Dog Green. Omaha Beach, 6th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron

Ramp down, 30 seconds!" Omaha Beach, June 6th, 6-45am, 'Dog Green Sector'. Vierville​

I made a trilogy on here a few years back based on the landings at Omaha, but never had a go at the initial 'ramp down' stage, so here goes......

Bit of a prelude and info. for anyone who's not visited this beach.
My wife and I toured down the Normandy coast doing all the familiar place names including Omaha beach, cemetery and museum.
It's only when I walked from the water's edge to the bluffs below the American Cemetery, that it hit home just what the 1st, and following waves of infantry had to endure that awful day.....

Here's a few pictures of the beach etc.

The huge cemetery is behind the trees. The bluffs were riddled with M.G. nests, some are still visible but you have to look carefully!
Normandy  France May 2013 501 (2).jpg

A dull day. The cemetery is along the bluffs to the left of this picture.
Normandy  France May 2013 469 (2).jpg

The soldiers had no idea that these big 'Lakes' were present and so deep. The landing craft grounded before these and the poor soldiers running in ankle deep water, suddenly found themselves in up to 6/8ft of water. Many were drowned.
Normandy  France May 2013 485 (2).jpg

This fisherman was only knee deep - at the edge.
Normandy  France May 2013 474 (2).jpg

These next two shots show just how steep the sand was by these 'pools'. Remains of an L.C.T. in the foreground.
Normandy  France May 2013 496 (2).jpg

I estimated this bank as around 8ft tall. Imagine being shot at and trying to run for your life or at best quickly walk and stumble, only to slide down one of these, fully laden with your kit.....
Normandy  France May 2013 492 (2).jpg

Shots of some of the defences.

...above the beach at Vierville (Dog Green)
Normandy  France May 2013 600 (2).jpg

The view from the above
Normandy  France May 2013 601 (2).jpg

There were dozens of these M.G. slits along the dunes and undergrowth etc. Very hard to spot.
Normandy  France May 2013 607 (2).jpg

A gun emplacement at Vierville with the remains of the American Mulberry Harbour behind, The 'harbour' was wrecked during a violent storm shortly after D. Day and never re-built. The Americans decided to ride their landing craft etc. directly onto the beach.
Normandy  France May 2013 608.jpg

Roughly halfway along the 'Prom', this area marks the spot where all the dead from the landings were temporarily interned.

Some low life had stolen the plaque....
Normandy  France May 2013 618 (2).jpg

A big gun emplacement
Normandy  France May 2013 575 (2).jpg

...and the commanding view. Pity, but the tide was in.
Normandy  France May 2013 583 (2).jpg

The American Cemetery above Omaha Beach.
Normandy  France May 2013 547 (2).jpg

Normandy  France May 2013 529 (2).jpg

The Memorial on Omaha Beach.
Normandy  France May 2013 459 (2).jpg

There you go. A bit of an insight as to what the Americans had to endure at Omaha on June 6th 1944.
The photos were taken during my last visited to Normandy in 2013. If anyone has more of their own pictures of Omaha, please feel free to post them on this thread.

Next the build.

Initially, because I don't really like modelling violence, I was a bit twitchy about starting this dio., but I sort of look at it as a sort of tribute to the people who went through that awful day on that awful beach........

As usual, I have only a rough, basic idea as to how to go about it! I'll just let things develop as I go along, but here are the main players.

P1340138.JPG

P1340143.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Although D-Day is seen as a success, the beginning of the end, the fight back against tyranny etc for so many families it changed their lives for ever. The size of the cemeteries is hard to comprehend.
I am sure you'll make a great job of modelling the landing on Omaha.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Agreed the previous comments - you have a visceral engagement with this historical moment, Look forward to the end result, oorah!
Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Interesting photos boys, thanks for posting.

It's not meant to, but some might interpret this post that I'm most ungrateful for your participation and could well upset others too, but as I requested at the thread start, can we keep any more being posted to just our own 'holiday' pictures and just the Omaha Beach Landing area - and, of course the Cemetery.
If not, I fear we might get swamped with 'tinternet stuff.

Thanks.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Interesting concept 570..... I shall follow along. Not been to Normandy so have nothing to offer......not sure if Idu and the boys will be much help.....keep an eye out for JR's "Seagoing Feather Merchant"...... I understand he might be lurking about.;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve been to Omaha twice, and both times found it extremely moving. I really think it is somewhere you need to visit to get the full emotional impact and the scale the task of attacking it presented. I have quite a few photos, so may look some out later.

However, a slight, but relevant aside, if I may.
When I visited Brookwood CWGC cemetery and the attached US cemetery I discovered something that surprised me. I’m sure you spotted graves in Normandy where the names had been highlighted by sand pressed into the carvings Ron. The custodians do that so that visitors that are there to see the last resting place of their relatives can get clear photos of the grave markers. It’s done at all American military cemeteries. What I found out was that US custodIans the world over use sand from Omaha beach for this task as it is considered sacred to them.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Interesting photos boys, thanks for posting.

It's not meant to, but some might interpret this post that I'm most ungrateful for your participation and could well upset others too, but as I requested at the thread start, can we keep any more being posted to just our own 'holiday' pictures and just the Omaha Beach Landing area - and, of course the Cemetery.
If not, I fear we might get swamped with 'tinternet stuff.

Thanks.
Ron
Opps missed that when I read your post

Peter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I'm on a winner re. the uniform colours. I just need to get them near enough (No change there then!:upside:) The reason being, on D. Day the troops were embarked into their L.. C.'s 12 miles from the beaches.

So therefore they must have been soaked through even before they ran down the ramps. Wet clobber = dark shades of all sorts. not nicely coloured uniforms. However, I will initially paint the figures summat like.

Here's a look at the figures. Soft plastic, excellent poses and precious little mould lines (thank goodness) Being soft plastic, I've decided to brush the figures with some grey primer.

P1330979.JPG

P1330980.JPG

Next, I'll start to add some detail.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Neil and Rick.

Rick. They are 1/72 made by Pegasus Hobbies. Very nice figures and all 39 are different poses.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You've reminded me that I started a generic beach landing dio using these figures. Alas, I ran out of steam after only painting about six of them. There are some excellent poses included in the set and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They look pretty good Ron. Didn’t realise Pegasus were softs though, always thought they were hard plastic for some reason.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some very sobering photos of the beach 570, going somewhere like that really shows what those brave men had to face .
You'll do a great build in that I'm sure .