Brand new to the scale model world!

L

louish118

Hello everyone, I'll start off by saying that I have not yet acquired a model yet. I'm particularly interested in Tanks from the second world war and so have been trawling through the internet over the past few weeks.

Firstly, what is the best scale to start on? I've been looking at 1/76, mainly Airfix for their Cromwells, Shermans, Tigers and Panthers. But I may eventually want backgrounds to go with them and so are features such as buildings and plantation etc easy enough to find in the same scale?

Secondly, I have no experience painting models. Can anyone come up with a simple idiot-proof guide for me?

I'm guessing it's best to paint as you put the parts together?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I am going to try my local shopping centre for Airfix tomorrow!

Thanks,

Louis.

Louis.

L

Laurie

Louis welcome to this forum you have chosen well as it caters for every one.

Not a tank man but some one here will help.

Best thing is to look down the forum and you will find the build section. have a look at those who have shown photos as they go along in the build.

Laurie

First Name
Richard
Hi Louis and welcome to the best forum out there.

Ok, so your into WWII Tanks, I am not really familiar with Airfix models, but i do know they have some good starter sets.

View attachment 95253

After buying something like that, you will need a good hobby knife, and now the realistic part, is to see how much fun it is for you to build.

I am more in 1/35 because of the aftermarket parts and the details on the Models but that is a personal thing.

Painting in 1/76 I would do after the build is complete at least with the tanks.

Hope this helps a little.

Ps always feel free to ask there are allot of talented people over here.

Cheers Richi

Cheers Richi

airfix-pzkw-vi-ausf.b-king-tiger-starter-set.jpg

L

louish118

Thanks Richi, I was looking at this model, if it's in stock I'll pick it up tomorrow

Louis.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Here is a couple of braille-scale tanks that I did. May help you in what you can do.

First off is a 1/72 Italeri Tiger, this was done for a 3 hour challenge. Nice and simple with just a basic paint covering and brushed 'in-field' camo pattern.

Below is a Airfix 1/76, really tiny, this is painted in field grey with pigments and a black oil wash. Also shows it on a small board with grass and some foliage.

Best thing to do is just get on as Richi points out and have a go.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

steve scan

Hi Louis, welcome to the black hole that is scale modelling, don't be afraid to ask, experiment and learn from but have a laugh at your mistakes, there are armour kits of all levels of complexity out there, my personal favourite scale is 1/35th. but there are 1/72nd. kits out there that are superb don't get into the scale = complexity thinking. tanks for me are usually pretty complete before I start painting though sometimes due to the tracks and/or if side skirts are fitted then the wheels and lower hull are painted before the rest of the build, just study the instructions and it is normally clear if anything will be hard to get at later in the build, as you gain experience you will develop your own method. enjoy.

D

Doug Hughes

Hi Louis, and welcome. When I was younger, 1/72 (or 1/76) was all there was, but now people refer to it as 'braille scale' because it's so small compared to the bigger and more expensive stuff you can get. I still do exclusively 1/72, as do many others, and it's certainly a great starting point. There are lots of kits and figures - useful if you get into dioramas. I'm sure buildings etc. are also available as a lot of model railways are in a similar scale.

As for painting, I reckon the principle is to paint up front anything you won't be able to get at later. With tanks this usually just means the area around the wheels and tracks. The Humbrol enamels have been around for decades, have a good range of colours, and are really easy to apply with a brush. I still use them a lot. Be a bit careful with the acrylics that come with the starter packs, as they can be a bit tricky - you may want to try them on some other plastic object to make sure they're not too thick/thin. Two thin coats are generally better than one thick one.

Hang around on these forums and you'll pick up all kinds of useful tips - I certainly have.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hello and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net I'm afraid I can't help much with the tanks as I'm a beginner there too but as has been said don't get mistaken and think bigger is easier as bigger generally means more detailed. There are snap together kits, also pre painted kits, which are very good and may help ease you in, but as has been said just jumping in is fine main thing is don't worry there WILL always be someone on here who can help with any problems, oh and most importantly HAVE FUN.

D

Deleted member 4203

Welcome to the forum ;) , I don't make many tanks really, I tend to build models after the parts are painted, but if everybody is saying that you should do it the other way, I think that would be best, 1/76 is good because it is nice and small if you choose to get 1/32 or 1/35 or whatever, they are bigger, making it easier for you but there will be larger parts :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
The m4 sherman in airfix 176 is a great little kit and so is airfix 1/76 panzer IV both these kits are great for the beginner ,

Also if you want something a bit bigger have a look at some of the tamiya

Here's two that are very simple kits ive made that don't cost the earth and View attachment 95291

View attachment 95293

On painting I'd start off with brush painting and use acrylic humbrol and revell paints to start with as these can be thinned with water but just be careful you don't too much water to it

I hope this has been of use to you :smiling3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

If you're definitely going with 1/72 or 1/76 armour Louis, please don't waste your money on Airfix stuff!

The best kit maker atm is Revell for small-scale armour. I'd recommend their Panzer III & IV kits, including the Nashorn, their Tiger I & II are very good too.

Dragon make some very good 1/72 stuff, although they're expensive.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi and welcome to the forum Louis. I think all I could tell you about armour as already been said.

Looking forward to seeing what ever you choose being built

L

louish118

I've ordered a couple Airfix starter sets on a 1/76 scale just so I can get into the swing of things. And then I will look into the large and better quality models. Thanks everyone.

Louis.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
welcome

i sort of agree with patrick............some of the older airfix kits are complete tosh and a waste of money.....some of the newer ones are pretty good...thing is, being new to the hobby you will not know the difference til its too late

cant go wrong with revell or italerai....loads of other good manufacturers out there

whereabouts in the country are you?..........look for a branch of hobby craft as they normally have a good selection..........if you have a branch of Boyes near you they are some times worth a try...........failing that theres good old ebay

and if you want to know about painting/construction then try looking at other peoples build up threads on here

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
I've ordered a couple Airfix starter sets on a 1/76 scale just so I can get into the swing of things. And then I will look into the large and better quality models. Thanks everyone.Louis.
Welcome to the forum bro...good idea to get smaller scale to start with...just remember that a little glue goes a long way and have fun. Smaller scale doesn't always mean less quality. Some 1/72 dragon kits are dynamite. Some older larger scale kits are not so hot.

N

noble

Hi Louis iam a builder of tanks and armoured cars, so first thing we have to look at is which scale would you like to start with 1/76 1/48 0r 1/35 this is my preference have a look at the gallery sites for this, if you go with 1/76 then Airfix do a great starters collection although it is pretty limited and you would be working in small scale. 1/48 and 1/35 the parts are bigger and easier to handle and if you go for a Tamiya kit then you get good quality with no real fit issues, spanner or Ron and Alan also work in 1/35 and do excellent work but to name a couple. The easiest thing I can suggest build wise Is this, build the the tank but leave off any bits like fire extinguishers baggage tools etc and paint these on the sprues, prime and paint the entire tank in it's colour scheme, then attach all the little bits mentioned before. Once painted apply your decals and seal them in and then weather. There is no such thing as an idiot proof guide as we all work in different ways according to our own skill and comfort levels, don't ever be worried about making mistakes we all still do it but we all try to learn from it. Don't be afraid to ask for help, advice or any questions that come to mind, just remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, and above all relax and have many hours of fun and experimentation........ Oh and welcome to the friendliest forum anywhere.

scott

L

louish118

Quick question guys, if i was to buy a model kit without paints, how will i look up the correct or most accurate colours to use, or is it a case of just picking one that best suits the particular camo?

Louis.