Andy T's 1/48 Tamiya Ilyushin il-2 Sturmovik

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Andy. Turning into an excellent build. The bubbly transfer could well improve with another round or two of decal solution. You probably already know this, but I’ve found pricking a couple of holes in the bubbles using a sharp scalpel helps the solution get in and the trapped air get out, so that might be worth a try.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fantastic work so far Andy, and condolences to you and your wife.
Thank you Ian, on both counts. Much appreciated.

You're right... They don't look too bad!!! After all I cannot see the usual step in the photos!!

Interestingly, the Smythe Meister had problems with one of his long decals in his Raiden splintering!
Maybe they have cured one problem and created another lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well I think it looks pretty good Andy . Paintwork is impressive .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
After snapping one of the cannon barrels off for the umpteenth time I figured I'd beef it up a bit:

1000004959.jpg

The builder I mentioned earlier replaced his with hypodermic needles, but nothing so fancy here! I drilled & pinned it with some copper wire. Should hopefully be more sturdy now:

1000004960.jpg

The kit MG barrels were never going to clean up well since they were about the same size as their gate, so I used wire for those too. The photo makes it look bent but it isn't. Honest guv'nor!

1000004961.jpg

After a bit of detail painting and some chipping the aircraft got a coat of my favourite satin varnish from VMS. You literally hose it on then stand back in horror as it looks aweful :surprised:

However, having used it several times before I kept the faith, rigged up a dust cover and let it dry naturally to allow the product time to do its thing:

1000004963.jpg

After some time we are left with this, ready for weathering:

1000004967.jpg

1000004966.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's really taking shape Andy.....even with all the little foibles and mishaps! Keep it coming Pardner. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good indeed Andy!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Fine job Andy. Glad the decals went ok. They look good. I like VMS stuff in general but I do agree it takes a leap of faith to apply a heavy enough coat of their varnish.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys!

The underside is pretty much finished now. The bay doors were an absolute beast to fit, requiring both tweezers and CA, two things I avoid as much as possible. At least they are in, and a bit of matt varnish should hide the glue that went everywhere!

I would like to have done more weathering but I just keep breaking things, so better to stop now :smiling3:

1000004976.jpg

1000004977.jpg

There's still a bit more work to do topside but the canopy & exhausts are now fitted.

1000004975.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is looking rather excellent. Underside painting/weathering looks just as it should.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking superb andy , the weathering is spot on , just the right amount of muckying up and chipping . Painting the canopy seperate worked a treat too , the joint is totally invisible ! Fantastic work , cheers tony