Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks gents.
All looking very nice Ian. I will be doing this in the future does it go together well ?
It goes together pretty good. I cant recall any issues. It was a while ago I stuck something on it. :flushed:
My only watch out for would be painting it. It is a ship that to paint with any resemblance of the real thing requires not only the year you wish to depict, as for many things, also the time on a certain day in the right month. Then there are all the contradictions from 'experts' Pick a day find out how it was painted. This tub have four and a half paintjobs in as many days!
The book I have is rather good and shows all the paint jobs and more details than you need to know.. Also very good rigging details.
Its the big red book you can see in some of the photos in the thread.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
TADA!
20240322_103128.jpg
Masking removed and the steeldecks repainted á la hairy-stick. A few small touch ups due to the shakes and I guess I can start to populate the two main superstructures.
According to my references, the Officers decks where Linoleum or the like. (Maybe hardwood grates so they did not get wet shoes... ) Pretty much the same colour.
Next big job is to sort the Hull out....

Cheers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Steve and Mick. it's looking better than it did. lol

has there ever been a floaty thing GB?
Sort of. There was the Battleship/destroyer GB I hosted way back in 2017. it ran the full year.

then there was Karls Carrier GB last year but that was for the Pacific war and only for carriers or aircraft that flew from a carrier.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Cheers Steve and Mick. it's looking better than it did. lol

Sort of. There was the Battleship/destroyer GB I hosted way back in 2017. it ran the full year.

then there was Karls Carrier GB last year but that was for the Pacific war and only for carriers or aircraft that flew from a carrier.
Cheers Ian, they’re just something I’ve not built since my teens when I built the Vosper MTB

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well today sort of went to pot. I was going to drive up to the hobby shop and spend way to much money... but I ended up staying home, and hid in the hobby room.
As can be seen by my earlier post.
So after a nice but simple lunch I started back on The Hull from Hell.
It got a quick rub down with a fine sanding sponge and wiped clean and dried. Going at it a bit different. I will do the greys, then the hulls bum then the boot top and last but not least them thar stripes. hopefully all the right way round.
So her is the hull after the KM02 has been thrown at it. Looks a bit blotchy have to see when its dried. If no second coat needed then I can do the bow and stern sections in KM06 I think it was.... The Underwater hull will get the cleverly named KM04 Bundfarbe III Rot 5.
Oh My Chair broke last week the stem had gone right through the legs/foot thing and was hitting the floor. It wasn't a catastrophic collapse, more a gentle sinking over time. The new one you can see Is a grown ups chair. rated to 150Kg and wider in the seat. Very comfy. The chair I sit on at the bench normally is an old office typists chair I have had for at least 30 years and was probably that old when I got it. Best chair ever! right now it is holding my table up as the hight fits perfect to the bench lol.
20240322_140833.jpg20240322_140852.jpg
So the colour looks better and it plenty big enough (I checked befor spraying).
Cheers.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lot of work there Ian!! Got any masking tape I can lend lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A lot of positive progress Ian. Glad the masking went ok. I hope the hull is all sorted now. That cat scratcher parts holder is something I'll look out for - love a bargain.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well. Bismarck has had a roll in the masking tape and is ready for a few splotches of white.
20240324_114144.jpg20240324_114238.jpg
If we are not doing much after lunch I might paint it, otherwise tomorrow.
I have left the 'bottoms' off the masking so I can fade the white onto the red of the hull avoiding the masking lip as the tape will be there for a while... Then the black parts of the stipes. Then the Red Bottom of the hull. THEN the Boot toppings... Yey More masking.
Cheers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Unfortunately no one noticed the slight cock-up, or just laughed and said "he'll figure it out"
Well the laugh is on you 'cause I didn't...Until today when I went in to paint the black parts of the hull stripes.

So the offending mistake is removed, repainted and will need masking tomorrow, again so I can paint it white Wednesday! Again!

Grr.

I took the opportunity to mask off the tops of the main and secondary guns.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For those that had no idea what the error was, it was the chevron on the port side was pointing to the bow and not the stern.

Right a couple of days playing silly burgers with masking tape:
20240327_144821.jpg
First the port side which was the side the mistook was on. the center section was rubbed down and resprayed grey. then masked off to spray the white. The the bits that had to stay white masked off, checked it five times this time, the the black got sprayed. I see a tiny touch up in the corner needed!
20240327_144846.jpg
And the t'other side.
20240327_144902.jpg
Here is the starboard side. Almost in full. lol.
Dont worry about the length of the stripy bits. Next I need to mask the whole top part off and paint the red bit or the hull. Once that is done, smoothed off a bit (if needed he added confidently). I can mask off for the boot topping.

But a pause in due. Its Easter, my dear wife turned 50 last week, her brother 40 a few days ago and younger sister will soon be 45. so one big family party. then the rest of the holiday will traditionally be garden work! weather permitting.

Hope you all approve of the repaint.
Cheers and Happy Easter to those that as into it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks very clean and crisp mate, are you continuing the theme to the superstructure?
LOL.
I had enough bother putting three stripes on the Hull. I doubt I would, or the kit, survive any attempt at the full pattern. I was thinking of one of the lesser covered schemes.
The Full Baltic one really needs to be done as the sections are built. not after they are stuck together. LOL
Having said that I'm mad enough to think it over and see if I can device a plan....

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Ian, nice job.
Do you know why the hull markings, chevrons etc, were painted. Was it to break up the grey or was it to appear to alter the shape of the vessel to observers. Always thought about it but never asked. (Until now).
Doug