after the other , as you say I imagine modern printing techniques would be able to get round this problem ?

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evening guys,thanks for all of your comments, very much appreciated :smiling3:
Just a little update...
My Flory Models Dark Dirt arrived yesterday,and tonight I managed to get some varnish on the thing. ;)
..So let it cure overnight,and my first attempt at that tomorrow!!
Whilst kicking mi heels on that,I did a bit more to the Aircrew,(Two identical 3d printed ones I bought from the bay that is evil)... Early stages obviously, but the casts do show promise I reckon :smiling3:
Anyway,ere's the plane Semi glossed up,and the Aircrew,so far...
IMG20230112190136.jpg
IMG20230112190148.jpg
IMG20230112190304.jpg
So much more to do,but so enjoyable :smiling3: ... I'm expecting to get a LOAD more done tomorrow... In fact,it should be close to finished ;)
Until then.....