Classic Airframes 1/48 Avro Anson

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave glad to see you're having better luck with the finish and no I do'nt think they let you build models in the big house;) better give the Missus a mulligan on this one!
I had to Google 'Mulligan' Trey. Got lost in translation somewhere across the Atlantic.!Apparently it means 'To give someone a second chance'.No problem there as I love her to bits,even though she refers to my hobby as 'those stupid models'!.

T

treyzx10r

Yes second chance,and I think our Wives are pre-wired to hate our hobbies but we love them all the same right;)

First Name
Dave
I've been painting the upper surface camouflage over the last few days.Too cold in the shed so I sat in front of the telly masking it off with white tack and Tamiya tape.My wife said "What on earth are you doing?.Does it say to do that in the instructions?".I said "No".She then said "Why are you doing it then?!".Women,don't you just love em?!.The paints I used are Vallejo model Air 71030 for the Dark Earth and 71012 for the Dark Green.Probably not Totally accurate,but pretty close I reckon.Ive got a 0.5mm nozzle in my Iwata and I always get a nice finish with this brand of paint .Only problem as Ive said before is they won't dry in my freezing cold shed.So I have to spray a coat and bring the model in the house to let it dry.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's coming together now Dave looking forward to the finished model, just the aluminium to go down. Good luck with that, lets hope the weather improves

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
Thanks Ole.The Aluminium won't be a problem. This time though,I won't spray any clear varnish over it.

First Name
Dave
Got the undersides sprayed aluminium.Then I applied the decals.The ones supplied with the kit are by Microscale and they are superb.Very thin but strong and with minimal carrier film.I used microset because i was worried about silvering,but they didn't really need it.Problem with the Microset is it took some of the Vallejo aluminium paint off!.So I didn't use it on the under wing rounders.Next I'm going to fit the aerials and undercarriage,try a wash and them apply a matt clear coat to the upper surfaces.A bit of touching up to do around the engine nacelles first though.

First Name
Dave
Just spent an hour fitting the undercarriage.There are no positive locating points for it.So I drilled the legs and the bay bulkhead.Glued some bits of wire in and put it all together.Very tricky,but I managed to keep from getting superglue every where.Im not really enjoying this part of the build.There are several resin parts to add and it's so easy to make a mess of it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
AH , the joys of modelling! Great fix on the U/C dave, its about par for the course on these type of limited release mouldings. On the issue of washes for the detail. personally i would just highlight the control surfaces and let the raised detail stand on its own ,with mayne a bit of muckying up round the exhausts /wheels , but thats just me , keep at it matey its looking very nice , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Think I will go with your suggestion for the weathering Tony.Dont want to wreck it at his late stage.Just want it finished now.Mnd you,There's always the final matt coat to go wrong!.

First Name
Dave
Just putting the finishing touches to the model.The framework for the gun mounting inside the turret is made up from three parts.Didnt trust myself with the superglue so close to the transparency.So I glued everything in with Microscale crystal clear.Then I attached the gun with the smallest speck of superglue.