View attachment 101816

View attachment 101817

View attachment 101818

View attachment 101819

View attachment 101820

View attachment 101821

View attachment 101822

View attachment 101823

This is my entry for the four engined aircraft build.Its the old Monogram kit reboxed by Revell.I built the B24J variant around 20 years ago.I remember the only problem was the turrets are moulded in two clear halves split vertically.So there's a seam you can't hide or get rid of.On this 'D' variant only the tail turret is moulded this way.So I may have a go at crash moulding a replacement.Ive got an Eduard cockpit set and some 'Quick Boost ' resin engines for it.And I will get a set of masks to make painting easier.Will probably make a start tomorrow.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

I like this Dave! I have the old airfix one that I bought on eBay for a fiver, but its warped really badly :smiling3:

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

T

treyzx10r

Looking forward to this build Dave. I think Squadron makes some 1 piece replacemant clear parts for the turrets .

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looking forward to this build Dave. I think Squadron makes some 1 piece replacemant clear parts for the turrets .
I never thought of vacform replacements.I will look into that Trey.

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
I never thought of vacform replacements.I will look into that Trey.
They were a life saver on my b-17 build,except the ball turret ,the vac form on that was actually too thin and in 2 parts so could'nt get a good bond.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice Dave, will watch with interest. A quick check shows Squadron don't do a vacuform tail turret, just the main and nose canopies for the B-24D in 1/48 (SQS9588).

Apparently there is a 'Koster conversion' set for the B-24D in 1/48 from a William Koster in the US. I wouldn't know how to get in touch with him though.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice choice Dave, will watch with interest. A quick check shows Squadron don't do a vacuform tail turret, just the main and nose canopies for the B-24D in 1/48 (SQS9588).
Apparently there is a 'Koster conversion' set for the B-24D in 1/48 from a William Koster in the US. I wouldn't know how to get in touch with him though.
Thanks Joe.'Falcon' do a set which might do the job.Failing that I will make one.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice pick Dave will be dropping in on this one, ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
no and you know i should real go and have alook it not that far away or the bridge,

and i think last weekend there was an air show for 3 day over that side of town as well what i missed, ;)

First Name
Neil
Oh, I'll watch this with interest having just mangled the airfix 1/72 - this is going to be a bit large at 1/48 - what's the wingspan going to be? the 1/72 is definitely more than 30cm so this will be a bit of a monster.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Oh, I'll watch this with interest having just mangled the airfix 1/72 - this is going to be a bit large at 1/48 - what's the wingspan going to be? the 1/72 is definitely more than 30cm so this will be a bit of a monster.
Wing span is 69cm (27 inches)Neil.So it's a big model.

First Name
Dave
I made a start on this tonight.Glued the flight deck parts together and sprayed a coat of Alclad primer on them and the resin engines.The engines are much better detailed than the kit ones.But they don't have any pushrods.Some I will add some with plastic rod.I also glued two bulkheads inside one fuselage half.Ive taped both halves together whilst the glue dries to make sure they are positioned properly.The fuselage sides are slightly warped near the front end.So I've clamped them whilst the glue on the bulkhead sets.Havent decided if I'm going to have the bomb doors open or closed yet.But I am going to rescribe the raised detail.

View attachment 102322

View attachment 102323

View attachment 102324

View attachment 102325

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

Those engines look the business Dave

And the 1st time I've seen a G-clamp used on a model!

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Those engines look the business Dave
And the 1st time I've seen a G-clamp used on a model!
'G' clamps are essential modelling tools when you build these old kits!.