boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL HI GUYS both HMS Tiger an HMS Norfolk are now all ready to be taken to the two day model show at lowmex just got to hope no one asks where the paddles are on the merlin choppers rottar blades are as had to take them all off as Nofolk hit the concreate wall an broke some off so now they are all off an i will take my trusty canon camera to take some piccies for you all an i will post them in the proper section but will be a few days as just after the model show on monday i have got to have covid an flu jabs an last time they made me i'll for days so pics may be a while in comin on
ATB ALL chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm with Doug on giving elec advice , but you are a tryer Chris. Can't see you ever being defeated . Most would have resigned themselves to having a failure, but not you .
WELL John Tiger isnt a failure as she sails great its just the crap eletronics i can only buy from china as on ebay thats the only place that they make them as nothing is now made in england is it ?
chrisb

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Chris, the fans on the ESC's may be sufficient to keep them cool (here's hoping).
You are a real trier mate, don't ever give up, you'll beat it yet.
Looking forward to the pics from the model show.
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, the fans on the ESC's may be sufficient to keep them cool (here's hoping).
You are a real trier mate, don't ever give up, you'll beat it yet.
Looking forward to the pics from the model show.
Garry
HI Garry well this is the 6th attempt at tryin to get these motors to run but i dont think i'll chance it regards them fans keepin the ESC cool as how much power is goin through to them big motors is qiute high an its only got to short out on a live wire an im in trouble so they will be comin out to be replaced how they should be TBH im not that happy with myself for fittin them in like this but really this was just a test to see if all the ESC 'S WOULD RUN TOGEATHER an yes they did so now just to get them all in right perstions then ive got to wait 6 months before i can try her
ATB Garry
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
HI Garry well this is the 6th attempt at tryin to get these motors to run but i dont think i'll chance it regards them fans keepin the ESC cool as how much power is goin through to them big motors is qiute high an its only got to short out on a live wire an im in trouble so they will be comin out to be replaced how they should be TBH im not that happy with myself for fittin them in like this but really this was just a test to see if all the ESC 'S WOULD RUN TOGEATHER an yes they did so now just to get them all in right perstions then ive got to wait 6 months before i can try her
ATB Garry
chrisb
Chris, forgive me if I'm all wrong. You're mentioning the fans and obviously cooling. With the Tigers deck in place, is air getting in below deck to allow the fans to take in cool air and at the same time vent the hot air coming from the ESC's? Seems to me, if things are getting hot then maybe it may be a circulation issue.
As I said, tell me to Foxtrot Oscar, but not knowing or seen in the flesh how it's all constructed, it's just an idea that popped up!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, forgive me if I'm all wrong. You're mentioning the fans and obviously cooling. With the Tigers deck in place, is air getting in below deck to allow the fans to take in cool air and at the same time vent the hot air coming from the ESC's? Seems to me, if things are getting hot then maybe it may be a circulation issue.
As I said, tell me to Foxtrot Oscar, but not knowing or seen in the flesh how it's all constructed, it's just an idea that popped up!!
HI Doug very good question that you have menchioned an yes cool air gets sucked below the decks by two 2 inch fans that are built in the the back funnel S/S an then there is a big 4 inch fan in side the hull that takes over to blow coolin air down over the motors an the motors also have fans built in an the back cutouots are also airvents as they have no tops on them so coolin it should not be an issue but im not happy with the layout an will change the ESC when i can hopefully next week an fans pics below just behind the rear funnel an im not goin to tell you to Foxtrot Oscar off lol as a very valid qeustion mateyIMG_5869.JPGIMG_5940.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
HI Doug very good question that you have menchioned an yes cool air gets sucked below the decks by two 2 inch fans that are built in the the back funnel S/S an then there is a big 4 inch fan in side the hull that takes over to blow coolin air down over the motors an the motors also have fans built in an the back cutouots are also airvents as they have no tops on them so coolin it should not be an issue but im not happy with the layout an will change the ESC when i can hopefully next week an fans pics below just behind the rear funnel an im not goin to tell you to Foxtrot Oscar off lol as a very valid qeustion mateyView attachment 494077View attachment 494078
Thank you kind sir for the reply. I thought you'd have it covered but worth a mention. :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thank you kind sir for the reply. I thought you'd have it covered but worth a mention. :thumb2:
HI Again Doug yes it was worth mentioning as when building a workin model like this coolin has really got to be taken into account so i do a lot of thinkin ahead an then build the model accordinly
CHEERS Doug for your very valid qeustion nice to see you taken an instrest in the model Sir
ATB
chrisb

