Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian, nice job.
Do you know why the hull markings, chevrons etc, were painted. Was it to break up the grey or was it to appear to alter the shape of the vessel to observers. Always thought about it but never asked. (Until now).
Doug
I believe the primary objective was to make it harder to calculate speed, range and direction by u boats abs distant ships. Bismarck also had the smaller ship effect painted on its sides...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Har a bit of rain this morning so was stood down a few hours .

20240330_105003.jpg
Got the hull masking done and put some paint down. I might need to give it a second coat over the stripes.?
Cheers.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I believe the primary objective was to make it harder to calculate speed, range and direction by u boats abs distant ships. Bismarck also had the smaller ship effect painted on its sides...
Thank you Ian. That makes sense. Won't bore you but we used 'things' to confuse bad guys when in helo's to confuse the tactical picture.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then Yesterday was our traditional tour of the garden centers. A long standing wish from 'er indoors has been a high stemmed hanging willow and a Hanging Japanese Cherry. So we found the ones she wanted and got those as part of her Birthday presents.
Today it is persistently profusel precipitating (or pi55ing down for short).
Oh pity.
20240402_101416.jpg
So I got the bottom masked off...
20240402_111245.jpg
Got some Boot toppings down.
20240402_112243.jpg
And pulled the masking off...Found a few co---- errors the Starboard side the bow wave and the fake wake are a touch high where they meet the boot. Also a few bits of white showing where I missed the mark with the masking...the little bits I can touch up with a hairy stick. The bigger bits.... Mask, spray, remove and hopefully not repeat.
20240402_112309.jpg
Almost! Need to address a few bits. The Bow for example. I forgot that the Boot topping was only half as high at the bow and stern. I will need to sort that out.
20240402_112315.jpg
This is the better of the two sides. The bow wave and the false wake came out on target...

So; close but no cigar!

Cheers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hello again, still pouring down.
KMS Bismarck now has both a tidy pointy end and rear end. Think is about as good as I'm going for.

Comments are always welcome. Well polite ones lol.

Now there was something about a Hurricane GB..... Hmm20240402_144346.jpg20240402_144358.jpg20240402_144421.jpg20240402_144437.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Paul. This hull has been one thing after another. Short break while I build a Hurricane for a GB.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Great persistence Ian, your paint battles are giving me the colly wobbles, have the Bismarck in two 1/350 and the beast, oh ere misses.

Hope Carina had a great day

Looking very nice indeed

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So far so gooooooo

20240403_160701.jpg

20240403_160716.jpg
ooooooh Bollards.
So I peeled all the masking off and put the hull out of the way, while I was at it I placed the superstructures and the primary and Secondary guns to have a look.
I could have sworn that the chevron stripe in the middle was measured out, drawn and placed after all the best plans. Problem is it is to far forward.
It needs to start where the black bit ends. I measured. Twice. Then masked up the wrong side of the mark. sigh!

right place.jpg
Here is a quick photoshop job of where the stipes should be....the chevron farther aft and the last set of stripes more even in size.
So chaps Looks like I'm not done with the barst Bismarck hull.

Great persistence Ian, your paint battles are giving me the colly wobbles, have the Bismarck in two 1/350 and the beast, oh ere misses.

Hope Carina had a great day

Looking very nice indeed
Don't worry Bob take this build as the ultimate guide of how NOT to paint Bismarck! :smiling6:
Remember: I make these mistakes so you dont have to :tongue-out3: :tongue-out3: :tears-of-joy:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
So far so gooooooo

View attachment 505806

View attachment 505807
ooooooh Bollards.
So I peeled all the masking off and put the hull out of the way, while I was at it I placed the superstructures and the primary and Secondary guns to have a look.
I could have sworn that the chevron stripe in the middle was measured out, drawn and placed after all the best plans. Problem is it is to far forward.
It needs to start where the black bit ends. I measured. Twice. Then masked up the wrong side of the mark. sigh!

View attachment 505810
Here is a quick photoshop job of where the stipes should be....the chevron farther aft and the last set of stripes more even in size.
So chaps Looks like I'm not done with the barst Bismarck hull.

Don't worry Bob take this build as the ultimate guide of how NOT to paint Bismarck! :smiling6:
Remember: I make these mistakes so you dont have to :tongue-out3: :tongue-out3: :tears-of-joy:
Not having a lot of luck with this one Ian. It’s fixable, but the frustration must be building a bit.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Baldrick surely?????
More like blackadder surely? Baldrick had the cunning plans, but that was the sort of response Edmund gave to them…..
B “I have a cunning plan”.
E “more cunning than a fox who’s been promoted to professor of cunning at Oxford university?”……etc.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
More like blackadder surely? Baldrick had the cunning plans, but that was the sort of response Edmund gave to them…..
B “I have a cunning plan”.
E “more cunning than a fox who’s been promoted to professor of cunning at Oxford university?”……etc.
Ooooo, can’t remember, it’s been a long time since I watched any BA! Your probably right.