Boatmans 1/72 nd scale HMS Tiger C20

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WELL Doug yes the insides of the hull is white gloss paint over F/G mattin as when painted in white its easy to see if a wire has come adrift or any thing eles that not suppose to be in there like lose screw or such
an its also easy to spot if a crack appears in the hull as i build mine strong but it can happen an no the motors an eletrics are mounted up on half an inch of wood mounts hows that eh does that answer your qurstion s Doug ?
chrisb
Yup, you answered my queries thank you Chris. Just curious, as I had a job at Sunseekers watching huge Tupperware motor yachts being built. So trying to sort out the differences. Quite ingenious - paint first then layer after layer of F/G. Mind you some of the tolerances would never have stood muster in the aviation business!!!!

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
Hi Chris, although I haven't been a member for long and thus unable to follow the full build I can see by the finished ship the amount of hard and dedicated work put in to it, you should be proud mate :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris sorry to hear about the set back but if there is one person that can sort it that's you. Good luck with the repairs.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yup, you answered my queries thank you Chris. Just curious, as I had a job at Sunseekers watching huge Tupperware motor yachts being built. So trying to sort out the differences. Quite ingenious - paint first then layer after layer of F/G. Mind you some of the tolerances would never have stood muster in the aviation business!!!!
HI Doug im glad ive answered your questions ok as some on other forums dont i think as if a person asked a question i think its only polite to reply with an answer
ATB Chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, although I haven't been a member for long and thus unable to follow the full build I can see by the finished ship the amount of hard and dedicated work put in to it, you should be proud mate :smiling3:
Many thanks Bri an yes i am an i will be if i can get this eletric prob licked
Chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
HI Doug im glad ive answered your questions ok as some on other forums dont i think as if a person asked a question i think its only polite to reply with an answer
ATB Chrisb
I'm a firm believer in if I don't ask I'll never know and assumption as we know is the mother of all **** ups!!!
And I add to my knowledge of what you guys are up to!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Chris. As an aside and just for info. Not Tiger, but here's a helicopters perspective of the approach to a warship. If you look at the open hangar door. Go up and left 45 degrees you will see a small black blob!! That is the gizmo, (GPI - Glide Path Indicator), which gives the angle and height info to enable the pilot to safely get to the flight deck. All RN ships, inc Tiger, that operate helo's operate this system.
F15_2.jpg
Oh Chris, if you look very closely, you may see Hotel One flying from the mast, starboard side!!

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris sorry to hear about the set back but if there is one person that can sort it that's you. Good luck with the repairs.
YES Scottie hope you are right as ive got an idea brewin in my mind to put things right on the eletrics but will have to wait till nxt week before i can try it out an thank you for the good luck on the repairs but its now all repairded just now waiting fot the motor mount glue to go hard
then i can try it but slowly as the prop sharft turns easy enough
ATB
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris. As an aside and just for info. Not Tiger, but here's a helicopters perspective of the approach to a warship. If you look at the open hangar door. Go up and left 45 degrees you will see a small black blob!! That is the gizmo, (GPI - Glide Path Indicator), which gives the angle and height info to enable the pilot to safely get to the flight deck. All RN ships, inc Tiger, that operate helo's operate this system.
View attachment 479439
I'm a firm believer in if I don't ask I'll never know and assumption as we know is the mother of all **** ups!!!
And I add to my knowledge of what you guys are up to!!
YES Doug if you asume to much it will be what you have said LOL an this at the moment has happened to me as i assumed that diferent ESC would be ok but it wasnt an yes it was a big **** up an if that motor had hit me in the face i would have now been in A/E SO thats the reason im goin to strip out that other 30 amp eletronise ESC identical to the one in tiger already an two the same an i know they are good units as they work ok mind you the ESC in norfolk hasnt been powered up since last september so im hopein fot the best but not assumein lol an cheers for that chopper pilots veiw that great an yes tiger has a controll bubble for landin choppers on the flight deck an i have forgot to fit the window wipers i think it was Scottie who pointed this out so still abit to keep my ocuppied
ATB to you Sir
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
YES Doug if you asume to much it will be what you have said LOL an this at the moment has happened to me as i assumed that diferent ESC would be ok but it wasnt an yes it was a big **** up an if that motor had hit me in the face i would have now been in A/E SO thats the reason im goin to strip out that other 30 amp eletronise ESC identical to the one in tiger already an two the same an i know they are good units as they work ok mind you the ESC in norfolk hasnt been powered up since last september so im hopein fot the best but not assumein lol an cheers for that chopper pilots veiw that great an yes tiger has a controll bubble for landin choppers on the flight deck an i have forgot to fit the window wipers i think it was Scottie who pointed this out so still abit to keep my ocuppied
ATB to you Sir
chrisb
The control bubble is for FlyCo, to visually control the deck. (Not the flying). The Pilots will be following the GPI to a position left of the flight deck. The horizontal line on the deck is called the 'Bum Line'. The pilot endeavours to have his bum over the line when moving right over the deck to land. That's his visual reference for landing.
To give you an idea of what it can be like!! Watch this Lynx landing on a small Danish vessel!!! If you suffer from motion sickness - don't watch!!
It's only 2 minutes! Lynx Landing in stormy conditions

