Andy T's 1/48 Tamiya Ilyushin il-2 Sturmovik

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tony & Nick. Despite the few niggles along the way it's turning out to be my favourite aircraft build so far.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think it's a wrap for this one.

I had another go at an oil dot filter but like previous attempts I blended it out a bit too much, so it's barely visible in the photos. Nice and subtle though I guess. The Eazy Line rigging for the antenna was a battle too but it came out well enough for pictures. Like most of my work it wouldn't stand close inspection but looks okay on a phone screen lol

Will try and get some completed shots if the rain ever stops, and thanks again for letting me take part in this group build and all of your fantastic comments along the way

2023-10-26 11.17.45.jpg

2023-10-26 11.17.36.jpg

2023-10-26 11.17.25.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is a great result Andy. I would certainly be proud of it. With oils I reckon blending out to a subtle finish is the way to go. You're only trying to achieve a worn, dirty finish which I think you have done.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jim and Andrea, I'm very happy with this one.

A number of times I've set off with the plan of going extreme with the weathering but end up settling at "just enough"

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

That's turned out beautifully. Very nicely done indeed.

One to be proud of!!

Thanks for taking part in this GB.

ATB.

Andrew

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Thanks Andy, Andrew, Mick & Geoff :thumb2: I'm glad you like it and yes, the Quinta stuff has impressed me once again.

The cockpit & gunners area received a wash and a bit of chipping to dirty them up a little. Nothing major as it'll be mostly hidden under the canopy but at least I know I've done something:

View attachment 493005

After sanding the fuselage joints I gave them a quick squirt of Mr Finishing Surfacer to see if further work was needed. I think not :smiling3:

View attachment 493006

View attachment 493007

Then a really boring shot of neutral grey on neutral grey plastic lol. The landing gear, bays & doors are at least painted up now ready for a bit of weathering and further assembly. I'm unsure how much of the radiator & oil coolers will be seen but I've started to paint them up also:

View attachment 493008
Some class work there!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks very much guys.

It was a pleasure to be part of it Andrew.

Sorry completely missed this! Pleasure to have you aboard!