B25 Construction 1/8 Scale

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I hope all works out well for you and you can get this one straightened up - Do you have a fuselage Jig to help you..?? I would certainly recommend one, I had never used one till I bought one and it is a very handy bit of kit. Especially for larger / longer models. It would certainly help out with yours.

It would be a shame to ditch this project as it is coming along so nicely so far. I definitely wouldn't ditch it just yet but would cut new parts from new wood - easy to do as you have the plans there and then continue as you left off. (I suspect the age of the wood in the kit may be the problem here)

Keep us updated and Good Luck !!

Regards.......Mark.
Hi guys,

Thanks for your concerning comments and good wishes. The good news is my first option has done the trick. I checked her this morning and removed the weights, she never budged. When i came home tonight i gave her another soaking just take out any further stress that thinks it might make a rematch. Looks ok now guys. Mark i think you are right about the age of the wood, subjecting it to a little stress and fresh air after all these years has had some effect. Once she is fibre glassed i will be happy because she cant move even if she wanted to. I must admit it was a bit of a kick in the nuts when i saw it like that. Could you PM me a picture of this jig you mentioned so i can see what im looking for Mark. Remember i am still a beginer at this and this is only my second full kit build. LOL.

Thanks again guys for your support.

Andy

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

I am glad you have managed to salvage this one, would be a shame to lose it now as it is looking very promising from the initial pics and will no doubt get better as it goes along if the P-47 is anything to go by !! :D

Have a look at the link below for the Fuselage Jig, They can be bought and are not expensive or you could just follow the instuctions on the link and build your own when you have time.

Great bit of kit to have !!

Northwest Houston Radio Control Club - Build A Fuselage Jig

If you a do a google search on Fuselage Jig you will get plenty of hits, they are all very similar in design.

Looking forwards to seeing the next installment of the B-25

Regards........Mark

S

Sky Raider

As the fuse is sitting there and is perfectly aligned, i have decided to leave it as it is until i pick up the fibre glass the weekend, then i will glass it and i can get on to the interior details. So i thought i would have a go at the wings. As i suspected absaloute ribbish instruction again and the drawind doesnt help at all. You cant see what way up the ribs are supposed to be from the drawing and the instructions tell you jack. Guess i will just have to plough along with my eyes closed and hope for the best.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 19421

View attachment 19422

View attachment 19423

Ribs.jpg

Ribs 2.jpg

Start of wing.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I am glad you have managed to salvage this one, would be a shame to lose it now as it is looking very promising from the initial pics and will no doubt get better as it goes along if the P-47 is anything to go by !! :D

Have a look at the link below for the Fuselage Jig, They can be bought and are not expensive or you could just follow the instuctions on the link and build your own when you have time.

Great bit of kit to have !!

Northwest Houston Radio Control Club - Build A Fuselage Jig

If you a do a google search on Fuselage Jig you will get plenty of hits, they are all very similar in design.

Looking forwards to seeing the next installment of the B-25

Regards........Mark
Thanks Mark, i will check this out.

Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi andy ,glad you got your problem sorted,you must have been gutted when you saw the bent fuselage,im sure loads of other people will be willing you to come through this little setback too.On a lighter note if it hadnt have straightened out you could have done it as an armstrong whitworth whitley,they looked like a banana in real life!!!! looking forward to the next installment cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
hi andy ,glad you got your problem sorted,you must have been gutted when you saw the bent fuselage,im sure loads of other people will be willing you to come through this little setback too.On a lighter note if it hadnt have straightened out you could have done it as an armstrong whitworth whitley,they looked like a banana in real life!!!! looking forward to the next installment cheers tony
Thanks for your kind words of support Tony. I will see this through to the end. I picked up the fibreglass and some resin today along with other bits such as servos and piano wire. Need to get in the loft tomorrow so i will hopefully have time later in the day to fibreglass the fuse.

Thanks again

Andy

S

Satnav313

Looks great Andy. I cant wait to see the interior work im sure it'll look great.

Good luck,

Tom

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Looks great Andy. I cant wait to see the interior work im sure it'll look great.Good luck,

Tom
Thanks Tom. I must say im not enjoying this build as much as i did the P47. Not only is there a lack of information, some of it is wrong. I found out when i was building the wing that the instruction were numberd up wrong and some of the ribs were in the wrong order. Also there is no location markings for the aeleron push rods and i have to try and drill them now whilst fixed in place, this will be tricky due to the gap restriction of the ribs. It shows nothing also of the correct centres for the wing dowls that fit into the fuse. If this isnt spot on we are in trouble. In general mate. This is a crap model, no womder the bloke who brought it 20 years ago left it in the box. I will be glad when it is finished.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Here we go gang with the next update. We have glassed the fuse, sanded it and applied a flow coat and then sanded it again. Its now time to work out how to do the steering link as the instructions tell you nothing. I decided that i was going to cut one of my famous hatches in the bottom of the fuse and make a mount for a servo, this then passes through the front wall to the steering mechanism. Once complete i can fit the lower gun compartment floor and get on to some real scale building... the interiors.

Andy

View attachment 19500

View attachment 19501

View attachment 19502

View attachment 19503

Making access for steering servo.jpg

Steering linkage.jpg

Steering servo linked.jpg

View of steering mech.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hubahuba Andy, loving it bud. Can't wait to see her in the air.

Take care, John

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hubahuba Andy, loving it bud. Can't wait to see her in the air. Take care, John
Thanks John, she will have to be in the que behind the thunderbolt.

Andy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Thanks John, she will have to be in the que behind the thunderbolt.Andy
Nice, bomber's needs their guardian angel. :knight:

John

S

Sky Raider

Hi gang,

Here wo go with the gunner/bomber compartment continuing build. As you can understand, this part of the build is tricky and every detail is a dimension guess. Not being able to obtain information regarding all the interior detail sizes is a problem and if it was possible you would need days to measure up all of the kit. Everything built here is an estimated guess, i recon i have the nack or it is just luck.

Hope you like. The seat cushions are made from car body filler and calved and sanded into shape.

Andy

View attachment 19517

View attachment 19518

View attachment 19519

View attachment 19520

View attachment 19521

View attachment 19522

View attachment 19523

Floor and rear bulkhead.jpg

Floor ribs.jpg

Side panels.jpg

Gunner compartment.jpg

Gunner compartment 2.jpg

Gunner compartment 3.jpg

Gunner comartment 4.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi andy, its coming on great, fantastic scratchbuilding skills ,that seat looks real comfy! keep it up mate cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
hi andy, its coming on great, fantastic scratchbuilding skills ,that seat looks real comfy! keep it up mate cheers tony
Thanks Tony. I have managed to download quite a few pictures on these compartments, not the ones i would like but they are enough for me to duplicate. I was supprised also to see such a comfy seat in a plane like this but i expect that if you were going on a bomber raid it could take quite some time to reach the target so a comfy seat would have been much needed lol

Andy

S

Satnav313

Looks great andy.

I love the seat. Its a great way to make it.

What are you making the guns out of?

Tom