Andy T's 1/48 Tamiya Ilyushin il-2 Sturmovik

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tim.

I keep reading that it's all about contrast and layers so hopefully, if the markings & decals go to plan, I'll be enhancing those further.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Good stuff Andy, it’s looking great :thumb2:

Have you used MRP paint for the upper camo too?

Geoff.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes Geoff, with a splash of Mr leveling thinner. I also added a drop of S M S white at times to lighten the colour.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Firstly, condolences on your loss.

Secondly, very well done. That camo has come out beautifully!!

Great job.

ATB.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking superb andy , not familiar with this plasmo guy but I doubt that his could be better than this . Cheers tony

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all so much, I'm really happy with how it's going so far.

Looking superb andy , not familiar with this plasmo guy but I doubt that his could be better than this . Cheers tony
I reckon some of his 729,000 youtube subscribers might disagree, but then it earns him more than enough to be able to model for a living, so he has an advantage lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you all so much, I'm really happy with how it's going so far.

I reckon some of his 729,000 youtube subscribers might disagree, but then it earns him more than enough to be able to model for a living, so he has an advantage lol
You know, I’ve always though that if I had to model for a living I’d need a different hobby…..

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Yes, if you were getting paid for it it'd be work, rather than fun.
Pete
I have had the great privilege of being paid to make models almost all of my working life, and probably because it was architecture,which is not really an interest, I never lost my passion for model making as a hobby.
They do say that if you can find a job that you love, you'll never do a day's work in your life....
Guilty as charged, m'lud!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Canopy is now painted. The Montex masks were a decent fit although they wanted to lift on the curved bits. That might have been the cold. Maybe a blast from the hairdryer would have helped.

1000004945.jpg

And despite Tamiya's warning I managed to lose this doodad a while back:

1000004944.jpg

Luckily there was just enough room to carefully drill a 0.3mm hole in the top of the rudder. I found some wire that would fit and fashioned the blobby bit by building up layers of CA glue. Not identical but at least it's a representation and I'm happy with that. I'll cut it to length and fit later so I don't knock it off again:

1000004946.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Canopy is now painted. The Montex masks were a decent fit although they wanted to lift on the curved bits. That might have been the cold. Maybe a blast from the hairdryer would have helped.

View attachment 493789

And despite Tamiya's warning I managed to lose this doodad a while back:

View attachment 493790

Luckily there was just enough room to carefully drill a 0.3mm hole in the top of the rudder. I found some wire that would fit and fashioned the blobby bit by building up layers of CA glue. Not identical but at least it's a representation and I'm happy with that. I'll cut it to length and fit later so I don't knock it off again:

View attachment 493791
Nice save!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy , just read your earlier posts. Sorry for your wife's loss, please offer her our condolences .
Plane looking good, like the recovery with the offering.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Gor love Tamiya decals.....NOT
lol

These seem thinner than their usual offerings to be fair, but that meant they were a bit delicate for my usual heavy handed approach! One side has settled pretty well, and with a single gloss coat there is nowhere near the usual step, despite being many separate decals, overlapping in places:

2023-10-24 09.55.53.jpg

The port side was less successful. I did my usual and stuck my fingers to it while working on the opposite ones. It peeled, splintered, folded, you name it. This was the best I could manage, with a few bubbles appearing after the gloss. I'm hoping to get it to lay down a bit better then disguise what's left with chipping & weathering.

It's not like a tank where I could slap a crate or tarp over it :smiling5:

2023-10-24 09.56.04.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
lol

These seem thinner than their usual offerings to be fair, but that meant they were a bit delicate for my usual heavy handed approach! One side has settled pretty well, and with a single gloss coat there is nowhere near the usual step, despite being many separate decals, overlapping in places:

View attachment 493810

The port side was less successful. I did my usual and stuck my fingers to it while working on the opposite ones. It peeled, splintered, folded, you name it. This was the best I could manage, with a few bubbles appearing after the gloss. I'm hoping to get it to lay down a bit better then disguise what's left with chipping & weathering.

It's not like a tank where I could slap a crate or tarp over it :smiling5:

View attachment 493811

You're right... They don't look too bad!!! After all I cannot see the usual step in the photos!!

Interestingly, the Smythe Meister had problems with one of his long decals in his Raiden splintering!