Classic Airframes 1/48 Avro Anson

First Name
Dave
This is my next project.It contains a lot of resin parts.Something I don't have much experience with.I haven't bothered with sprue shots as they look much like most other kits.

The kit also contains a nice little PE fret.The instrument panel consists of a piece of film that you stick to a plastic panel .Then the etched panel is stuck over the top.The instruments on the film are not very visible. So I put some decals from an after market instrument decal sheet over the top of them.

Then I added the resin throttle stand and PE levers.I found working with such tiny parts quite challenging.But they should look ok through the canopy.

Next I glued some of the resin parts to the cockpit floor.Not as easy as it sounds.Although I washed the resin parts in detergent before I started the build,I still had a lot of trouble sticking them together.I used Rocket CA to fix the framework to the radio operators table and it bonded instantly.But it wouldn't glue this assembly to the cockpit!. neither would Loctite CA .I ended up using two part epoxy. I saw some amazing builds at Telford.Some really amazing fine detail.God knows how they do it. I'm still a million miles away from that standard.

ŵ

T

treyzx10r

Dave nice to see a subject not often done! I've eyeballed classic airframe kits on evil bay and they get quite pricey so anxious to see how this builds out. Looking great so far !

First Name
Dave
The interior is slowly coming together.Im having 'fun' glueing all the little resin parts to the cockpit.Some of the lessons I've learned are -: 1.Use superglue vary sparingly.

2. Don't use superglue straight from the tube unless you want to drown the part in the stuff!

3.Make sure the part you are glueing the resin bits to is properly supported so it can't dance around the work bench as you try to attach the small parts!.

My detail painting isn't brilliant.But it should look ok through the canopy.Not happy with the colour I painted the seat belts.So I may go over them again.I glued them to the seats with tiny specs of Crystal Clear.Worked a lot better than when I try to do it with superglue.There are no locating pins on the fuselage and wing halves on this kit.So care has to be taken when joining these parts.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It looks very good so far.

What's wrong with the belts? too dark? I'm sure you can fix that.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop. The Anson was a very successful and important aeroplane. The glamour always goes to the fighters and iconic bombers but without aircraft like the Anson we would have been well and truly stuffed.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

What a great subject, a classic aircraft. I am sure I remember doing an Airfix one as a kid and loved the look of it. Then again I may be confusing it with something else but I don't think so. Great subject, tricky looking kit, one to watch me thinks.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice looking Anson, never built one, even when I was young, It was all fighters and bombers in those days. But your build makes me want to do one now.

I'll follow your build with interest.

Tony.

First Name
Dave
I Got this kit from Hannants for £25. Just checked their site and they've still got 10 left priced at £24.98p.Bargain.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
I Got this kit from Hannants for £25. Just checked their site and they've still got 10 left priced at £24.98p.Bargain.
Oh so tempted !!!! Must resist spent a fortune in past few weeks on kits

Adrian

B

Boldman

Superb, just picked one up myself - it will form part of my project to build all the aircraft my Dad worked on during WWII as he was stationed at RAF Detling at the same time as 280 Sqn which were equipped with Avro Ansons :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Go on Adrian,you know you want to!.Alternatively,ask a kind relative to get you one for Christmas.

First Name
Dave
I've built the resin frame work of the cockpit without too much trouble.Used Loctite superglue to stick it together.Next I will dry fir the other fuselage half ad canopy to make sure everything fits.

First Name
Dave
The fuselage halves are tricky to line up on my kit.So I added some tabs from plastic card.Then I test fitted the halves together and found they still didn't line up along part of the bottom edge.I found this was due to the fuselage halves varying in thickness in different places.So I cut some of the tabs off.Also the cockpit rear bulkhead needed trimming so the fuselage halves would meet at the top.I would advise anyone building this kit to test fit everything before comiting to glueing.

I finally glued the fuselage halves together.Then found they wouldn't meet at the top!.Even though they did during a previous test fit.So it was out with the plastic card and clamp.Will leave it over night before I take the clamp off.

First Name
Dave
Spent an hour on the build in the shed tonight before it got too cold to do any more.The join along the bottom of the fuselage needs some filler.In hindsight I should have glued the bottom join,let it set and then glued the top join.

So it was out with the filler.I bought some new products (for me) at the Telford show.So decided to try them out.I Used Mr surfacer on the upper fuselage and Vallejo on the lower.

I manage to get some assemblies glued before it got to cold to carry on.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Would never have thought of using a metal G-clamp on a model, was it as scary as it looked, I'd be too afraid of damaging the surface detail.

Tony.

First Name
Dave
Got the tail planes,wings,cowlings and wheels glued together.None of these parts have locating pins,so a bit of care is needed to get them lined up correctly.

I've noticed a problem I'm going to have when it comes to fitting the undercarriage.Earlier in the build I fitted the wheel well parts . These consisted of a roof for the wheel well and a bulk head.The instructions are pretty vague as to the location of these parts. I've fitted them where I think they should go.

As a result, the angle of the undercarriage locating points on the bulkhead mean the legs will be splayed outwards and not hang vertically.So I will have to adjust the legs so the model will sit correctly.Ive also noticed the legs are wider than the opening in the undercarriage bays. So the openings will need to be made wider.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Would never have thought of using a metal G-clamp on a model, was it as scary as it looked, I'd be too afraid of damaging the surface detail.Tony.
It's a lightweight aluminium clamp which i use with great care. I only do it up just enough to hold parts together.Its not ideal,but it does the job without causing damage.

B

Boldman

My kit arrived from Hannants yesterday (yes, you read that correctly - post delivery on a SUNDAY!!) Looks like a very interesting and challenging kit with the resin etc. Will be eagerly looking forward to watching your continued progress!