Dog Green. Omaha Beach, 6th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rick. :thumb2:

More progress on this.....

As I wrote earlier, because I didn't want to waste the detailed 1/72 kit I possess of a Higgins boat, all for what will be in essence the bow bit, I decided to scratch build a basic version of the vessel using a cereal packet.

I scaled up the L.C. from the colour callout sheet included in the plastic kit, transferred the shapes to pieces of paper and used these as templates to mark out onto the back of the cereal packet.

The various gussets, gun shields etc. are offcuts of thin plastic card.

To add a bit of detail, I've started adding some 'bits' from my spares box .

Here's the initial construction.
P1330295.JPG

P1330293.JPG

P1330294.JPG

P1330296.JPG

The actual L.C. has a slightly 'V' shaped hull. Because it won't be seen, a lot of work was avoided. Thus, the front elevation is as flat as a witch's tit, with only a slight bend front to back....
P1330297.JPG

The ramp grooves are lines cut into the card and then a wash of paint applied. Quickly, the excess paint was wiped off leaving the darker lines on the deck.
P1330298.JPG

P1330299.JPG

A bit manky around the edges and still plenty of work to do, but the basic craft is laid down.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Ron, your floating cereal box is a truly novel idea and looks fantastic Sir!!! I only hope you are going to paint the interior of it though. The poor guys are seasick enough getting to the beach but having to see Wheat Bisks on the walls would only make it worse on their poor stomachs!!!

Great paint work on the little fellas too!!! Top job on the detailing and your steady hand doing it...

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lovely stuff chaps!

Allen. I thought a set of crashing waves would look nice painted along the inside of the L.C.

Neil. I'm glad this bit of nonsense stirs a memory or two too....

Jim. Wow! A Blue Peter badge. Nearly on a par with 'The Dog's' Award from 453!

Next instalment we'll be making a full sized model of Mt. Kilimanjaro out of empty plastic washing up bottles! Stay tuned.....

All good fun.

Lots of love,
John Noakes, Peter Purves and Valerie Singleton...and a certain naughty elephant!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As we 'adn't 'eard from you for a few days, I thought you'd gone swannin' off with your missus again - like you said you was gonna do! 'stead of which you bin beaverin' away in your man cave like a good 'un!

D'you want me to start savin' my empty Fairy Liquid bottles an' offcuts of sticky-back plastic for your next build? I reckon I could 'ave a boxful by the time we get to Cosford again!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Heck of a job on that 570........you could load it up and the troops on Omaha would have tons of Wheat Bisk to survive on while dealing with the dastardly enemy!! I am always amazed at your resourcefulness when it comes to building models......looking forward to "Kilimanjaro"! ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your humorous and encouraging posts chaps. Luv 'em all!

To Dave. I'm scanning the horizon for something suitable....and as you are well aware, I'm a founder member of the 'Cheapskate Club', so of course the kit has to encompass my price range. ;)

I've been off camping this last week, so I hope your boys and girls have been collecting all your mum's empty washing up liquid bottles in my absence?

I took the L.C. away with me and finished it. I've added more totally fictitious bits and bobs. added the two wire ramp lowering thingies and the weapons.
I painted it in U.S. grey and ritted the number on it in white pen.

Please note it's not meant to look exactly like a real 'un, simply a summat like.

It still needs a bit of weathering. Not much, as some of these vessels were brand new and built especially for D. Day.
P1330332.JPG

P1330327.JPG

P1330328.JPG

P1330335.JPG

P1330331.JPG

P1330338.JPG

P1330336.JPG

P1330340.JPG

P1330341.JPG

Next, I'll have a go at building the various beach obstacles. Then move on to the wet bit!

Cheers all.
Ron

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for all your humorous and encouraging posts chaps. Luv 'em all!

To Dave. I'm scanning the horizon for something suitable....and as you are well aware, I'm a founder member of the 'Cheapskate Club', so of course the kit has to encompass my price range. ;)

I've been off camping this last week, so I hope your boys and girls have been collecting all your mum's empty washing up liquid bottles in my absence?

I took the L.C. away with me and finished it. I've added more totally fictitious bits and bobs. added the two wire ramp lowering thingies and the weapons.
I painted it in U.S. grey and ritted the number on it in white pen.

Please note it's not meant to look exactly like a real 'un, simply a summat like.

It still needs a bit of weathering. Not much, as some of these vessels were brand new and built especially for D. Day.
View attachment 466572

View attachment 466573

View attachment 466574

View attachment 466575

View attachment 466576

View attachment 466577

View attachment 466578

View attachment 466579

View attachment 466580

Next, I'll have a go at building the various beach obstacles. Then move on to the wet bit!

Cheers all.
Ron
Very nice indeed :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dear 570 , the Committee here at Race Towers are busy consulting the rule book to see if such material is a blatant misuse of cardboard on what appears to be a very cleaver build.