Aoshima Yamaha SR400

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yamaha 250/350 LC is my guess ;) Absolute suicide machine. Mate of mine had one….you could ride the 250 on a learner license in those days.
Winner winner. I had a 350. actually two. First a black one which was pretty standard. Still a hoot to ride though. Then at a later date a white one. Nearer to a 400 than the 350 it was ment to be... Nose cowl, belly pan. single seat. and straights. (could not get on with clip-ons). Also got hold of some spoked wheels just because I could... Stainless lines everywhere, Some toe-rag nicked the battery. took me three days befor I found out lol. I got pulled over by Mr Plod. I was not speeding. honest. He just thought he saw light under both wheels while exiting the hump back bridge. Asked me to turn the motor off. The lights went out.... Hmm no battery!.
Sorry Simon. Got all teary eyed for a moment...

The name Yamaha on the tank was replaced with the name Elsie.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I had no battery on my SR either……well….I had one, but it was knackered and I never bothered to replace it….the bike started fine without it so why spend beer money…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No electric leg on the big single, just technique……

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
No electric leg on the big single, just technique……
Yep i have the scar’s mental mostly:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
tickle it round to TDC, stand straight up straighten leg give it all you can, all being well putt putt putt mine had an indicator on the 500 xt once the gold indicator was in the window but easy to be 180‘ out practise made perfect you got a feel for it being in the right position and if your points were set you were off, if they were out, you were off to mainly over the bars or nursing your knee and thumb :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That must be incredibly loud……and be in danger of knee scorch for the rider :tongue-out3: . I had a straight through on mine and it used to occasionally scorch a pillion riders right foot on overrun……great way to solve the swing arm issue though:smiling5:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Perhaps if you ride it backwards it will burn off the offending grapes of wrath?

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Ok well calling this completed yippeeee quite a nice build and i enjoyed building the wheels plenty of room for improvement with them but more to follow
the instruction for the kit were all Japanese but pictures were in english.
only fails for me were the decals these just disintegrated when i tried to apply them so i have improvised all things considered happy with this one its in the cabinet.
A1BC1292-B1A2-47A8-870E-CBE0CF8C2C77.jpeg41C1D959-DBF6-4B36-8C11-49891B22B491.jpeg1FD406CE-6821-4253-8B24-7C90F6AACEC2.jpegCB0C527D-3D88-4055-82ED-8A4F5750FBF9.jpeg3515013E-E595-4E63-B377-B5C63BB48DF9.jpegE611CDB5-6769-4260-869F-162078F1C8D1.jpeg
Thanks for watching
need to press on with the Honda RC now
simon2FCFB2C6-595E-4071-BB54-F2B1F3B0BC75.jpeg8D7CDC3F-FCC6-4BFD-A5A5-EAD6F451B4BD.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent finish. The wheels really lift it. Quite diminutive when seem against the others in your cabinet isn’t it.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Excellent finish. The wheels really lift it. Quite diminutive when seem against the others in your cabinet isn’t it.
Thank you, wheels just make all the difference to be fair there not to hard to do dont think i would hesitate to do more preferably neater at least all the rough stuff is hidden under the tyres
simon

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you, wheels just make all the difference to be fair there not to hard to do dont think i would hesitate to do more preferably neater at least all the rough stuff is hidden under the tyres
simon
Just noticed the battery is missing…..very authentic LOL…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I remember them being pretty much rubber mounted and bouncing around all over the place . Never had much luck with bike indicators until I bought my first four cylinder bike.
I learned on a B120 Suzuki with “intermittent “ indicators. The night before my test they failed and I couldn’t get them working. I had to take them off and do my test with hand signals….still passed though :tongue-out3:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
I remember them being pretty much rubber mounted and bouncing around all over the place . Never had much luck with bike indicators until I bought my first four cylinder bike.
I learned on a B120 Suzuki with “intermittent “ indicators. The night before my test they failed and I couldn’t get them working. I had to take them off and do my test with hand signals….still passed though :tongue-out3:
Funny they never worked well mine were alway on - off -on-off :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::thinking: