Classic Airframes 1/48 Avro Anson

First Name
Dave
Yes they are good.Ive spent many hours with rolls of Tamiya masking tape and a scalpel masking canopies.This product makes the job so much easier.Well worth £5.80 for a set.I will definately buy them again when I get round to doing my Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster and Italeri Avenger.Both kits have a lot of glazing to mask.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's looking good now.

I agree about the masks. Anything more than a simple fighter canopy and they are worth it. I bought the set for my Lancaster too and to say it was money well spent would be an understatement!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
I've started to paint the Anson.Primer coat is on and then the aluminium colour on the underside.

I sprayed the Vallejo Aluminium last night.But it's still not dry enough to mask 24 hours later.This time of year it's too cold and damp in the shed for it to dry properly.Thats the only problem I find with these acrylics.So I've put the model in the bedroom to dry properly.So tonight I've just masked the gun turret.

I should have used enamels really.But I've got his big bottle of Vallejo primer I wanted to try out.This builds dragging a bit now.I need to crack on and get it finished.Im worried about messing it up again though.

First Name
Michael
Looking great Dave, I've one of these waiting so I'm watching your progress closely. Saw one in the air last year. Don't get impatient this great work your nearly there. M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Dave the metallics do tend to take a long time to cure so leave it as long as you can before masking. When I sprayed the Wildcat I sprayed the aluminium last then you avoid having to mask directly over the aluminium. Looking good by the way.

Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
I thought about doing the aluminium last but thought it would make the masking more difficult.i will spray a gloss clear coat over it which will hopefully make it harder to peel off.We shall see!.

T

treyzx10r

Nice looking NMF Dave. The one good thing about painting in the cold is it does tend to flow or 'level ' better .

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just got caught up with this and you've done a great job so far. This is going to be something to be proud of when it's done.

Tony.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking like a good old annie now dave, keep at it mate ,its going to come together all of a sudden. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
.This time of year it's too cold and damp in the shed for it to dry properly.Thats the only problem I find with these acrylics.So I've put the model in the bedroom to dry properly.
It's a bit nippy in my extension overnight.

This is the sophisticated Halfords Plastic Primer curing system I'm utilising to ensure that I can press on with my Natter tomorrow.

I'm not sure that I'll convince SWMBO to leave the heating on overnight :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Neat idea Steve.Mind you,if you get it too close to the radiator you will end up with a swept wing Natter!.Thanks Ole and Tony.I seem to be going through a bad patch with my modelling at the moment.Just spent half an hour turning my shed upside down looking for one of the props!.Eventually found it in the corner fold of the kit box lid.Then I decided to spray Vallejo gloss clear over the now dry aluminium.The idea was to make it less likely to come off when masked.And also to give a smooth surface for the under wing decals.For some reason I ended up with white blobs all over the underside!.So I set to with a cloth and some IPA and cleaned it off.This of course removed most of the aluminium and a bit of the primer.This build is fighting me all the way.But the problems are almost all of my own making.Occasionally things I normally have no problem doing with my modelling just seem to go wrong.I will finish it though. It won't beat me!.

T

treyzx10r

I know the feeling Dave the NMF on the P-47 fought me the whole way,keep at it I know it wo'nt beat you!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's a real shame Dave the aluminium was looking really good. I had a similar experience with my Wildcat I thought I was being clever when I put a coat of klear on it, it made the finish go a little dull plus when I masked it it just pulled the paint off. So that's when I decided to put the colour down first. I hope you manage to sort things out.

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
Thanks Vaughan.im going to spray the upper surfaces first starting with Dark Earth this evening.The Vallejo clear varnish doesn't seem to like going on the Aluminium.So I will do the underside last and without any clear varnish coats.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bummer about the aluminium dave, its a thorny issue for sure. People swear by alclad for NMF 's but I personally couldnt get the hang of it, and now just use aerosols , sometimes decanted and airbrushed ,sometimes just blasted on straight from the can. A drawback of this is the fragility of the silver finish , masking is very tricky if not impossible. Im sure its going to be a corker though dave , keep at it mate, cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Thanks Tony.Well something finally went right tonight!.Got the first coat of dark earth on without any dramas.No runs,no blobs and no blocked airbrush.

I didn't want to put too much paint on as the temperatures dropped.So it's even colder in the shed which means the Vallejo acrylic will take even longer to dry.Ive put my spot lamp close to it to help it dry.Not too close though!.Its a problem spraying when its this cold.Ive got a fan heater.It heats the shed up.But at the same time ensures dust and hairs etc get stuck in the paint!.The name of the game now is patience.Going to take my time to get the paint job right.

First Name
Dave
Got two more coats of Vallejo dark earth equivalent on the model over the last two days.Im really pleased with the finish.Somethings going right at last!.Because its cold in the shed ive had to bring the model into the house and leave it in the spare bedroom to dry.I put the third coat on this morning.Then an hour later my wife came running into the kitchen,Anson in hand making aeroplane noises!.Luckily the paint was touch dry.Oh how I laughed,not!.Anyone know if your sent down for murder are you allowed to make models in prison?.Going to leave it until tomorrow before I mask the camouflage.

T

treyzx10r

Dave glad to see you're having better luck with the finish and no I do'nt think they let you build models in the big house;) better give the Missus a mulligan on this one!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Dave, those coats you've sprayed have covered well.

Vaughan