Andy's 1/48 Bf 109

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for all of your positive comments Guys,much appreciated :smiling3:
This kit and I simply have just not got on!! Don't really know why, it's very nicely detailed, but I've just found it incredibly frustrating!!
Anyway, I'm now calling it "done".... certainly not my best effort,(that's an understatement!!),I went for a well beaten look,.....
IMG20240124170643.jpg
IMG20240124170617.jpg
IMG20240124170758.jpg
IMG20240124170417.jpg
Thanks again for all of your comments. :smiling3:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I dont get on with any kit that takes longer than a week and thats all of em lol despite the issues that looks like its turned out well to me.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well no complaints from me Andy!

I know you had issues but I it's turned out beautifully.

ATB.

Andrew

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for all of your positive comments Guys,much appreciated :smiling3:
This kit and I simply have just not got on!! Don't really know why, it's very nicely detailed, but I've just found it incredibly frustrating!!
Anyway, I'm now calling it "done".... certainly not my best effort,(that's an understatement!!),I went for a well beaten look,.....
View attachment 500493
View attachment 500496
View attachment 500497
View attachment 500498
Thanks again for all of your comments. :smiling3:
I’m just about to go through the mill with mine. Are the leading slats supposed to be out?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s great to know as the instructions Ive seen don’t mention that. So all slats are deployed then as most kits are grounded?
As I understand it they are free mounted, not sprung, so as the aircraft sits on its tail on the ground they usually fall back into place under gravity. Any that don’t are pushed back into place by the ground crew to keep the recesses clean.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Answer here:
A common question asked regarding the 109 is "Should the slats be in or out when the aircraft is parked?" The answer is "yes". The slats are free-moving devices, and are commonly seen extended in many wartime and contemporary photos; however, if manually pushed back into the wing, the slats would remain there until the aircraft moved, at which time they would extend of their own volition. This action was confirmed by Günther Rall when questioned by Lair visitor Erik Whipple some time back; according to Gen. Rall, it was common practice at their field to push the slats in once the aircraft were secured so that no dust or debris would accumulate in the traveling tracks. Evidently at least one new pilot was lost due to faulty operation of the slats when taking off, which led to this practice. However, as with almost everything else 109-related, if the position of the slats is of serious concern to you when building a static model, consult your references to determine the best configuration.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As I understand it they are free mounted, not sprung, so as the aircraft sits on its tail on the ground they usually fall back into place under gravity. Any that don’t are pushed back into place by the ground crew to keep the recesses clean.
Cheers for this! I just reread Chris’ comment (is that correct grammar? Chris’) and was trying to work out the answer

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
is that correct grammar? Chris’
Only if Chris is plural :smiling3: If Chris is singular, it’s Chris’s — but you’ll probably find more people writing Chris’ than not anyway.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Only if Chris is plural :smiling3: If Chris is singular, it’s Chris’s — but you’ll probably find more people writing Chris’ than not anyway.
Got to be careful with the apostrophe in English Jakko. We don’t use it particularly logically. Something belonging to “it” is written its, not it’s, for example. It’s is a short form of it is. Its annoyed me for ever.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The addition of having a complicated set of language rules and a US spull chicker don’t not help either!!!!