Aoshima Yamaha SR400

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Ok engine is just about there top and bottom complete, but a fair bit of fettling to get it here will press on as per plans nothing painted and i must have a good 40% of it soaking in bleach a lot of plated parts that just look so ugly ….3F0BA3F9-3548-4824-B426-3DB98D391FCD.jpeg3E5E091F-F592-457E-ABE9-A0DB4159FDDA.jpeg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I found it easier to insert the spoke in through the hub first then out through the rim and give it a good drop of thick CA. Then trimmed them to length after.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
I found it easier to insert the spoke in through the hub first then out through the rim and give it a good drop of thick CA. Then trimmed them to length after.
I might try that on the rear wheel when i get to it thanks for the tip

simon

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent progress Simon. The wheel has come out really well. Engine isn’t too shabby either :thumb2:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Ok due to other issues not as far on as i hoped but chrome plate i dipped yesterday has gone parts look so much better now, see how i get on tomorrow image.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I considered a real one of these a few years ago as a project bike to make as a Cafe racer. I was amazed by the prices they went for.
All these bike builds of late I will have to try one (again) some time...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I considered a real one of these a few years ago as a project bike to make as a Cafe racer. I was amazed by the prices they went for.
All these bike builds of late I will have to try one (again) some time...
Wouldn’t advise it Ian. The swing arm bearing design was absolutely rubbish. Vastly over complicated, wore very easily, and was expensive to replace……mine even broke the securing pin twice!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yamaha 250/350 LC is my guess ;) Absolute suicide machine. Mate of mine had one….you could ride the 250 on a learner license in those days.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Yamaha 250/350 LC is my guess ;) Absolute suicide machine. Mate of mine had one….you could ride the 250 on a learner license in those days.
I had a 250 & 400 rd 2 stroke rapid and new piston and rings every 1000 miles, broke a con rod once flat out on a long straight, it jammed under the exhaust port left a 100ft skid mark on the road as well
simon

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I left a 50 foot one when I switched to reserve on the SR at about 60 mph……...the engine didn’t restart, just locked the wheel…..