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS well ive moved the big fuse box back an moved all them ESC so now there is not no live wires touchin the hot ESC's BTH i dont know if its better or worst as there are so many wires goin through a small space but the all work ok pic of new lay
out below BTH ITS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT TO THE LAST SET UP OH DEAR
chrisb
an here pic of the old wirein layout below for you guys to compare to the new wirein layout IMG_8600.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Hats off to you mate. Fingers crossed that this is the solution.
CHEERS Scottie lets hope so as this is the 6th attempt but now got a few things to sort out as the gun led packed up in model show an big back radar an smoke unit went west also but they had been runnin for 7 hrs so cant blame them so 3 things more to sort out tomorrow Aaaaccccchhhhhh
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I feel your pain Chris :anguished:
Steve
YES Steve only trouble with a workin model is how long will it keep workin as when in the show things on my ship ran great on the sat but come sunday my freind paul's radar on his sun tug packed up an then about half an hr later mine did very weird that but it was quite hot in the show so maybe due to exspanshion on the radar shaft inside the tube but will find out today as im gonna strip it down to find out the prob an squirt some WD40 in the tube AN SEE then if it will go ok an then sort out other probs an i dont think i will build any more big models as they are gonna kick petroll cars off the rd in a few yrs so wont be able to get to the pond then what a crappy outlook :angry::angry: an they are also talkin about doin away with the phone line an my p/c goes through the phone line so may also be kicked off the web as well OH DEAR :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris wouldn’t a light oil such as 3 in 1 be better to lube shafts, (radar), etc. than WD40? The WD means water displacing so it’s ok for short term but not a long term benefit.
HI Doug yes you are proberly right thats what i will do use some 3 in one or some thin grease in the tube an ive learnt something from you sir as i never gave it a thought about the WD in WD40 NOW I KNOW LOL THANKS
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was going to suggest a similar product. It's in a spray lije WD40 but it is for lubrication of cycle chains. Have some but can't get to it right now. Pouring with rain lol.
There is always good old grease

I saw that the UK was one of the few places not banning petrol cars. But stopping land line telecoms? Go mobil broadband mate. Or fiber cable.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Chris, they aren’t banning petrol and diesel cars, just stopping new ones being sold. Old ones will still be able to be used, and second hand ones will still be for sale. They will still be around for ten or fifteen years. Your copper phone line will be taken out of use, but then your home phone just plugs into the fibre optic that will replace it. We had that happen last year and the only difference is that the phone line is clearer and more reliable…..

PS, three in one can attack plastic, so go carefully mate….

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Chris, they aren’t banning petrol and diesel cars, just stopping new ones being sold. Old ones will still be able to be used, and second hand ones will still be for sale. They will still be around for ten or fifteen years. Your copper phone line will be taken out of use, but then your home phone just plugs into the fibre optic that will replace it. We had that happen last year and the only difference is that the phone line is clearer and more reliable…..

Only get the internet through my copper wire. Telephone has been of the VOIP variety for yonks. (Last two houses so that's gotta be some 12 years now). No difference noticed at all, even SWMBO thinks it's a standard BT phone and I really can't be bothered to start complicating her life telling her otherwise!!
WD40 has its down side too Tim, it dislikes rubber, will perish it earlier than it normally breaks down. End of the day, use the correct lubricant for the job in hand. EG, I use silicon grease for rubber, all my car seals are wiped with a cloth and silicone grease. Hinges - normal grease. Hot metals a lead based or copper grease depending on location!! Horses for courses I guess.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I was going to suggest a similar product. It's in a spray lije WD40 but it is for lubrication of cycle chains. Have some but can't get to it right now. Pouring with rain lol.
There is always good old grease

I saw that the UK was one of the few places not banning petrol cars. But stopping land line telecoms? Go mobil broadband mate. Or fiber cable.
HI Ian yes i'll proberly use a thin grease then

AN HI Tim well it was sayin on the web news this morn that all petrol an deasil cars will be banned off the rd by 2030 an hybrids are goin to be off the rds by 2035 so got me worried as mine is a petroll car but if as you say then i need not worry then an can maybe build another model ship then oh many thanks for that
chrisb