Classic Airframes 1/48 Avro Anson

First Name
Dave
Just spent an hour and a half on the build.Most of that time was spent getting the rear section of the canopy to fit to the fuselage.I had to cut the resin framework at the front horizontal brace,remove a couple of mm and glue it back together to help the canopy fit.I then tried attaching the canopy with plastic cement,but it wouldn't work.So I cleaned the joints and tried superglue.But that wouldn't hold it either.I eventually got it to stick to the model with Micro Krystal Klear.All very nerve racking as messing up the canopy would wreck the whole model.Finally I stuck the engine cowlings on and decided to call it a night.

T

treyzx10r

Nothing more nerve wracking than trying to fix an ill fitting canopy,looks like you've got it well in hand Dave!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like a tricky stage of the build dave , but youve sorted it , its looking great , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Thanks Tony.This is quite a difficult build.Will do some more work on it this evening.Going to work,then need to do a bit more christmas shopping first though.Im having to fit the canopies now because all the constant handling is risking damage to the delicate cockpit framework.I would usually get all the filling and sanding done first before fitting clear parts.

First Name
Adrian
Your doing an awesome job, I'm glad you posted so much detail about the build as I went and bought one, though looking at the issues I may leave it a year or two till I get my skills up to your lvl :smiling3:

Adrian

First Name
Dave
Thanks Ade.Though I don't consider myself very skilful.Not compared with a lot of the lads on here anyway.I seem to be going through a phase of dropping and/or breaking things lately.Dont know if its age or what?.cracked the screen on my iPhone twice,broke the Hurricane canopy and now I've broken the Ansons front canopy!.Its made of very thin and brittle plastic.It snapped in half right down the middle of the screen.Ive glued it together and stuck it on the model.I will have to polish it gently and hope the line that's left is on a frame.Some chance!.Anyway,I've come this far so will just have to finish it and hope it doesn't look too bad.

First Name
Dave
Well here's the canopy I managed to break.I glued both halves together and then to the model.Polished it then noticed something on inside of canopy.So I decided to remove it.Managed to do it without breaking it again.Have started to polish the inside.I was gutted when I broke it.But I'm determined to finish the build.Cant find a vacform replacement so will have to use the damaged one.A word of warning to anyone building this kit.The canopies are very thin and very,very brittle.You have been warned.Dont cock it up like me!.Ive been thinking of doing a diorama for some time.Got an idea to have the Anson parked up with the pilot and a fitter examining the windscreen after a bird strike.Need to find some figures though.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's an interesting idea Dave, some groundies with a pilot pointing at the damage with the crack smeared with a bit of blood and some feathers would be a very interesting scene. A shame the canopy broke, but the kit is coming along nicely.

First Name
Dave
Thanks Joe.ive left it alone for a few days to have a think about what I'm going to do.One idea I have is to cut out and replace the damaged panes.Checked my spares box and don't really have anything suitable.Still deciding what to do.Am drinking lots of beer at the company Xmas pArty at the moment.So will have another look at the model tomorrow!.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A huge amount of effort going into this one. Great job.

First Name
Dave
Home made front canopy fitted and faired in with my trusty Squadron green putty.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Dave. Great recovery on the canopy.

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
Thanks Vaughan.Nosecone and engines now fitted.The kit provides injection moulded and resin engines.I chose the resin ones because they are slightly better.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice recovery dave , looks every bit as good as the original , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
I got the canopy masks through the post from Hannants today along with a rigging set for my Tamiya Swordfish.Wasnt expecting these to turn up this year.Pretty good service.

I've painted the engines and fitted one of the cowlings.Not much detail on the engines.i thought about adding some pushrods,but not much can be seen when the cowlings fitted.A few tiny resin parts are included in the kit to go on the crankcases .But a couple pinged out of my tweezers across the shed!.So these haven't been fitted.

First Name
Dave
I'm having to solve a few small problems with this kit.The engine cowlings when cut from the casting block look like they need opening up.

I've read two reviews of this kit on the net.One by IPMS opens up the hole in the cowling after cutting off the casting block.But Brett Greens review cuts the block off and doesn't open the hole up.The kit instructions don't say anything.Ive gone with Brett's because it looks right to me.Also the opening for the undercarriage leg is too narrow.

So I've opened them up a bit.Ive painted the wheels and gear but the next job is to mask all the windows.Then I can start painting the model.

First Name
Dave
A bit more progress tonight.I used the Eduard mask set to mask off all the windows.My home made canopy was a bit tricky as I had no frames to guide me.This is the first time I've used canopy masks and I think it's a great idea.Only took me 3/4 hr to mask the model.From past experience it would have taken at least 2 hrs using Tamiya tape.I will definitely be using them again.I then sprayed Humbrol 78 over the canopies to represent the green interior framework.Tomorrow I will spray some primer on the model.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Love those masks Dave. I've bought some for my Fiesler Storch and I can see it definitely makes life easier.

Vaughan