Bandai 1/16 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost 1908 - "Balloon Car"

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking at the wheels Jim I think the 'blue air' was worth all the effort. They look amazing.
Nothing like a good blaspheme to sort things out!! ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have been watching from the wings but those wheels! They look bloody fantastic. Just a thought though. could a dot of CA not have been used to stop to thread runnibg back? Maybe you tried... What ever, to late now anyway lol

A most enjoyable build Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks once again for your continued support and sorry for my late response.
A fair bit of progress but its a slow build. The preparation of the parts and getting some sort of reasonable fit is time consuming.
I have finished the bonnet. Masked and sprayed black for the hinges and edgings.
P1070588.JPG

Then Vallejo Metal Color chrome and the masking removed. Then as the red was MRP paint which dries a bit matt the bonnet and the rest of the body was gloss coated with VMS gloss varnish.
P1070592.JPG

P1070589.JPG

The body has some mesh/wicker type inserts. They were sprayed black and then a buff colour.
P1070590.JPG

P1070591.JPG

Then the panels were sanded back to show the black. Looks OK from a distance. I may sand back a little more.
P1070593.JPG

The foot pedals were fitted to the floor.
P1070594.JPG

The leather seats were painted with Vallejo leather brown and then I used various oils to enhance the leather look. The door cards were just painted and given a quick oil wash.
P1070595.JPG

The bulkhead/dash board was built up.
P1070596.JPG

P1070597.JPG

Thanks for all your posts. I really do appreciate them.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Wow, amazing paintwork Jim,
This unusual beast is going to be a spectacular piece. :thumb2::cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil, Mark, Tim, Tony, John and Miko - many thanks for such supportive posts :thumb2:

As I said in the last update the front mudguard brackets did not fit so I scratched replacements. Looking at photos of the real thing the brackets appear to be riveted in place although there is no sign of any fastenings on the top side of the mudguard.
View attachment 501779

...... and painted
View attachment 501781
I fitted the exhaust.
View attachment 501780

Then I thought I'd tackle the wheels. I have found a few builds of this kit online and one said the wheels were impossible and so the model became a shelf queen and another decided to source after market wheels. A few managed OK. I reasoned that if I couldn't manage the wheels then there was little point in going on with the rest of the build.
The wheels use a jig. The spokes are black, nylon thread. There is a rim and a centre which is laced up using the jig.
View attachment 501786

There are two steps - 26 and 27. Both involve lacing. They are then fitted together.
View attachment 501784

View attachment 501785

The problem is that God didn't give me enough hands. I could have done with one or two extras. The thread is slippery and has to be kept taut, the jig has to be turned over and back multiple times and the wheel itself has to be turned in the jig. Anyway after many, many starts I have one wheel. Very, very effective. The two laced rims are glued together.
View attachment 501782

And .... drum roll.... I have one wheel.
View attachment 501783

Still need the chrome centre and the tyre but it's done. I have actually done the first lacing of a second wheel. Doing the wheels made me think of the late, great Simon T. He spoked wheels and we joked about him have trained spiders - good memories.

Thanks for your continued support.
Yes the spiders , I remember that postfrom Mr T well. Jim that wheel is a master piece of work , afraid too much for me , well done . The set of photos show your great painting skills as well. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A bit more progress. In fact it's beginning to look like a car :smiling:

Running boards and bulkhead fitted. The bonnet is not glued.
P1070599.JPG

P1070600.JPG

P1070601.JPG

P1070602.JPG

The floor and the bodywork have been joined together. Thank the Lord for CA and clamps :smiling:
Also the seat is in place although the armrests have still to go in. Put together and painted the folding rear seat, it's just dry fitted for now.
P1070603.JPG

P1070604.JPG

P1070605.JPG

Still a way to go but at the risk of jinxing it I think there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again for all your posts.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A bit more progress. In fact it's beginning to look like a car :smiling:

Running boards and bulkhead fitted. The bonnet is not glued.
View attachment 504367

View attachment 504368

View attachment 504369

View attachment 504370

The floor and the bodywork have been joined together. Thank the Lord for CA and clamps :smiling:
Also the seat is in place although the armrests have still to go in. Put together and painted the folding rear seat, it's just dry fitted for now.
View attachment 504371

View attachment 504372

View attachment 504373

Still a way to go but at the risk of jinxing it I think there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again for all your posts.
That is beautiful work - looking forward to the finished masterpiece!
Steve