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The control bubble is for FlyCo, to visually control the deck. (Not the flying). The Pilots will be following the GPI to a position left of the flight deck. The horizontal line on the deck is called the 'Bum Line'. The pilot endeavours to have his bum over the line when moving right over the deck to land. That's his visual reference for landing.
To give you an idea of what it can be like!! Watch this Lynx landing on a small Dutch vessel!!! If you suffer from motion sickness - don't watch!!
Wow,that landing took some skill Doug. I watched the next video, showed a slightly easier landing .Still impressive stuff. Thanks for posting .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
To give you an idea of what it can be like!! Watch this Lynx landing on a small Dutch vessel!!! If you suffer from motion sickness - don't watch!!
WOW Doug would not want to be in them choppers tryin to land on that small dutch frigate wow they did well to land it an again wow when the yanks just pushed all them millions of dollars worth of choppers over the edge of that carrier what a waste BUT MANY THANKS for puttin on the vid
cheers
chrisb

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow,that landing took some skill Doug. I watched the next video, showed a slightly easier landing .Still impressive stuff. Thanks for posting .
that just what i thought John really skill full flyin WOW
CHRISB

Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Both the Lynx and the Wasp had one advantage only in they had what we called 'negative pitch'. That is when they eventually landed on deck they pushed the collective (That's the left lever looking flying control that makes it go up/down!!) lever down. What that did was 'push' the helicopter on the deck ensuring it stayed on deck. Even when listing quite severely!! The Lynx also has the addition of a harpoon style system to grab the deck. You can see it engage on the end of the video!
The Canadians use a system called 'Bear Trap' to drag themselves onto the deck.
I spent several tours on a Tribal Class which had one of the smallest flight decks in the RN. Landing was always exciting!!! A nice Mediterranean flat calm sea. Inside the Artic circle was another kettle of fish!!!!

HMS Ashanti pre 1982. (White numerals)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7aad.jpg

As was putting it to bed!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7ab0.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WOW Doug would not want to be in them choppers tryin to land on that small dutch frigate wow they did well to land it an again wow when the yanks just pushed all them millions of dollars worth of choppers over the edge of that carrier what a waste BUT MANY THANKS for puttin on the vid
cheers
chrisb
Hi Chris, the US pushed their choppers over the side to make room for the ships own aircraft and the increase in people on the warship I believe.
Of course I'm assuming your referring to the withdrawal from Viet Nam?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
COR Thanks Doug on the chopper info great stuff an yes loved the vid
chrisb

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm surprised to find that I haven't commented on this thread Chris, but as all have said already, what a towering achievement this is and I hope you're totally proud of yourself?
Your commitment and determination, never mind your skill, are off the chart!
Hats off to you sir!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm surprised to find that I haven't commented on this thread Chris, but as all have said already, what a towering achievement this is and I hope you're totally proud of yourself?
Your commitment and determination, never mind your skill, are off the chart!
Hats off to you sir!
HI Neil no worryies but many thanks for you very kind comments on my TIGER build an on me BUT i will be happy with TIGER when i get this eletric problem sorted as over two yrs of the build since i have fitted in the ESC an motors ive had probs on an off sometimes they went good an just when i thought id licked the probs back they came again an i must have treid this 20 different ways usein up to 5 ESC an yes they go ok for a while an me thinkin yes thats done only for the problem to come back as i cant understand it as in 30 odd yrs of building R/C ships ive never had this prob before Aaaaaccchhhhh but i will solve it sooner or later with the clap lol
ATB to you
chrisb