Andy's 1:48 ICM HE 111

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That’s coming along nicely Andy. Excellent work on the interior, always my favourite part of the build…..
Thanks Tim,the etch has been fiddly and I haven't used all of it by any means, but enough to make it look fairly detailed :thumb2:
Coming on very nicely matey.
Cheers Scottie, it's taking shape now :nerd:.

Some more progress......
The instructions say to chop off the tail end at this point if you're doing the bomber version, for the MG,(I didn't even know they had one!! ),
124e3cef42f36fbe4018a26eec4ba725--gun-turret-luftwaffe.jpg
IMG20240216172125.jpg
I'd have done this when the fuselage halves were separate if I'd realised, would've been much easier, however...
IMG20240217141809.jpg
The replacement tail was then added,as were some Wingy bits...
IMG20240217185532.jpg
IMG20240217185553.jpg
IMG20240217185614.jpg
Man this thing's big... Bigger than I'd expected anyway!! I've always loved the look of a 111,and this has just made that love even stronger,such a cool beast I reckon :smiling3:

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That is a fair old size,taking shape nicely.
Cheers Mark,it sure is! :smiling3:

So then,moving on,engines are fitted....
IMG20240218161639.jpgand then I came across some fit issues......,after putting the engine covers on the wing didn't fit, actually it was WAY out,resulting in having to chop out the guiding rails.....
IMG20240220163050.jpg
IMG20240220180946.jpg
With slowly moving around the wing in stages,gluing, clamping, waiting after each "area",I got it to fit much better,but not perfectly....
IMG20240221164529.jpg
You can see that I've removed the covers on the other side,as I wanted to check that the method worked before committing to it......
IMG20240221164633.jpg
There you can see the gaps that I am left with,hence my question re "Sprue Goo" last night! All in all I'm quite chuffed as the initial fit was SO poor that it was almost binable!!
I looked on Britmodeller and YouTube where I found a couple of guys who had the exact same problems,so it isn't something I've done wrong!
Anyway,going to do the other wing this afternoon,so hopefully progress afterwards will be a bit less stressful!! ;)
As always, thanks for looking in :smiling3:
Cheers for now.....

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good mate great work on getting the wings to work.
Cheers Scottie,I think with some filling and paint on, they'll be fine :thumb2:
Andy, regards the upper wing fit, could you not trim the arrowed section as below? Would that give you a better fit???

View attachment 502330
Hi Doug, thanks for that, removing the "rails" that slot over those arrowed sections helped a lot,the gap I'm left with is caused,(I think!),by the engine covers themselves being a poor fit.After all of the fettling I did I think I'll settle for the end result. ;)
(As an aside,the other wing seems to be going together better so far:thumb2:)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cheers Scottie,I think with some filling and paint on, they'll be fine :thumb2:

Hi Doug, thanks for that, removing the "rails" that slot over those arrowed sections helped a lot,the gap I'm left with is caused,(I think!),by the engine covers themselves being a poor fit.After all of the fettling I did I think I'll settle for the end result. ;)
(As an aside,the other wing seems to be going together better so far:thumb2:)
Glad you have it in hand Andy. :thumb2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Sorry, I am late for this build, I remember being given the Airfix one for a long ago Xmas... Also remember watching the CASA 111 Spanish Air Force ones they used in the 'Battle of Britain' film. So looking forward to seeing your build progress.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's big alright, how are you going to display it when done Andy ?
Hope the three of you are ok.
Love to Rach and a stroke to Cohan .

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry, I am late for this build, I remember being given the Airfix one for a long ago Xmas... Also remember watching the CASA 111 Spanish Air Force ones they used in the 'Battle of Britain' film. So looking forward to seeing your build progress.
Mike.
Hi Mike, good to have you looking in :thumb2:
That's big alright, how are you going to display it when done Andy ?
Hope the three of you are ok.
Love to Rach and a stroke to Cohan .
Yes John, it's certainly large,I might have to clear out a shelf for it in my larger cabinet! We're all good thanks, hope your letting problem is progressing :hugging-face:.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just realised that it's been nearly 2 months since I've done anything to this one!!:flushed:
So,with that in mind,(and a tube of VJ putty in hand),I shall be pushing on with the build for a few hours this afternoon :thumb2:, until then........