Andy's 1/48 Bf 109

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And they say that lightning doesn't strike twice!

Sorry to hear it's being a hassle Andy. I'm sure it'll look great when finished but as you say, the journey should be fun.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t want to be the bringer of bad news, but there was something about this kit at the back of my mind. I’ve just had a look and that’s the early Eduard 109. It had so many size issues (basically it was bigger than 1/48) that Eduard withdrew it and reissued it later after they had made multiple corrections. The size issues were very widely reported, but I don’t remember any fit issues being highlighted?
Don’t give up on Eduard. The later kits are excellent, and they seem to get better every time they put a new kit out. The Zero I built recently was probably the best kit I’ve ever made.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Pilot in place certainly looks very good. Shame about the kit itself. I've built a couple over the years and they've been rather good.
Despite everything it's odds on you'll make a fine job of it in the end.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Don’t want to be the bringer of bad news, but there was something about this kit at the back of my mind. I’ve just had a look and that’s the early Eduard 109. It had so many size issues (basically it was bigger than 1/48) that Eduard withdrew it and reissued it later after they had made multiple corrections. The size issues were very widely reported, but I don’t remember any fit issues being highlighted?
Don’t give up on Eduard. The later kits are excellent, and they seem to get better every time they put a new kit out. The Zero I built recently was probably the best kit I’ve ever made.

Ok.... So I was on the right track....

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy

Really sorry to hear that, especially as you got them after seeing my acquisitions......but check the vintage of the kits before you ditch them. Yours is 2012 and AndyT's was around 2010 IIRC and so that might be the issue. I certainly had a few problems with my Yak and that was 1998.

ATB

Andrew
Certainly no need to apologise there Andrew!... It's probably just my lack of skills holding me back :sad:
... It's just not as conducive to my abilities as,say,the likes of Tamiya,I.C.M. ect ;)
The eduard kits ive done have been good so thats a shame, guess they all knock out a not so great one from time to time, sure itll look ok time you got some paint on it.
Cheers Mark, I'm going to preserve with it,and hopefully I'll get something that resembles a 109 in the end. ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Pilot in place certainly looks very good. Shame about the kit itself. I've built a couple over the years and they've been rather good.
Despite everything it's odds on you'll make a fine job of it in the end.
Thanks Jim,I appreciate your faith in me!! ;)
Ok.... So I was on the right track....
... You were indeed Andrew, it'll be ok in the end....I hope !! :smiling3:
And they say that lightning doesn't strike twice!

Sorry to hear it's being a hassle Andy. I'm sure it'll look great when finished but as you say, the journey should be fun.
Yes,it shouldn't should it Andy,mind you, I'm used to things happening to me that SHOULDN'T !!:tears-of-joy:
Cheers Tim, good points,the size issues are apparent, it's also a bit odd that you have to cut various bits off if you want the engine "enclosed", surely the bits should fit if the covers are on or not... Or is that just me being naive?! I've had to shove lots of bits off of the various panels just to get them even remotely to fit!! As I said, it's probably just me,but I've built enough planes by now to thing I have a rough idea of good fit,to bad fit!:thinking:

... Anyway, I'm gonna crack on,as you'll see shortly. ;) ......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Thanks Jim,I appreciate your faith in me!! ;)

... You were indeed Andrew, it'll be ok in the end....I hope !! :smiling3:

Yes,it shouldn't should it Andy,mind you, I'm used to things happening to me that SHOULDN'T !!:tears-of-joy:

Cheers Tim, good points,the size issues are apparent, it's also a bit odd that you have to cut various bits off if you want the engine "enclosed", surely the bits should fit if the covers are on or not... Or is that just me being naive?! I've had to shove lots of bits off of the various panels just to get them even remotely to fit!! As I said, it's probably just me,but I've built enough planes by now to thing I have a rough idea of good fit,to bad fit!:thinking:

... Anyway, I'm gonna crack on,as you'll see shortly. ;) ......
The fit thing is to do with the overscale thickness of the panels I think Andy. Irritates me that some kits can’t be built buttoned up though.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evening guys, been doing bits to this as the weeks allow,(work,and trying to get my tax returns done is killing it a bit!!:loudly-crying:,anywho...
IMG20240115172032.jpg
The Luftwaffe Light Blue gone on the underside,and then masked for the base camo...
IMG20240115184409.jpg
Which is now applied,then masked for the darker green..
IMG20240116161323.jpg
What have I done?!! Anyway,the Darker Green has now been put down...
IMG20240116171936.jpg
... And finally for now,the wheels were done also...
IMG20240115175235.jpg
..... So,the great reveal will happen tomorrow... much trepidation going on at Smythe Ranch about that!! :flushed:

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Done a bit more,had some overspray going on, but tried to correct it somewhat.., here we are at the moment..
IMG20240118163640.jpg
...the pilot there... haven't wrecked him yet!! Next the main stuff...
IMG20240118181841.jpg
IMG20240118181903.jpg
IMG20240118183657.jpg
IMG20240118183720.jpg
.. so there you go,it needs some tidying up, but considering the build problems,I'd say it's coming out better than I expected ;)
Cheers for now...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
As the others have said that's coming on very nicely indeed!

ATB.

Andrew