Dog Green. Omaha Beach, 6th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your contributions chaps. :thumb2:

I've made a start on brush painting the figures.....

I prefer to paint them on the sprues.

I'm never fussy with the initial coating, it wastes too much time. I just get the different colours on and not bother if they overlap. I do the final cutting in at the very last stage.

Rough as a bear's a***!
P1340139.JPG

P1340140.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Neil.
Offer accepted. :thumb2:

I've completed one of the figures to get the paint colours something like. - Only 38 to go!

Nice detail.
P1340171.JPG

P1340191.JPG

P1340190.JPG

P1340192.JPG

There are also large and small sand bases included in the kit
P1340183.JPG

Calling all 'Zoom Merchants' These small figures should only be viewed at a scale distance. Similar to the top 4 shots !

It could be argued that as most, if not all the finished pictures could well be in B/W, there is probably no need to paint the figures in the first place. At least with doing so, there should be a bit of contrast.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks again Neil and thanks for your interest, Mike.

Number of colours - 10. 11 if you include the blue life preserves some are wearing. (As is the figure above)

It's impossible to write how long to paint one of these Ranger figures. I tend to start with one colour and paint all the figures with this, then move on to the next colour, and so on.......

One thing is for sure. It takes a b****y long time.!

Ron

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's the only way to paint this volume of figs, otherwise you'd spend too much time switching about w/paint & brushes. Doing the basics on the sprue is also helpful in my experience.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Figures look good. Even with a simplified painting process I can imagine the many hours these are going to take. Chin up and paint on :smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, it’s Tuesday so I’m painting trousers is the only way to deal with batch painting figures. As to time taken, we’ll it will be no more than any other aspect of a good model. Good light, and music with a beat, helps ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

Sorry, not had a chance to comment before. Just to say love the idea and have no doubt you'll be able to pull it off.

Love the start on the figures, they've started very well indeed!

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A bit late - No, very late, but thanks for the posts chaps.

........570 get stuck in
chrisb
Getting stuck in, Chris. :thumb2:

I've completed the painting of the figures, so now I need a landing craft. I have a 1/72 Higgins Boat in the stash, but because most of the 'Action' will take place on and around the L.C.'s ramp, it would be a shame to use a good, nicely detailed kit for possibly just the front section.
So I'm going to make a basic one from this bit of cereal box. (Other similar cereals are available. I just happen to prefer this one)

Some might remember, a while back I made a wrecked L.C.P. out of card, so I'm not completely in the dark! Which makes for a very pleasant change.

I will scale up the Higgins from the kit instruction's colour call out onto a piece of paper, cut the shapes out and then transfer them onto this cardboard. Just like that! :cold-sweat: :upside:
P1340143.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
.....just add milk and a dash of sugar or perhaps even a drizzle of honey.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Possibly one for admin........

I know long titles are frowned on (Which I didn't think mine was) But what's happened to my thread title? It's lost all the important detail!

All I have left now is the ultimate 'Click Bait'. Any potential viewer won't have a clue what the build is about and be forced to take the bait.

Whereas shortening the title to perhaps, 'Dog Green. Omaha Beach June 6th 1944', would have let folks know the exact content. They could then have an informed choice as to whether to open the thread or move on.

Looking at the title as it now stands, I could be building the ramp on the River Mersey, Liverpool Ferry!

...and a very fine ramp it is too.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Ron, could we have a peek at all the wee lads you painted? Also what brand are they? The details look really good on the few I saw in August. ;) :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron, could we have a peek at all the wee lads you painted? Also what brand are they? The details look really good on the few I saw in August. ;) :thumb2:
Hi Rick.
They are 1/72 Pegasus. U.S. Rangers. Great little figures, apart from that softish plastic.

Here's a few of the 39 figures you get in the box. Most of the others are 'Running', so wouldn't stand up!
P1340936.JPG

Bear on mind they will all be soaking wet, so will be a lot darker at the finishing line.

Cheers.
Ron